Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Deep strike army, can it work?
Closed Thread
Old 13 May 2005, 11:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau Deep strike army, can it work?

I have been thinking a little about gun drones.
About having 3 squads of 8 and deepstrike them all.
Then i though of crisis suits, lots of deepstriking suits ;D

Well the army would be composed of firstly the deepstriking armada:
3x8 squads of gundrones
2 fireknife
2 helios el's (w/ tl furion)
6 stealths (infiltrating and securing a possition together w/ Kroot)
10x2 or 20(or more) kroot (infiltrating and holding possitions)
1-2 firewarrior FoF squads w/ devlfiishes
2-3 hammerheads

When the game starts, the only thing your opponent can see is 3-5 skimmer hulls (preferably in cover)
and some infiltrators. then in the following turns you can d strike squads everywere you need support

what do you think, ideas?
Old 13 May 2005, 12:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tau Deep strike army, can it work?

it could work, just it would probably be more efficient if there were more battlesuits and less gun drones, as the drones won't last long at all.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 13 May 2005, 13:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I find it rather risky, especially for taking objectives.

you`re at the mercy of your scatter dice, and on turn 1 and 2, your opponent can guide all of his firepower on your non-deepstrikers. After that you`ll need a hell of a lot of luck to gain back the advantage. Deepstrike is handy, but I`d reserve it for a drone squad or two, and fusion-blaster & flamer crisis, not as a full army tactic. 8)

It could work, but I think the odds are against you...

Knowing how to use power is genius

Call me your highness
Old 13 May 2005, 14:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Deepstriking Drones can be useful, but they should not be relied upon.

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 13 May 2005, 14:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Purely Deep Striking Tau armies and Infiltrating Tau armies are attractive, because we can show up just like those Space Marine or Imperial Guard boys, with hot plasma ready and other nasty surprises.

Unfortunately, we're not durable enough to do this and live very long with the entire army doing it.

The problem is having too many units not coming in together, so you're units are all spread out. Plus, they're going to land in a position where they are stuck and completely open to fire and assault. That's basically taking what Tau does best and removing all of our tricks and just standing up in the front, open field, with a target on our forehead. Some units are great for deepstriking when they have a reason for it (such as Gun Drones deepstriking on a vehicle to bust the back armor; Crisis deepstriking behind armor to burst a few tanks). It's a good way to show up and do something mean, but if we do it with all of our units, we'll find we lose most of them sporadically as the enemy can freely just destroy anything that falls.

If you can deepstrike and remove the entire unit that you fall near - then it's possible. Otherwise, I'm afraid it's just a fun way to lose a game.
Old 13 May 2005, 15:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Deep striking HQs tend to be a big waste of points - you typically can't take an advantage of the IC rules and so you fire off a couple shots and then get nuked by a missile launcher. A crisis suit is a better choice. However, tau in general are too fragile and very susceptible to CC which makes them poor deep strike armies - drones work ok in certain situations but with crisis suits they simply can't put out enough fire power to wipe out stuff and you tend to take a beating on the following turn thereby making them pretty much one shot wonders (and expensive ones at that).

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 13 May 2005, 15:22   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I see *;D
I will probably try this some time to see how it works, but i do agree with you.
If you had a lot of stealths and kroot securing the ground and making it safe (somewhat) to land i might be good :P
I will report of my success (or complete failure)
Old 13 May 2005, 15:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The only thing is the reliability of deep strike... you're either going to appear on mass (a good thing) or piecemeal (a bad thing!). If there was a way to make sure everything came down at once I think the list could work but deep strike is too unreliable. And then you've got to allow for scatter... 3 teams of suits arrive and scatter to the same point.... that would be expensive!)

Old 13 May 2005, 21:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

What Mal stated is the biggest reason NOT to use a deepstriking army; you are giving up all of the Tau advantages and getting nothing in return. Also, gun drones are bad units...nothing to be said there. Whatever they can do, something else can do better.
Old 14 May 2005, 05:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Drones work well for shooting up the rear of armor and being a general nuisance. Against AV10 8 drones will hit with about 4.4 shots and out of those shots you should score 1.5 damaging hits with half those being penetrating hits. Against most vehicles just about any glancing hit is a good result since it stops the tank from firing. Penetrating hits are all good. So for a small investment you get a surprisingly good tank busting unit, if it gets a rear shot it. Along similar lines, deepstriking drones can work well for taking out IDF pie-plate lobbers. However, both cases involve a certain element of risk...

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Closed Thread