Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bondage Kroot :p
Old 15 Oct 2008, 02:06   #11 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Bondage Kroot :p

RITUAL OF THE TA'LISSERA
Many Tau groupings are 'bonded', according to a solemn ceremony known as the Ta'lissera. The best translation which can derive form this word is communion or marriage. it apears to be some kind of sworn bond where groups of Tau pledge support and community to one another. The Tau who have sworn these pledges may adress each other by their individual names and are much admired.

This bond is seen as the ultimate Tau expression of respect for one another as it symbolises the sacrifice of individual pride to become part of a greater whole. The Ta'lissera is most commanly found within the ranks of the fire caste and the earth caste work teams, who regard themselves as ennobled by their bond of communal purpose.

that is the article of fluff in the codex, it doesnt say that bonding is limited to just fire warriors or the fire caste. in my opinion kroot should be able to be bonded as it would be like the kroot embracing Tau culture and the greater good, it is abit of a loop hole but if a shas'o or an ethereal is using a kroot for a body guard unit it should be an honor for the kroot and it makes some sense that they could be bonded
iunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 13:31   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by iunno
RITUAL OF THE TA'LISSERA
Many Tau groupings are 'bonded', according to a solemn ceremony known as the Ta'lissera. The best translation which can derive form this word is communion or marriage. it apears to be some kind of sworn bond where groups of Tau pledge support and community to one another. The Tau who have sworn these pledges may adress each other by their individual names and are much admired.

This bond is seen as the ultimate Tau expression of respect for one another as it symbolises the sacrifice of individual pride to become part of a greater whole. The Ta'lissera is most commanly found within the ranks of the fire caste and the earth caste work teams, who regard themselves as ennobled by their bond of communal purpose.

that is the article of fluff in the codex, it doesnt say that bonding is limited to just fire warriors or the fire caste. in my opinion kroot should be able to be bonded as it would be like the kroot embracing Tau culture and the greater good, it is abit of a loop hole but if a shas'o or an ethereal is using a kroot for a body guard unit it should be an honor for the kroot and it makes some sense that they could be bonded
Thank you Iunno. I can see that other castes do the ritual itself, I read this as well. This article of fluff in no way discusses that a Bonding Knife, a weapon, is given to the leader. The bonding knife rule explicitly states, once more, "Fire Caste Warrior Team" in its rule. For all we know, the Earth caste gives a wench to the leader of a bonded team. Maybe the Air caste gives a golden joystick, I do not know. I wouldn't see them giving a weapon.

One more point on this one. If this bonding knife can be given to anyone, why it is not part of a Shaper's wargear? Why is the Strain Leader left out for the Vespid? You could safely assume, that if the bonding knife was applied to everyone, like we are doing by saying that it can be applied to Kroot, why is the leaders of such units left out? You would think that if the unit could be bonded, that the leader of such units would be the one going through the ritual with the unit, especially considering the canon fluff for the Kroot where the Shapers literally control the evolution of the Kroot.

To say the Tau would rally the Kroot the same as other Tau is interesting.

Commander: FOR THE GREATER GOOD!
Kroot: Huh?
Commander: FOR RED MEAT!
Kroot: CRUSH, KNASH, BREAK!

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 17:46   #13 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzin927

One more point on this one. If this bonding knife can be given to anyone, why it is not part of a Shaper's wargear? Why is the Strain Leader left out for the Vespid? You could safely assume, that if the bonding knife was applied to everyone, like we are doing by saying that it can be applied to Kroot, why is the leaders of such units left out? You would think that if the unit could be bonded, that the leader of such units would be the one going through the ritual with the unit, especially considering the canon fluff for the Kroot where the Shapers literally control the evolution of the Kroot.

To say the Tau would rally the Kroot the same as other Tau is interesting.
To be fair I can see your point, which is why I questioned this in the first place. But it seems to me to be a case of Fluff V Raw.

The Bonding knife is available to anyone with access to the wargear lists - Kroot shapers and Vespid Sting wings cannot take these items because they have set options, and no access to the wargear. This is fairly irrelevant though because the question is wether a model with access to the bonding knife joining the unit gives it bonding. I am now more than inclined to believe it does - MechTau makes a good point with the old codex rules on bonding you could not do this - you bonded the unit, now according to the rules you bond the individual and he confers this to the unit he is with.

Which if you think about it makes sense - the only Models this is going to apply to are HQ units, surely if your general joins a unit the troops morale etc will rise - they are fighting with their leader, the commander they trust to guide the entire battle. These units may have fought with this commander on countless battlefields and have a strong bond of loyalty and trust will have been formed between the commander and his troops - fluffwise it makes sense to me that if such a commander joins a unit they would rally against impossible odds (if they will do so for a upgrade character surely they would do so for there commander). I think that's why they changed the clarification of the Bonding Knife rules - just so that Commanders do have this logical ability.

Krootwise the same is possible, maybe the commander in question saved his corpse eating chums from dieing a horrible death and as a result the Kroot now feel fanatically loyal to him.

I would have to go with the RAW I think, Fluff can be changed but the RAW is the law And the Raw does not give any reason to say it would not work (like the Marker Light rules do).

Thanks Guys
Old 15 Oct 2008, 18:03   #14 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Go for it Gone. Like I said, there is evidence that says that a leader can jump into a unit and rally them.

However, I am not defending it with Fluff, as I am adhering exactly to how they wrote the rule for the bonding knife. Looks like they didn't rewrite the the description of the bonding knife from edition to edition, so though it is wargear, it still uses terms to describe who can use it and who it applies to. Terms like "Bonded Team" and "Fire Caste Warrior Teams." We then have to use fluff to find out what is considered Fire Caste, or to what is considered a "Bonded Team."

What I really think is that here is another of places that GW didn't exactly make it as clear as they could, so there is room for interpretation. As Tau we want it to go one way, since I love my Kroot sometimes more then my Fire Warriors. I would love for the rule to work this way. I've had plenty of times my Marine chewing Space Chickens ran like hell.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2008, 19:13   #15 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

In the rules for the bondage knife it states "the team may regroup... etc".

Kroot and Vespid are not teams; their unit entries are "Kroot Carnivore Squad" and "Vespid Stingwings"

Firewarriors, Battle suits, Stealth suits and pathfinders are all teams - their unit entries specifically say "Fire Warrior Team", "Battle Suit Team", etc.

Teams can have bonding knives. Units that are not defined as teams cannot.
pentheus is offline   Reply With Quote