Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bondage Kroot :p
Old 13 Oct 2008, 17:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Bondage Kroot :p

Hello all - Looking at ways of putting together a crazy Kroot based force (more for laughs than anything else!) - Flicking through my rule book I hit on the idea of Having 2 Huge Units Kroot (plus all the trimings) and adding a Shas'0 to each unit (giving the trusty corpse eating blighters LD 10). Then I went a step further - If I give the Commander a Bonding knife, then the kroot can regroup at under 50% (if the Commander is still alive). I have checked the codex - it does not "Specifically" say that non Tau units can't be bonded, although it is obviously anti fluff, the rules for it just state "So long as the bearer is alive the bonded team may regroup, even if below half strength".

What do you guys reckon (from a rules perspective!) am I missing something? Or are Kinky Bondage Kroot possible under RAW?
Old 13 Oct 2008, 18:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987
Default Re: Bondage Kroot :p

I've thought of this set up before, but with a Honour blade whielding Ethereal. Just sets better for combat reasons, but the Shas'o ups survivability (Especially if you take Shield Drones) and adds some fire-power to the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2008, 19:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think one thing got left out here. It states that the bonded team, as in the HQ team that the commander is part of. When he joins the Kroot, I can not see this as extending the bonding knife to the Kroot unit he just joined.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2008, 22:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes - I saw that, but it does not really state in the rules a definition of a bonded team - it looks like if someone with a Bonding Knife joins a unit - they are bonded. It doesent say that he has to be part of that unit at the beginning of the game.......

that's what confuses me :P
Old 13 Oct 2008, 23:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

When they made bonding knives wargear, they made this legal.

Remember: in the old 'dex, you could bond an entire squad. Now, you buy wargear for characters that confers certain bonuses on squads they are part of.

So, yes.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2008, 07:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks Mech
Old 14 Oct 2008, 14:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I do apologize, but I still disagree.

The Codex states, " Carried by the leader of the Fire caste Warrior teams who have performed the ritual of Ta'lissera and have bonded as a group. So long as the bearer is alive, the bonded team may regroup even if below half strength." The team that the codex refers to is the HQ team that the commander is or was part of. The only part of this that would be of doubt would be if the Commander could relay this bonus onto the group or unit that he joins as an IC.

Secondly, it states "Fire caste Warrior teams." Kroot are not part of the Fire Caste, since they are not Tau. Even if this sentence sound like just fluff, it is part of the rule for that piece of wargear and can not be disregarded. This sentence was not in the fluff part of the codex, but part of the rules explaining each wargear piece. A good arguement could be made for if the Commander joined a FireWarrior team, or a bunch of suits, but the Kroot seem barred by the fluff, and the way the rule is written.

Ignoring part of the entry, just because it suits you is like taking a Targetting Array and ignoring the only goes to BS 5 part. If you are playing against someone that doesn't know the Tau codex front to back, then you might get away with it. It wouldn't fly with out protest if I was the opponent.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
Old 14 Oct 2008, 14:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well I know for sure that Commander shadowsun have a bounding knife...and I strongly doubt that it's because of her 3 drones since she would have to be alone for the bonding knife bonus to kick in...So when an IC joins another unit the Bonding knife bonus is trasfered (That my understanding of it).

So joining up a team of Kroot of Vespid does indeed seems to transfer the bonus to them as long as the IC remains with them...because the wording doesn't explicitely exclude non-tau (as it is the case of Ethereal 'powers&#39.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2008, 14:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You are right Boneguard. It does not exclude Non-Tau. It is more specific then that. It excludes anything but Fire Caste. That would exclude, Ethereals, Water Caste Diplomats, Earth Caste engineers and Air Caste pilots. Kroot and Vespid are neither Tau, nor of the Fire Caste, nor part of the Fire Caste Warrior Teams that the codex states have bonding knives.

As for Shadow Sun, she just might have a bonding knife from her days as a Fire Warrior. I do agree that applying Shadow Sun to a Fire Warrior team, or a Suit team should apply the bonus to the unit, RAW but not RAI.

Old 14 Oct 2008, 14:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzin927
You are right Boneguard. It does not exclude Non-Tau. It is more specific then that. It excludes anything but Fire Caste. That would exclude, Ethereals, Water Caste Diplomats, Earth Caste engineers and Air Caste pilots. Kroot and Vespid are neither Tau, nor of the Fire Caste, nor part of the Fire Caste Warrior Teams that the codex states have bonding knives.

As for Shadow Sun, she just might have a bonding knife from her days as a Fire Warrior. I do agree that applying Shadow Sun to a Fire Warrior team, or a Suit team should apply the bonus to the unit, RAW but not RAI.
While I agree with you from a strict cannon fluff point, I disagree as far as rules go. The rules do not stop you from doing what is being posited and could make sense if you made up fluff to support it. Being a purist makes the game less fun for some and they (GW) wanted to give more freedom to players; the bonding knife is a good example of this.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote