Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to fight "Da' 1000 Orks army"
Old 09 Oct 2008, 07:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How to fight "Da' 1000 Orks army"

Lately I hade a game against an opponent who play's orks.
It was a 1500 pts game and he hade a list with about a 100 orks in it.
He also got a few tanks and a Boss to give the whole army the "Wagggh".
The mission was "capture and control".

The minute he deployed I knew I was in trouble because there's no way I can take down 100 T4 models in the 3 turns I have till he reaches my lines and when he used the "Wagggh" (first time I seen this rule in action) I knew the game was over.
By his second turn he already swarmed my lines and from there it was just a clean up operation for him.

What to do against such an army ?
Hawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 08:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How to fight "Da' 1000 Orks army"

Maneuverability.
One of the Tau's main advantages is the ability to quickly redeploy its forces via the Devilfish and being in Battlesuits.
I'd advise to invest in a Hammerhead, or better two of them, as being a skimmer makes it rather difficult to knock out of the sky in melee, and its high armour makes it resistant to the Orks inaccurate Rocket Launchers.
Its survivability and mobiility combined with its absolutely devestating Railgun Submunition will make short work of a horde.
It fires a large blast with no little scatter, and will kill roughly 5 of every 6 Orks under the template. The secondary weapons will kill an Ork every 2 shots on average.
Another thing you can use to combat an Ork horde is the Crisis suit. Kitted out with a Missile Pod, Burst Cannon and multi tracker (better known as the Firestorm) is a rather cost effective ork hunter. Throw an Airbursting Fragmentation projector, killing half of the Orks under the template and you'll be cutting them down. Unfortuneately, due to the Orks high toughness, the Cyclic Ion Blaster has the same effeciency as the cheaper burst cannon, unless on a HQ battlesuit.
Stealth suits can also go a long way to thinning the horde.
Firewarriors work well, but mount the teams in Devilfish, for mobility and fire support.
You may want to consider the Skyray as a third heavy support choice.
Its self firing capable seeker missiles will demolish trucks and buggys, and can instant kill nob squads provided they're not in mega armour, or wound the warboss. Once its ammunition or viable targets are expended, the Skyray provides a very useful role to a mechanized Tau army.
BS4 mobile markerlights under heavy armour can tip the battle into your favour, by making your forces deadly accurate. The Crisis suit is probably the best canididate for increased Ballistic Skill. Against a swarming, charging army, the other uses are not likely to be effective.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 08:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I assume the few tanks would be battlewaggons? Kill these first to make sure everything is walking. Broadsides or Hammerheads needed here to get through the AV14 but hammerheads would be better for the submunition round.

100 T4 models might look scary but they only have a 6+ armour save and Tau have strength 5 weapons. Concentrate your fire on one mob at a time and go for the weakest first. Make a quick count of the models in and out of cover and shoot the ones that will not get a cover save if possible.

Using mathhammer 18 stealth suits with target arrays should kill 72 boyz in 3 turns, assuming no cover save.

Submunition and flamers are your friends, although flamers can be risky because you don't want them to be that close.

Once a mob is under 12 models (I think its 12) they are not fearless anymore so switch to pinning weapons. An ork's leadership is as as bad as Tau's so you have a good chance of pinning them.

Edit: Korill, the large blast on the hammerhead does scatter now in 5th Ed.

cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 08:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I thought it was only 4th ed that that the hammer didn't scatter? If it still doesn't could you please point me to the rules pertaining to this?
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 08:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Doesn't scatter very far. Forgot new rules, haven't had much experience with them yet.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 09:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah not very far, between 0 and 8" and when you have 100 green targets to choose from you'll be hitting something.
cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2008, 09:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Not scattering all that far, and not scattering are far from the same thing. an unlucky roll can land that marker as much as 8" away from its intended target.

Glad we got that cleared up.

Now that said, to answer the question at hand. Great fungus killers of the tau are:
Rail Heads
flamers
Kroot (super cheap models with solid range)
and anything that pins.
a stealth team loaded up with gun drones will more than pay for themselves. You'll usually be able to drop a mob to the point that the pinning tests from the drones will near certainly stop them in their tracks. Remember, you take 1 ld test per weapon that inflicts a wound now. a partial team of 6 suits and 12 drones is going to get you at least 2 or 3 pinning tests on whatever is left of what they shoot at. This is a good squad for an all comers list too.

Amputation: when the fungus takes over your arm, cut it off. In other words, when you are GOING to lose a fire warrior team next round, move them up. get them right in the orc's face so after they are done with their snack, they can't just move in and assault your next unit.

Lastly: although it seems counter to what most tau like to do, take out the shootaz after you are done with their transports. Footsloging sluggaz are going to be out manuvered by you.

Old 09 Oct 2008, 11:49   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
with its absolutely devestating Railgun Submunition will make short work of a horde.
It fires a large blast
Large blast? I'm an Ork player so I don't have a Tau codex, but if I recall (its not in front of me right now) the 5th ed stats on this weapon say its simply a blast in the back of the book.

Quote:
Remember, you take 1 ld test per weapon that inflicts a wound now
Once again, rules not in front of me, but by my recolection its a leadership test if the unit suffers an unsaved wound. Very open to any clarification that can be given.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being an Orkie I maybe can offer some things that I fear when going up against a Tau player.

Air burst. I once had 20 boys trying to hunker behind a rock near an objective I was simply waiting to take in the last turn, out of LOS of Mr. Tau's (actually your own Mr. Brown's) killy firewarriors but on the opposite side of Mr. Rock was Mr. Commander lobbing salvos of pie platey pain. As I recall its not terribly high strength or AP, but with Orks it really doesn't have to be. You'll be hitting so many under that thing that don't get to save, you're definitely putting a dent in their mob.

Firewarriors. Yeah, just your run of the mill shooty troops. Especially if you set yourself up properly, and position each squad to support one another, you can channel those huge cumbersome mobs into a world of hurt. Once again... I only have a 6 save, so its all about volume of fire, and rapid fire does a fair deal. I'd say beware of footslogging shoot n' scoot tactics, though, as I personally run Shoota boys. With 18" assault 2 weapons (Okay, yeah, I have BS2) I can outrange you on the move and still pick away at your considerably smaller squad with pure dakka. What Emmagine said about sacrifice I can get behind, I'd just like to think its Kroot you throw in the mess (I figure that's their purpose in life) and can really surprise you in CC.

Flamers, because not even cover can save me.

I've never actually played against anyone using pinning weapons (besides barrage), but by their idea alone I can certainly see how troublesome they can quickly get.

Due to limited experience, that's about all I've got to say, but what people have said about maneuverability is sage advice. Do what the Tau do best and force their enemy to fight on the Tau's terms.

Old 09 Oct 2008, 11:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novin
Quote:
with its absolutely devestating Railgun Submunition will make short work of a horde.
It fires a large blast
Large blast? I'm an Ork player so I don't have a Tau codex, but if I recall (its not in front of me right now) the 5th ed stats on this weapon say its simply a blast in the back of the book.
yep large blast for subs.
Quote:

Quote:
Remember, you take 1 ld test per weapon that inflicts a wound now
Once again, rules not in front of me, but by my recolection its a leadership test if the unit suffers an unsaved wound. Very open to any clarification that can be given.
leadership test if the unit suffers an unsaved wound from a pinning weapon
so each pinning weapon that delivers an unsaved wound, causes a pinning test.
Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being an Orkie I maybe can offer some things that I fear when going up against a Tau player.

Air burst. I once had 20 boys trying to hunker behind a rock near an objective I was simply waiting to take in the last turn, out of LOS of Mr. Tau's (actually your own Mr. Brown's) killy firewarriors but on the opposite side of Mr. Rock was Mr. Commander lobbing salvos of pie platey pain. As I recall its not terribly high strength or AP, but with Orks it really doesn't have to be. You'll be hitting so many under that thing that don't get to save, you're definitely putting a dent in their mob.

Firewarriors. Yeah, just your run of the mill shooty troops. Especially if you set yourself up properly, and position each squad to support one another, you can channel those huge cumbersome mobs into a world of hurt. Once again... I only have a 6 save, so its all about volume of fire, and rapid fire does a fair deal. I'd say beware of footslogging shoot n' scoot tactics, though, as I personally run Shoota boys. With 18" assault 2 weapons (Okay, yeah, I have BS2) I can outrange you on the move and still pick away at your considerably smaller squad with pure dakka.
yep, this is why I'm saying go for the shootaz first!
Quote:
What Emmagine said about sacrifice I can get behind, I'd just like to think its Kroot you throw in the mess (I figure that's their purpose in life) and can really surprise you in CC.

Flamers, because not even cover can save me.

I've never actually played against anyone using pinning weapons (besides barrage), but by their idea alone I can certainly see how troublesome they can quickly get.

Due to limited experience, that's about all I've got to say, but what people have said about maneuverability is sage advice. Do what the Tau do best and force their enemy to fight on the Tau's terms.
Old 09 Oct 2008, 12:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd go with a mobile list and throw Flechette Dischargers on every vehicle.

Spamming Burst Cannon piranhas might not even be a bad idea either.
You could field 2 Piranhas with Burst Cannon, Targetting Array, Flechette Discharger and Disruption Pod for 160 pts, take 3 of those squadrons and you got a nice start.

Furthermore... Devilfish transports with Fire Warriors in it, a Commander with Missile Pod and Airburster, Hammerheads with Railguns, Suits with Burst Cannon and Missile Pod in your elites (A stealth team sent to Outflank the horde would work too, 4-5 suits with targetting arrays are expensive, but they'll pump out 12-15 shots a turn at BS4. Any Ork mob is gonna feel that.

You could also try making his numbers work against him, by manouevring your piranhas in such a way as to force him to go through a bottleneck, a.k.a. Blast heaven.

Try it, it could be fun!