Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pimp My Ride: Devilfish
Old 16 Oct 2008, 18:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Pimp My Ride: Devilfish

In a 750pt game vs Vanilla Marines the other day I tried pimping one of my 2 FW Squads with a tricked out Devilfish:

'Fish: Targeting Array, Multi-tracker, Smart Missile System, Disruption Pods (duh)

Being able to put an additional 7 accurate str5/ap5 shots in support of the 10 FWs it was carrying was pretty big in contesting the opponent's control point to win the game.

Does anyone else use this setup often? Kinda pricey but I see it balancing out like this:
  • 2 FWs 20pts- can rapid fire 4 shots out to 12", 2 shots out to 30", die pretty quickly, counts as troops
  • Smart Missile System 20pts- can always fire 4 shots out to 24", harder to kill being on the 'fish, draws fire or shields FWs from attacks
  • Targeting Array 10pts- costs same as 1 markerlight, but always adds reliability to 7 shots where the markerlight sometimes manages that
  • Multi-tracker 5pts- If you're taking the other systems, this is a no-brainer and for 5pts it is worth it

I always run my mobile FW teams at 12 (11 FWs+'ui) so dropping that number by 3 to increase the effective support of their Devilfish seems an acceptable trade off. I will probably try this in higher point games with 2 or 3 mounted teams.
FieldCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 19:31   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Auroth Send a message via MSN to Auroth
Default Re: Pimp My Ride: Devilfish

What you got there is a Warfish

And, i find it pretty useful. It's actually REALLY useful when you have to take the Path Finders with their Devilfish. Instead of a transport you'll never use, you can pimp it out to make it act like a fast attack tank.

Now, for dedicated transports for FW, i think this configuration does give a lot of fire support to our Troops.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 22:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Does it have Pink fuzzy dice in the front view port? >

On a serious note. (Yes, I can be serious.) The configuration is very effective, I would be concerned with the point cost of the tank itself. At 120 points, that is a nice chunk for a unit. At 55 more points, you have a decent Rail head that can kill more faster and has better armor.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 22:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzin927
Does it have Pink fuzzy dice in the front view port? >

On a serious note. (Yes, I can be serious.) The configuration is very effective, I would be concerned with the point cost of the tank itself. At 120 points, that is a nice chunk for a unit. At 55 more points, you have a decent Rail head that can kill more faster and has better armor.
Forget the Railhead. For about 10 points more, you can get an Ionhead, which gets AP 3 shots.

Nevertheless, that setup is, in fact, useful, especially considering that the Devilfish isn't using up any force org slots. Also, SMS rocks in 5th edition.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 23:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

And pimp the Pathfinders ride up to a Warfish and you have a outflanking tank Which always makes a pleasent first impression (in somebodies forehead).
Old 17 Oct 2008, 00:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The warfish is not quite as nice (some would say cheesy, overpowered, or similar) in 5th edition as it was in 4th, but it's still quite nice. Whether to add the SMS is a question of total firepower vs mobile firepower. A full warfish has to move 6" or less to fire everything, which means it will be hit on 4+ in melee against the rear armor. A 'fish with gun drones (and multi-tracker and targeting array) actually has more firepower (5 shots vs 4) at cruising speed, will only be hit on a 6 in melee, and has a better chance of "kiting" the unit that's trying to assault it.

In a large enough battle, I usually use 2 pathfinder devilfish. One is a warfish and deploys normally with a large rail rifle squad. The other usually has gun drones and a pair of seeker missiles, and outflanks with a smaller squad of pathfinders that usually end up actiing like carbine fire warriors.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 14:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
The warfish is not quite as nice (some would say cheesy, overpowered, or similar) in 5th edition as it was in 4th, but it's still quite nice. Whether to add the SMS is a question of total firepower vs mobile firepower. A full warfish has to move 6" or less to fire everything, which means it will be hit on 4+ in melee against the rear armor. A 'fish with gun drones (and multi-tracker and targeting array) actually has more firepower (5 shots vs 4) at cruising speed, will only be hit on a 6 in melee, and has a better chance of "kiting" the unit that's trying to assault it.
How do you figure that the Warfish has more fire power with the Drones? Any Gun Drone that's taken on a vehicle is counted as a weapon system on the vehicle for the purpose of determining what you can fire after moving. So you can still only move 6" to get all 5 shots. The only acception to this, and it can only be done once, is if you move the 12" and dismount the Gun Drones. The Smart missile system is a much better choice. You either get 7 shots when moving 6", or 4 shots when moving 12, as opposed to your suggested 5 at 6" and 3 at 12".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 16:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTop1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
How do you figure that the Warfish has more fire power with the Drones? Any Gun Drone that's taken on a vehicle is counted as a weapon system on the vehicle for the purpose of determining what you can fire after moving. So you can still only move 6" to get all 5 shots. The only acception to this, and it can only be done once, is if you move the 12" and dismount the Gun Drones. The Smart missile system is a much better choice. You either get 7 shots when moving 6", or 4 shots when moving 12, as opposed to your suggested 5 at 6" and 3 at 12".
actually, the gun drone entry in the vehicle armory clearly states that gun drones may fire in addition to any other weapon(s) the vehicle is normally allowed to fire...
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Abemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 17:01   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Ah I was really hoping I would come in here and see pictures of a tricked out Devilfish. :P

Personally I love using tooled up APC's as combat units, regardless of the race. Devilfish are not bad at this.