Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

only a dream
Closed Thread
Old 12 May 2005, 22:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default only a dream

Ya'know what would be a real killer? a XV-88 with tw ion cannons and two plamsa rifles and a M-tracker... wow the only way i could see it going in would be to make its only usable by a shas'vre... only a dream :'(.
Old 12 May 2005, 22:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: only a dream

MCT:

If GW (or ForgeWorld for that matter) gave us the option to take Ion Cannons on the XV-88, I think you would see far more XV-88's on the board. This could potentially be a brilliant move on their part, to rake in the cash on conversion kits and new XV-88 models. However, game-wise, as much as I would want it, I think it might be a tad too powerful being able to field up to 9 of those beasts, with pathfinders guiding them (even if they weren't twin-linked).

If I could take XV-88's with normal Icon Cannons at their normal BS3 and maybe the Smart Missile System as normal, I'd totally take Broadsides. It would give me a real reason to buy them honestly.

Unfortunately, the marine players would complain way too much, therefore it will not be done (since they're the cashcow audience)
Old 13 May 2005, 01:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Twin linked ion cannons on broadsides? Yikes, that's way too strong. And this is coming from a hardcore anti-marine player. >
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 13 May 2005, 04:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would settle for just one Ion Cannon on a Broadside ;D.
Old 13 May 2005, 13:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would prefer TL TAU plasma cannons on bradside or just plain one plasma cannon. In this configuration it would be good against 2+ save units and it would have only one more shot than railgun so it wouldn't be that much more powerfull. And Ion cannon is probably to stong to bo TL on a Broadside.

But my dream is to be able to mount some heavier assault weapon on a broadside like long bareled burst cannon made for Forge world HH turets. In this configuration it will allow me to walk and shoot.
Old 13 May 2005, 13:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

Yeah. The Broadside immobility has bothered me for a while; and I'm so stubborn that by the time they gotta get out of they way of a Riner charge their doomed...

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 13 May 2005, 16:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

dam that would be cool just to look at

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 13 May 2005, 18:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
Twin linked ion cannons on broadsides? Yikes, that's way too strong. And this is coming from a hardcore anti-marine player.* >
Oh, COME ON! My Guard can take 4 Plasma Guns in a Command Squad and deep strike them for less than 100 points. My Space Marines can take Plasma Cannons in their Devastator Squads, and my Eldar can take Starcannons on just about everything I field.

If anything, Broadsides with Ion cannons would only bring Tau up to par with what other armies can already take, and I seriously doubt it would make them "too powerful."
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 13 May 2005, 18:12   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would like to see more options, just for the luxury of having options, but I imagine that they would suffer from the same problems as the current Broadside. Because Broadsides are only BS3, twin-linking the weapon would not be much more effective than its Hammerhead equivalent. I would have to playtest it a bit to know for sure. I have to think that GW did try it out when they were designing the Tau, though, and ended up deciding against it.
Old 13 May 2005, 18:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I would like to see more options, just for the luxury of having options, but I imagine that they would suffer from the same problems as the current Broadside. Because Broadsides are only BS3, twin-linking the weapon would not be much more effective than its Hammerhead equivalent. I would have to playtest it a bit to know for sure. I have to think that GW did try it out when they were designing the Tau, though, and ended up deciding against it.
75% versus 66% chance to hit. Just the fact you have the option to control probability is worth it, as I find a reroll is more valuable than a higher percentage, even on something like a 3 BS.

And 75% Targetting Ion Cannons on a suit cheaper than the existing one? Sign me up.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Closed Thread