Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Tau vs. Space Marines ~600 points
Old 16 Oct 2008, 03:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default [BatRep] Tau vs. Space Marines ~600 points

First off, this game used the rules for combat patrol in the 4[sup]th[/sup] edition rules in that we each only had to have one troops choice. We wanted a quick, but interesting game.

Point of view is from the Tau end of the table, so the right side would be the Tau right flank

We played on a 4x4 table, and deployed using table quarters. There were three objectives: a fuel barrel in the middle of the table, a box with a skull on it (sorry, I'm not really sure what it is) in the near left table quarter set in a piece of wreckage (Maccrage), and a power generator set up in the far right table corner in an enormous city ruin.

Terrain-wise, there was one city ruin (five levels, including the ground level) in the far right table corner, and Maccrage spaceship parts scattered around the battlefield. Tau deployed in the near right quarter, and Space Marines in the far left.

Tau Force

Shas'o
twin-linked plasma rifles, shield generator, iridium armor, vectored retro-
thrusters, hardwired target lock

Shas'vre
plasma rifle, missile pod, targeting array, hardwired multi-tracker, stimulant
injectors

Fire Warriors x12
pulse rifles

Pathfinders x8
2x railguns

Devilfish
seeker missile

Sniper Drone Team

Space Marine Force

Captain
plasma pistol, lightining claw

Sternguard Veterans x5
veteran sergeant with power fist

Tactical Marines x10
missile launcher, flamer

Rhino Transport

Scouts x5
heavy bolter

Whirlwind
pintle mounted storm bolter

Originally Posted by monocleman
... :'(
Awww, don't cry! There, there. You'll mist up your monocle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
Games workshop hurts babies. >
monocleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 03:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: [BatRep] Tau vs. Space Marines ~600 points

You couldnt have more then 2 wounds in 4th edition patrol. Both vre, and o have more then 2.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 04:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sorry, I accidentally hit the post button.

Anyway.

Tau Deployment: (deployment zones are 12 inches from table corner) pathfinders deploy at the left edge of the deployment zone, so that they can deny the box objective to the space marines (only troops can capture objectives now ???). Their Devilfish deploys right next to them. Fire Warriors deploy as close as possible to the power generator objective, spread out as much as possible because of the Whirlwind. Sniper drones are as far back as they can get, hoping their stealth field generators will protect them. Commander and other crisis suit are in reserve.

Space Marine Deployment: Whirlwind is deployed as far back as possible, just like the sniper drones. Sternguard veterans are deployed just in front of it, along with the captain. The Tactical Marines start the game in their Rhino transport, as close to the box objective as they can get. Scouts infiltrate into the city ruin to take the power generator objective.

Pathfinders use Scout rule to move closer to the box objective.

Space Marines go first.

Turn 1

The Rhino moves flat out, and dumps the Marines right in front of the pathfinders. They rapid fire with their heavy bolters, killing three.
The Scouts attempt to fire at the Fire Warriors with their heavy bolter, but are not within 6" of the edge of the city ruin, and find their line of sight blocked.
The Whirlwind fires its vengeance missiles at the Fire Warriors, but the shot scatters into empty ground.
The Sternguard Veterans fire Kraken bolts at the Tau Fire Warriors, and kill two.

The Fire Warrior squad runs toward the city ruin, stopping just inside of it.
The Devilfish moves to try and pick up the Pathfinders, but is to far away, and fires at the Marines instead. Its drones disembark and also fire at the Marines. Neither burst cannon nor pulse carbines kill anything.
The Pathfinders fire at the Space Marines, but amazingly, none are killed, despite the two rail rifles. The Sniper Drones enjoy more success, killing three of the Marines.

Turn 1 Casualties:
3 Tau Pathfinders
2 Tau Fire Warriors
3 Space Marines

Turn 2

Space Marine Scouts move to the edge of the city ruin; they can now see the Fire Warriors.
The Tactical Squad moves to within assaulting range of the Pathfinders.
The Whirlwind attempts to fire at the Sniper Drones, but they are saved by their stealth fields (It will be several turns before the Space Marine Captain realises that the maximum possible range when rolling for nightfight is 36" and that, since his Whirlwind is well over 36" away from my Sniper Drones, he cannot hope to hit them unless he moves closer. Such is the tactical brilliance of the Imperium).
The Scouts rapid fire at the Fire Warriors, killing one.
The Sternguard Veterans fire Kraken bolts at the Fire Warriors, killing two more.
The Tactical Squad chooses not to assault, and instead kills the remaining Pathfinders with bolter rounds.

Neither Crisis suit comes in from reserve.
The Devilfish deploys its two gun drones, and then fires at the Tactical squad with its burst cannon, failing to kill any Marines. The two gun drones and the Sniper Drone squadron also fire at the Marines, again killing none.
The gun drones then assault the Marines, losing one drone and killing zero Marines.

Turn 2 Casualties
5 Tau Pathfinders
3 Tau Fire Warriors
1 Tau Gun Drone

Turn 3

The Whirlwind again attempts to fire at the Sniper Drones, missing due to the stealth fields. The Sternguard Veterans and Scout Squad kill all but two of the Fire Warriors with bolter fire, and the Space Marine Tactical squad finishes off the last gun drone in the assault phase. They use their consolidation move to take control of the box objective.

Again, neither Crisis suit comes in from reserve.
The Devilfish, fearing the Tactical Squad's missile launcher, flies over to where the Fire Warriors are fighting a losing battle against the Scouts. It fires its burst cannon, but it has no effect.
The Tau finally enjoy some success when the Sniper Drone Squad kills two Tactical Marines.
The remaining two Fire Warriors again fire at the Scouts, but fail to kill any. Again.

Turn 3 Casualties
5 Tau Fire Warriors
1 Tau Gun Drone

Turn 4

The Scouts kill another Fire Warrior, leaving one left alive, which is quickly blown apart by another Kraken round from the Sternguard Veterans.
The Tactical Squad tries to fire at the Sniper Drone Squad, but technology prevails, and they are unable to distinguish the drones from the dirt around them.
The Whirlwind again tries to fire at the Sniper Drone Squad, again finding that it cannot see them. I was surprised that my opponent had not figured this out yet, so I told him why he had no hope of ever hitting my sniper drones.

Neither Crisis suit comes in from reserve. This is getting really annoying.
The Tau Spotter hits the Rhino with a markerlight, and a seeker missile from the Devilfish manages to destroy it. The rest of the sniper drones fire at the Tactical Squad, killing two more Marines.
The Devilfish accomplishes more than a whole squad of Fire Warriors when it kills a scout with its burst cannon.

Turn 4 Casualties
2 Tau Fire Warriors
2 Tactical Marines
Rhino Transport

Turn 5

The Whirlwind moves forward 6", hoping to be able to fire at the Sniper Drones. Alas, it still does not roll high enough. The Scouts, on the other hand, manage to fire their heavy bolter at the Sniper Drones, but does not kill any.
For the first time in the game, the Sternguard Veterans are unable to fire at anything. What a shame.

Both Crisis suits finally come in from reserve, deepstriking just to the right of the three remaining Tactical Marines. They kill two with plasma rifles, and prepare to assault the lone sergeant.
The Devilfish and the Sniper Drone Squad both fire at the Scout squad, their combined fire killing two of them.
The two suits, both joined into a single unit now, assault the Space Marine sergeant and kill hime. They use their consolidation move to take cover behind the wreckage of the Rhino.

Turn 5 Casualties
3 Space Marines
2 Scouts

The game is over: there are no units left on the table that can capture objectives. Result: draw.

Wow.

I came very, very close to losing that battle.
... :'(
Awww, don't cry! There, there. You'll mist up your monocle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
Games workshop hurts babies. >
monocleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 05:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Yes, that was pretty close.

I guess the next thing to do is get more troops - as you can see, they are useful for holding objectives.

A think I do is use Devilfish transports to keep my precious, scoring Firewarriors safe. This is extra-good when playing in low point games, as there is little than can hurt them. Disruption pods are great for survivability, and if you cut some excess stuff you don't need on your Crisis suits, you could give it an SMS and multitracker and targeting array... very dangerous.

Good job.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 09:27   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
The Scouts attempt to fire at the Fire Warriors with their heavy bolter, but are not within 6" of the edge of the city ruin, and find their line of sight blocked.
You don't use True line of sight ?.... AFAIK even in area terrain, theres no such thing as 6" from the edge...
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 16:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

kroot is awesome because of their 3+ cover save in forests now.- with alot of bodies. they become v hard to dislodge
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 17:54   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

In turn one.....how can a Marine jump out of a vehicle and shoot a HEAVY bolter and how can your Devilfish be out of range of the unit that they have to start out being attached to? I think you've been cheated.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 18:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

typo?
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2008, 18:20   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I hope so....otherwise the marine player cheated and his pathfinder team was caught without the one thing that usually saves my pathfinders, thier devilfish.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 18:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONK
In turn one.....how can a Marine jump out of a vehicle and shoot a HEAVY bolter and how can your Devilfish be out of range of the unit that they have to start out being attached to? I think you've been cheated.
The pathfinder and devilfish don't need to be fielded next to each other...but must be put on the table at the same time IIRC.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote