Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlight Questions
Old 06 Oct 2008, 00:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Markerlight Questions

Ok, so I'm thinking about starting a new list to include a whole bunch of markerlights and wanted to know if:

1)How long do the markerlight counters stay on the unit that is hit? Does it stay on until the end of that shooting phase or until the counter is used for a benefit?

2)Can the unit that shoots the markerlight also shoot their primary weapons? For example, can a stealth team light a unit and then benefit from the hit with their busrt cannons?
Melon Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2008, 00:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Markerlight Questions

Let me get my book

1) p29. [...] The counter remains until the end of the current tau shooting phase or until they are used. [...]

So in other word "Whichever comes first."

2) Yes and no. They can shoot their primary weapon (and if the Leader have a multitracker he can shoot both the markerlight and the primary wepaon) HOWEVER they cannot benefit from their own markerlight...only other team can benefit from it.

The only way for the firing unit to be able to use it's own markerlight token is if it as a Networked markerlight found only on markerdrones, sniper spotter and Skyray.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2008, 01:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
The only way for the firing unit to be able to use it's own markerlight token is if it as a Networked markerlight found only on markerdrones, sniper spotter and Skyray.
And some units in Imperial Armour Update III: Taros Campaign. But only if you've got it and care to spend big $$$$ on Forge World stuff.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2008, 02:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Along the same lines, can a unit fire at a different target to its markerdrones, or do all have to fire at the same target?
Old 07 Oct 2008, 03:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereticus
Along the same lines, can a unit fire at a different target to its markerdrones, or do all have to fire at the same target?
all of one squad has to shoot at the same target unless they have specal wargear (cant recall name, i think its target lock) and u cant give it to the drone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2008, 04:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Originally Posted by steck_638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereticus
all of one squad has to shoot at the same target unless they have specal wargear (cant recall name, i think its target lock) and u cant give it to the drone...
Yes, target locks are what allow you to shoot different units. They're very handy.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2008, 20:08   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

With the advent of 5th Ed. Does anyone know if we are now able to improve our BS above 5? The book has a chart that goes all the way up to BS10...and I am pretty sure that the Tau, with markerlights, are the ONLY race that can get that high.
Old 07 Oct 2008, 20:27   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Unfortunately, no. Not yet. The codex actually limits both Markerlights and Target Arrays. So the Shas'O can not go to BS6, and Markerlights can only increase BS to 5. It is uncertain whether this was deliberate on GW's part, or if they were just trying to make the list less confusing. But until it is FAQed or updated, Tau can't take advantage of the new table.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2008, 20:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Not to bring up an old question, but what are people's thoughts about using markerlights in a Death or Glory?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2008, 21:04   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

It automatically hits, causes no damage, and the model who used it gets squished. The counter hangs around until the Tau player's turn, since counters are removed at the end of the Tau shooting phase. So you could use it to put a counter on an enemy vehicle, but there wouldn't be much point unless the firer was going to be destroyed by shooting or assault anyway. I don't think you could use a Markerlight to launch a Seeker during a Death or Glory attack, since that would really be two shots instead of the one you get.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote