Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some battlesuit question?
Old 17 Oct 2008, 17:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Some battlesuit question?

I bought some battlesuit , there had couple smart system i can pick, multi -tracker, shiled generator, target lock , missile pod, what are the pros and cons? Cause I dont want to equap the wrong thing.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 17:50   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Some battlesuit question?

Most people go Plasma rifle, Missile pod, multi tracker. This build makes the suits quite verstatile, they can do both light and heavy infantry and vehicles if needed

- Ghizza, Warboss of Dem Easta Fringe Purpa Krumpaz
mindscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 17:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well I'm not sure what you are looking for? Your question is somewhat nebulous.

Are you trying to identify every system/weapon on the sprue? In which case the pictures at the end of your Tau empire codex will easily answer this question.

Are you trying to figure out which, amongst the system you named, you should take to equip your Crisis suit? In this case it would be nice to know what you are facing so we can suggest the optimal configuration.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 18:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If you want a suit that can do almost anything, there are two I would recommend.
Deathrain (Twin linked missile pods) with either a shield generator, targeting array, or flamer as the third hardpoint.
Fire Storm (Missile pod, multi tracker, and burst cannon) Costs less than a fireknife (Missile Pod, multi tracker, and plasma rifle), does pretty much the same thing, and can do it from 18" away. Not to mention it comes to a round 50 points per suit.

If you want a suit that can kill heavy infantry, try the Helio (Plasma, Multi Tracker, and fusion cannon)

As for pro's and cons of the support systems

Multi Tracker
Pro's, allows you to fire two weapons and can be hardwired on a team leader
Con's: none
Shield Generator
Pro's Gives you a 4+ save
Con's can't be hard wired and a shield drone does pretty much the same things for a cheaper cost. In small games, its better to go with the shield drone, however, in 1500 and up battles, go with both
Target Lock
Pro's you can fire at a separate target than the rest of your squad and can be hard wired on a teamleader
Con's: It should almost never be used since its not good to split your fire, the only case where it is useful is if you join your commander to a kroot team or the like for the leadership boost
Missile pod (This is not a support system by the by)
Pro's Good at everything and has a 36" range
Con's not great at anything

Hoped that helped, and if you could tell us what type of warmy your running, it would be helpful

Quote:
Most people go Plasma rifle, Missile pod, multi tracker. This build makes the suits quite verstatile, they can do both light and heavy infantry and vehicles if needed
Actually, with the cost increase, its not as popular as it once was. It is being replaced with more specialized crisis suits.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 18:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Pro's you can fire at a separate target than the rest of your squad and can be hard wired on a teamleader
Con's: It should almost never be used since its not good to split your fire, the only case where it is useful is if you join your commander to a kroot team or the like for the leadership boost
I disagree. Splitting fire is a strength, not a weakness. I run a two man deathrain team with targeting arrays and a hardwired target lock. That team has proved a boon, having the ability to take out multiple tanks with a single unit.

Their crowning moment was when I deepstruck them behind a predator and a whirlwind and took them both out. The only other army that can do something like that is Space Wolves, and that's only on one unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 19:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

okeydoke - in alphabetical order!

Airbursting Fragmentation Projector (special issue). - You can only have one per Army, but is a very nice piece of kit. Large Blast Marker, removes cover saves. Most Effective against Light/Medium infantry/swarms/Horde armies. If you are playing against Nids or Orks its a very good choice.
(short range)

Burst Cannon - The old faithful of the Tau list. Cheap, Good rate of fire, high strength. Good against Light/Medium Infantry, or models with invulnerable saves due to its high rate of fire. Also Horde armies (again, the high rate of fire). - It is not a weapon designed to particularly kill one thing, but enough shots pumped out will make most things hurt. In my opinion though there are better weapons to put on your suits.
(short Range)

Cyclic Ion Blaster (special issue). - You can only have one per Army, one for the dice gods! Very high rate of fire, but low strength. Wounding rolls of a 6 go AP1. Best given to your Commander who has a high enough BS to gain maximun advantage from its shots. Can be devastating if you get lucky. Good against Light/Medium/Heavy infantry (sometimes). Lots of shots (for example a Shas'o with this and a burst cannon would get 8 BS5 shots at 18 Inch's). The low strength makes it hard to wound sometimes though, although the potential to go AP1 can cause problems even for Monstrous Creatures. Useless against vehicles. If the Dice Gods like you - its awesome.
(Short Range)

Flamer - New Template rules make this an awesome weapon (when Twinlinked) - Other than that its best use is to cheaply fill up a Hardpoint/provide an extra useful close range weapon. If Given to Deepstriking suits and Twinlinked can cause one hell of alot of damage (for very little points investment). Best used against Light/Medium Infantry, swarms, Horde armies (Nids, Orks) etc, although when twinlinked can be effective against even Heavy Infantry if they are in a big (tightly packed) unit. Perfect answer to Deepstriking enemy. No cover saves against flamers so perfect for frying infantry off objectives.
(very short range)

Fusion Blaster - Melta Weapon. Very Very good against Vehicles and Heavy infantry (low rate of fire though so in an anti infantry role needs to be use in concert with another weapon). Fairly pointless against light/medium infantry. Very good to use against Marines, Terminators, Necrons, Tanks - Anything with a Good Save. Stands a Good chance of insta killing characters. Useful when given (Twin Linked) to Deepstriking single suits, makes them very effective Tank Busters. Or as a back up Tank Killing/Meq/MC killer in concert with another weapon system. A very useful piece of kit.
(short range)

Missile Pod - Loved by all (Tau Players) hated by all (Non Tau Players). High strength, Long Range, Good Rate of Fire - Maximum Killyness. Very Very effective against Light Vehicles, Medium Infantry (AP 4), Stands a chance against most main Tanks, Good against Monstrous Creatures (High Strength means likely to wound and force saves). Works effectively with every other weapon system. Seems a waste to use them against Light infantry, but the high ROF and the fact they work well with all systems still makes it a good option). Against MEQ infantry (heavy) is less effective as they will get saves - but high strength means it normally always wounds. Twin Linked I cant think of a better long range Light Vehicle/Transport killer in the game.
(Long Range)

Plasma Rifle. - Rapid firing, High strength, High Ap Plasma Death. Probably most Tau Players favourite weapon. Excellent against Heavy Infantry, MEQ, MC's and effective against Light Vehicles. Really will chew through most things very quickly at close range. Less effective against light infantry/invulnerable saves as its high points cost makes it uneconomical. Its hard to find a better MEQ killing gun in the game though.
(medium range).

Hope that helps!
Old 17 Oct 2008, 19:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I disagree. Splitting fire is a strength, not a weakness. I run a two man deathrain team with targeting arrays and a hardwired target lock. That team has proved a boon, having the ability to take out multiple tanks with a single unit.
Well, it would be good except that you have to declare that you spilt your fire before you roll to hit. Not to mention that they don't work in 5th edition (due to target priority tests being eliminated) if you go by RAW.

Quote:
Plasma Rifle. - Rapid firing, High strength, High Ap Plasma Death. Probably most Tau Players favourite weapon. Excellent against Heavy Infantry, MEQ, MC's and effective against Light Vehicles. Really will chew through most things very quickly at close range. Less effective against light infantry/invulnerable saves as its high points cost makes it uneconomical. Its hard to find a better MEQ killing gun in the game though.
(medium range).
I would disagree that you should use it against MEQ's. The SDT is a much better choice for that task. However, against TEQ's, it is really great.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
Old 18 Oct 2008, 01:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the info. It really helps.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 02:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Whatever you do, don't glue the weapons in. Some people use magnets, or with a few layers of paint the weapons fit in the slots and don't fall out easily. And, for some shameless advertising:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=65022
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=68236

Quote:
Quote:
Well, it would be good except that you have to declare that you spilt your fire before you roll to hit. Not to mention that they don't work in 5th edition (due to target priority tests being eliminated) if you go by RAW.
You could also argue that because the test no longer exists, they autopass it.

Quote:
Quote:
(medium range).
I would disagree that you should use it against MEQ's. The SDT is a much better choice for that task. However, against TEQ's, it is really great.
And I would disagree with you. But this is down to personal preference and experiences.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 03:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
(medium range).

And I would disagree with you. But this is down to personal preference and experiences.
True, since you are fairly good with numbers, do you think you could run the MEQ kills per point on a Fireknife versus a SDT and post your findings?
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/