Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Jetpackers starting in difficult terrain? (WSJ)
Old 14 Oct 2008, 17:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Jetpackers starting in difficult terrain? (WSJ)

Just wondering, if it is possible for a jetpacker (say, a crisis suit) starting in difficult terrain to walk out of terrain (highest of 2d6)", then shoot, and finally jump 6" in the assault phase, or if jetpacker jump in the assault phase is forfeit, should you choose to walk as normal infantry in the movephase ?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2008, 21:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Jetpackers starting in difficult terrain? (WSJ)

IIRC:

You don't even have to walk out of the terrain to jump. You can jump out of terrain, shoot, then jump somewhere else. If you land in terrain, you have to make a dangerous terrain check. IIRC. So, walking into terrain, shooting and jumping out would make a good move. Hopefully I am correct.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2008, 21:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzin927
IIRC:

You don't even have to walk out of the terrain to jump. You can jump out of terrain, shoot, then jump somewhere else. If you land in terrain, you have to make a dangerous terrain check. IIRC. So, walking into terrain, shooting and jumping out would make a good move. Hopefully I am correct.
Not quite.
Any time a model a moves into, through, or out of dangerous terrain, it must make a dangerous terrain test. (limited to a maximum of 1 per phase for non-vehicle models.)

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2008, 21:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thank you. Been several several months since I have played a game with my Tau. :-[ I haven't been stuck playing Nids for so long, I am beginning to hear my Tau in my sleep saying they are feeling neglected.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2008, 21:26   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

... Which leads back to my question if I can WALK out of terrain (thus avoiding the dangerous terrain test), shoot as normal, and finally jump 6" away?..
Old 14 Oct 2008, 22:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders
... Which leads back to my question if I can WALK out of terrain (thus avoiding the dangerous terrain test), shoot as normal, and finally jump 6" away?..
If you [/i]walk[/i] out of difficult terrain, then of course no dangerous terrain test is required, just a difficult terrain roll.
Unless, of course, the terrain is also categorised as dangerous due to local gribblies or whatever.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2008, 22:27   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Seems everyone either do not understand the question - or simply dodges it...

IF a jetpacker unit chooses to walk out of terrain, may it subsequently shoot and jump, as it would normally ?
Old 14 Oct 2008, 22:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzin927
IIRC:

Not quite.
Any time a model a moves into, through, or out of dangerous terrain, it must make a dangerous terrain test. (limited to a maximum of 1 per phase for non-vehicle models.)
Woods aren't dangerous terrain. They don't effect jump-pack movement except that when jumping in you have to take a dangerous terrain test.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 23:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yes, you can walk then shoot then jump. There is no rule that says you must use the jump pack in the movement phase in order to use it in the assault phase. Nor is there a rule that says you must use the jump pack to gain relentless... just have one.

Relax a bit. I think the problem here is that you provided more information than the question required, and some are debating the other points of your question. No one is dodging it.

To the point that is being addressed by the other posters, you are incorrect about being able to jump out of terrain. Jump infantry that jumps; makes a dangerous terrain test if any of the models begin or end their move in difficult terrain.

It is generally a good idea to remember that people are here to help. As such, taking coarse tones is rarely going to paint one begging assistance in a favorable light, or encourage those able to help to do so. They were trying to help by telling you that you don't need to worry about it. Though they were misinformed about the rule.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 00:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Some posters here seem to be unaware of how the rules changed from 4th to 5th for jetpack infantry. In 4th edition, only jumping into difficult terrain produced a dangerous test. In 5th edition, jumping into or out of difficult terrain produces the test. It's usually interpreted that jetpack infantry can walk in the movement phase like regular foot-sloggers and still jump in the assault phase.

To answer the question simply, yes you can walk out of difficult terrain safely, rolling your 2d6 for distance, then jump safely in the assault phase. If you jump into or out of difficult terrain you get the full 6 inches of movement but you must make a dangerous terrain test. If you jump into difficult terrain in the movement phase and move again in the assault phase you must make a dangerous terrain test both times. Does that clear it up for everybody?
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote