Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau versus Land Raider, working with limited resources.
Closed Thread
Old 13 May 2005, 07:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau versus Land Raider, working with limited resources.

I've got a small pool of opponents to choose from. Others in the area play WH40k, but we tend to stay as a close knit bunch, and find getting games together in our appartments much easier than hiking out to a venue. This is relevant because one of those friends was given a shiny new land-raider by his girlfriend!

That's awesome, but it also kinda makes we wonder about the balance of power in our little group.

A. I don't want to start an arms race, where we start inflating our collection simply to one-up eachother.
B. I want him to enjoy the new toy, without feeling guilty. No: "That's cheap, don't use it's" here.
C. I want to kill it with Firewarriors.

The thing is a monster. I have 14 firewarriors, 4 stealths, 4 gun drones, 1 shield drone, 1 crisis suit, and 1 Hammerhead to my name (Modable into a Devilfish, thanks for the tip, TO!).

That's a minimum of (If I field it all, and give gun drones to the Firewarriors):

160 + 4 + 40 + 120 + 50 + (~50 for FK) + (150 RailHead or +80 Fish) =

574 / 504 points

So, he could fit the land-raider in, a pair of bare-bones troops, and a commander, and lock-n-load, even in a tiny game.

I've been warned, and have seen warnings repeated on this board, that a Hammerhead going toe-to-toe with a land-raider isn't a good idea. Though his force selection might not be smart, he as a player is: he'll back up the tank, and I know he'll do everything he can to ward off a melta-gunned crisis suit. So, rather than being predictable and taking the Rail-head, maybe I'll be better off with a devil fish?

The way I see it, EMP grenades might be the way go to. Penetrating hit on a 6? The numbers would be on my side, with 14 of em being lobbed.

The problem, as I see it, is getting to that point. If he hides behind cover, maybe I could pin him there with the DF chasis itself, and try to trap him?

Also, there's a rule in the EMP grenades section that has me confused:
"They cannot be used against vehicles with WS that are not immobilised"

Does that mean EMP grens are only good for blowing up useless husks? Only closed/topped vehicles? I know that criterea probably eliminates attack bikes. Though I'm not sure what that entails.

Thanks for reading the lengthy post! Lets kill a land-raider with firewarriors! There has to be a way to make it work :P
Old 13 May 2005, 07:29   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Tau versus Land Raider, working with limited resources.

Put simply, if he brings a Land Raider in 500pts, smash it over his head.

The first rule of 40K is the most overlooked: both players must enjoy the game! If you bring units that your opponent cannot cope with, or create a blatantly abusive list, you violate this rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 13 May 2005, 08:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Look at it this way: that land raider's half his force in 500 points. Blast the rest of his army you can hit to kingdom come and ignore the damn thing! By the time it's close enought for EMP, there should be one thign on the board that's not yours...

In fact, if he doesn't even mount anything in it, you won't NEED to kill it.

But because of the small game... railgun him with the hammerhead as much as you can before he lascannons it. if it goes up, pick off his tiny and woefully outgunned army.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

On the upside, at 500 points, a LR, plus 2 minimum sized SM troops with nothing plus a naked captain just barely comes in under the point limit - he's basically going to have virtually no offensive capabilities aside from the LR and some bolters. So if you can just get one glancing hit per turn against the LR you can eliminate most of his ability to do any real damage. That said, a LR in a 500 point is indeed kind of brutal - the fact is that it simply is bad form (any AV14 vehicle) is in such a small game because it severely limits the tactics available.

If you've reached the point where you want to start including larger toys it's time to up your point limits - try 850 pts. At that point you can at least squeeze in a broadside if you want. However, in general a LR even at that point is a huge point sink. My general approach to deal with it would be a 6-man EMP squad that would remain hidden (take human auxs since they're a dirt cheap) and then to play VP denial - you simply keep terrain in between his LR and anything worth shooting at and make him come to you. Ideally your HH should just pick off his few other troops. A twin-linked fusion blaster on your 'el (since you really don't need him to deal with anything else given the lack of targets) would also be a good idea. Hell, you could even build a screen of drones and aux/kroot and march your 'el right at the LR to blast it with the FB. As long as you use terrain to your advantage it would be doable.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Frag it with your Hammerhead's railgun. Its the ultimate land raider killer.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 13 May 2005, 13:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think your opponent is the one in error. Land raiders can be very well dealt with by Tau.

Railguns of course, but I`d go for the EMP. Just create these small squads, aux and FW and rush at him. Keep a force of stealths and crisis to take care of the infantry, but focus on hitting the land raider. Its a not only tactical move, but also good for morale. He becomes hopeless(oh no! there go my 300pts raider!), and you`re left with about 300pts! Railgun is fallible, but the EMP`s have about 99% of hitting if you go for numbers. The reason you`ll be wanting small units is to avaid fatal blasts, tank shocks and assaults killin you.

(Also, there's a rule in the EMP grenades section that has me confused:
"They cannot be used against vehicles with WS that are not immobilised"

Does that mean EMP grens are only good for blowing up useless husks? Only closed/topped vehicles? I know that criterea probably eliminates attack bikes. Though I'm not sure what that entails.)

It means that you can always use it against vehicles WITHOUT* WS,
and only against vehicles WITH WS if they`re immobilised.

The land raider has no WS, unless he`s a living vehicle(chaos upgrade). So you can charge him to hearts content...

Example: you can`t use them against a dreadnought(that`s not immobilized), but you can use it against... say a rhino, or an ork wartrukk(which is open-topped)

I think you`ll slaughter him >

Knowing how to use power is genius

Call me your highness
Old 13 May 2005, 13:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

EMP grenades are more effective technically against Land Raiders than anything else because unlike most normal grenades they don't rely on armor; they do their job anyways. So against armies like Armored Company or Space Marines, they're a great choice.

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 13 May 2005, 16:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
Frag it with your Hammerhead's railgun. Its the ultimate land raider killer.
Its the Utimate... ANYTHING Killer!
Old 13 May 2005, 16:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

If the grenades don't work, follow the Eternal Master's Gem of Wisdom:
RAILGUN HIS *SS INTO OBLIVION!

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 13 May 2005, 16:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus the Red
If the grenades don't work, follow the Eternal Master's Gem of Wisdom:
RAILGUN HIS *SS INTO OBLIVION!
Thats so obvious, and yet..... such GREAT advice!
Closed Thread