Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

HELP!
Old 15 Oct 2008, 00:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default HELP!

Here's the situation: I'm about to play a large-ish apocalypse battle.

Here's the problem: I have 3000 points of Tau, but the my
opponent has 4000+ points of Space Marines. Normally, this isn't a problem, since he has no idea how to use strategy. He just kind of charges forward, and I shoot him to bits. Anyway, now, it is a problem, because he is now putting in about 1500 points of Imperial Guard, AND there are going to be trenches in his deployment zone.

Also, please don't be like some annoying people and post something like "use a Manta Missile Destroyer". Do you know ANYBODY who payed $1500 for a Manta Missile Destroyer?

I am on my knees begging for help. Otherwise, my Tau will get slaughtered.
Originally Posted by monocleman
... :'(
Awww, don't cry! There, there. You'll mist up your monocle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
Games workshop hurts babies. >
monocleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 00:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: HELP!

That's pretty brutal. If you check around to your local shops, you might find one of the crisis suit special things still on their shelf (they were recently discontinued) but there were 9 crisis suits, and 6 stealth suits for $125. Great deal, and would chew up some points.

If you are not interested in spending more money though, and you don't want to put a point limit on the game, you could try to make up the difference with terrain. You set up the board, entrench yourself, and he has to assault it. Make up some scenario rules that sound fun to both of you, and allow you to dig in and fortify.

The last option I can think of would be to grab someone with a 2500 pt army to come be on your team and even things up :P
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 00:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Actually there's a couple guys here who do indeed have a manta, alas don't recall their name though.

Well, you do play necron right? So you can field them along side your tau, bring you up to as many points as your opponent and this could fill up the CC aspect of your army.

For Trenches, I would say air fragmention (because it's Indirect) or the railgun pie plate to help soften them up a bit. Maybe some seeker missile while sending in your 'crons to force him out of the open.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 00:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That's true, one of the rules for apocalypse is that you can take troops from any codex isn't it? Though you might want to come to a consensus with him early that phase out will only apply to the robotic undead :P
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 03:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm thinking what you need to do is say "I've only got 3000 points, so unless there's a second player on my side you can't field over 3000 either!" Get somebody else to play or make him chop the points down to something reasonable. A game that lopsided isn't likely to be any fun regardless of how it turns out. You're going to be outnumbered almost 2 to 1, which sucks, and if you actually manage to win how's he going to feel that he couldn't beat you even with a points advantage like that?

I suppose Apocalypse can work if the sides are a bit lopsided, but I would just refuse to play when outnumbered like that. There is no shame whatsoever in refusing to play a game that is stacked against you that badly.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 04:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Apocalypse can work with lopsided forces, it specifically has rules for such in the main Apocalypse book.
In short, for every full 250 points less than your opponent that you have, you get to take another strategic asset. Given that he has about 5500 points worth of forces, and you have a mere 3000, that leaves a 2500 point gap, or enough for at least 10 additional strategic assets. You can take all sorts of fun things then…

Void Shield Generators, Disruptor Beacons, Null Fields, Orbital Bombardments, Scheduled Bombardments, Long Range Ack Ack, Vital Objective, Hold at All Costs, so on and so forth. You have ten choices (eleven including the asset you get by default), so have a look at the back of the Apoc book and decide what could best redress the balance of the battle.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 08:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Granted, the strategic assets exist for balancing the force, but when you need to make up half your points in strategic assets it's not a fair fight and the game is going to be pretty broken.

In my experience, Apocalypse is all about the gargantuan creatures and superheavy vehicles. If too much of the big stuff is on one side, that side has a huge advantage. Even though the points are supposed to even out, they really don't. The only thing that can counter a gargantuan creature / baneblade / titan / etc is another gargantuan creature / baneblade / titan / etc.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 12:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
I'm thinking what you need to do is say "I've only got 3000 points, so unless there's a second player on my side you can't field over 3000 either!"
I thought about that, but I think that he deserves some chance, seeing as he never wins with 4000 points.
Originally Posted by monocleman
... :'(
Awww, don't cry! There, there. You'll mist up your monocle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
Games workshop hurts babies. >
monocleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 15:45   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Try using some of the Apocalypse Battle Formations. Some of them are actually pretty good. There are some online at the GW website here.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...06&aId=3400020

Also, if you have it, take another look at Apocalypse: Reload and Imperial Armor: Apocalypse for other formations and assets. The Tau don't have overly dramatic formations (exception being the "Deathblow Cadre"), but they are highly effective. They will also make up the difference for points and lethality.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 15:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Designate 2500 points of his army as the extra units at the beginning of the game. Whenever that portion of his army kills anything, hit him in the face.