Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders with Rail Rifles
Old 10 Oct 2008, 02:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Pathfinders with Rail Rifles

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried using pathfinders with rail rifles on marines. I've heard that no one uses them because markerlights are so valuable, but it seems like the three rail rifles would be able to cut them down so that they could be finished off at close range by the other five carbines. Plus you could still use the rest of the team for markerlights.
Tauvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 02:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Pathfinders with Rail Rifles

I use them quite often. That AP3 is wonderful, although an experienced player will rarely give you unbroken line of sight to a good target. If it's a target you really want to take down, mark it with your other pathfinder squad first to reduce their cover save. I would try for at least 3 markerlight hits: 1 to increase the ballistic skill (it's all for nothing if they miss!) and 2 or 3 for cover saves. It's a dangerously high percentage of your total points devoted to one unit, but if you can practically guarantee the death of 2 or 3 marines (and force pinning checks) it could be worth it. If you want the unit even more dead, fire the rest of the rail-rifler's squad at the same unit and kill some more with a sniper drone team or seeker missiles.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 04:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like them, and now that you can use their fish for other squads I think they are much more viable.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 05:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

it would be good if the markerlights where networked
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 05:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Usually they work very nicely for me, but I just played a 4 turn game without them getting a single hit. Such is life.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 05:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

The big thing here is that the Rail Rifles are target locked. EACH. For people who want to inflict lots of pinning tests, these are a much better option than sniper drones, especially if you want two squads of RR Pathfinders. Use the Devilfishes for your Fire Warriors, you'll be able to cause a pinning test to 3 squads consistently.

Very useful in a list you were planning on making markerlight heavy already - each squad will have 5 markerlights AND very useful weapons. Sticking them in cover might be more important than ever, as they will draw fire. Give them the best - 3+ if you have it on the board. They'll do well.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 06:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
The big thing here is that the Rail Rifles are target locked. EACH. For people who want to inflict lots of pinning tests, these are a much better option than sniper drones, especially if you want two squads of RR Pathfinders. Use the Devilfishes for your Fire Warriors, you'll be able to cause a pinning test to 3 squads consistently.
Sniper Drones also have Target Locks.
They do what RR pathfinders do for much lower cost, but take up a heavy slot.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 06:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I'm well aware of how Sniper Dones work. I got excited because multiple teams of Pathfinders could pin tons of units. I'm making this post to clarify myself.

They don't have to be expensive

That Devilfish isn't just a point sink. You can use it for your troops instead of buying them a Devilfish.

Also, 5 markerlights are super useful. We're talking 126 points for something that throws out 22-point rail rifles and 12 point markerlights. en mass

That can be quite efficient if you need it.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 13:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I originally (before entering the online world and finding that ML could be more useful) took pathfinders only for their rail rifles. Then again my game plan when I first got the army was to do 'crazy' things (one such thing was cracking a dreadnought in the face with said rail rifle to destroy it (4thEd)). I still use them now, as there seem to be no end end to tough things with 3+ saves that need to be killed. I have never pinned anything (ever) but it does make that weakened marine squad want to hug the walls a bit more.

Are they worth the points? Probably not, but I am going to keep using them anyways. Heavy weapons as fast attack has become somewhat fun. They have become sort of a known squad locally, and I would feel wrong going into battle without my 'sniper division'. (Albeit they are by not by any means sharpshooters, and hardly the size of a division)
Old 10 Oct 2008, 14:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Onw way I like to use them is a mini kill team (Especially for CoD)

A small teal of a regular pathfinder and 3 rail rifle, posted in terrain/on top of building raining death on their opponents (keep in mind that the rail rifle also have a target lock so you can target multiple opponents)...they are not mobile but that,s not so bad if you use terrain adequately.

And the fish...well it helps with deepstriking unit or, in 5th, transporting other troops.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote