Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What is the best crises suit configuration against SMurfs?
Closed Thread
Old 12 May 2005, 22:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default What is the best crises suit configuration against SMurfs?

I finally got the battleforce today! ;D

I was wondering what XV8 crises suit configuration is best against SMurfs? I need to know for this Saturday as I will playing against SMurfs.

P.S. This will be my first 40k game.

For the Greater Good!
Old 12 May 2005, 22:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: What is the best crises suit configuration against SMurfs?

Lolisloth:

That totally depends. You will no doubt hear "Plasma Rifles" and "FireKnife" and "Plasma/Fusion" from a lot of people. However, fighting the marines doesn't always mean that your suits are firing at infantry.

Your battle suits should be performing a specific function for you. For example, if you just want to take lots of Crisis suits and be aggressive, then plasma will be a very likely weapon to choose. However, what if you play on massive terrains with littler terrain and you find that your Crisis suits are gunned down too fast and so you don't take them as often as you favor another unit, such as Stealthsuits to fill your Elites with. In that case, you may find missile pods being a far more attractive option for breaking their armored units that are usually too weak to waste a railgun shot on (such as a Rhino, Razorback or Dreadnought for example).

There are non-popular builds which can be really good against marines, even compared to the normal ones that you'll find around Tau Online.

For example, the every friendly Fire Knife can basically kill 2 marines per turn (at medium range) (if you have a full squad of 3 suits) and they are versatile enough to destroy vehicles and infantry alike, however, luck would have you sometimes and you may find yourself hitting all the time or never hitting at all.

Then there's other builds, such as a missile pod and burst cannon build with operates using the highest amount of shots possible with good strength, which you can think of as "dakka." Three suits of that will on average kill close to 2 marines per turn as well (but has the potential to kill even more if luck is on your side). You're still very versatile to bust armor, but you're also not just limited to slaughtering marines (as this build works wonders on many other armies even more so than a fire knife for example).

Then there's the plasma/fusion setup that I mentioned, where you have just pure low AP shots coming out and you can potentially rip through hordes or power-armor, but the distance is very great and you may find yourself too close and if you fail to inflict enough damage, you wind up in assault and then your suits are ruined.

Another example, plasma rifles and burst cannons, making for a short range aggressive stance using many shots at close range but also mixing in some low AP for heavier infantry. Three of these suits together will on average kill 2 to 3 marines per turn at 12 inch range.

If you think about it, most of the builds you take will pretty much be killing a very similar number of marines. So keeping that in mind, the number of suits you take will influence that kind of potential but they all have different benefits and risk. For example, if you want suits that can hide and shoot from afar, other builds may be better suited to you. Where as, if you're aggressive and want your suits to deep strike or just spearhead into the enemy, more close range low AP weaponry might be desirable.

There's no absolute best way, because math may tell you one thing, but experience will tell you another. You should think about what weapons you like the most, which you would like to use the most and which will keep your suits alive longer.

Keeping all this in mind, don't glue your weapons on permanently right away. Use something else to temporarily stick them on perhaps and give this article on using magnets for weapon swapping on your crisis suits. Then you can try whatever build you prefer without permanently making your model one thing (and trust me, your tastes in armament will change over time probably several times!).
Old 12 May 2005, 22:53   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks MalVeauX for your input! ;D
Old 12 May 2005, 23:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Excellent Post from Mal

My Personal take, I did glue the weapons on two suits, I always take at least two suits both of them Fireknife! Where I game, these are the best all comers. I will be using magnets soon on my 3rd and 4th suit.

SMurf killers are the Fireknife. All the players I play fear it, Necron, Marine, Chaos, and Eldar.
Orc guy does not really care unless it fired at one of his Killer Cans.

I personally don't like Burst cannon, marines can shrug these hits off. Fusion too hard to use, have to get in close!

I do love the MP for Rhino transport killing and the Plasma for the marine killing.

Again just for me and my style of play, Patient Hunter (let the enemy come to me) , I am going for TLMP and PR on my shas'EL, which should give me 4 hits within 12 ", but with TLMP, it will give me almost guarante me 2 hits at 36", which is what I want between me and a space marine.*

For the Greater Good,

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 12 May 2005, 23:56   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry to go off subject but what is a smurf ? (i suppose it is not a little blue man ;D)
Old 13 May 2005, 00:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

SMurf

Space Marine urf

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 13 May 2005, 04:27   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i prefer fireknife, but twin plasma is good 2. u have to get relly lucky 2 do anything with a burst cannon.
"Ahh, I see. Have you tried running?"
"I still can't believe you paralyzed me!"
"Why don't you try... walking on you hands! then you could use your feet for high fives, and eat'n sandwiches. You know, the important stuff."
Old 13 May 2005, 04:41   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunshi13
i prefer fireknife, but twin plasma is good 2.* u have to get relly lucky 2 do anything with a burst cannon.
That why you just don't use one Bustcannon. You use 3.

I have 3 Crisis suits with the Burstcannon/Missilepod config, and it does a bit of damage. You can knock out light/medium tanks, and you can shoot out enough shots to force a fair few armour saves, which, your opponent is bound to fail a few.
Old 13 May 2005, 04:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I prefer the TL-PRs against SMs, with a flamer to fill up the extra hard point. The only role for my crisis suits is killing infintry so I want to be sure there at least hitting thier targets. And you never know when a flamer will come in handy :.
Old 13 May 2005, 13:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I should point out here that fireknife is actually a jack of all trades loadout. It is not the best marine killing loadout, but is a general loadout designed to be able to take on a number of things.

Like has been said, it all depends on how you plan on using your suits, and what specific role they fill.

That being said, here are some suit configurations you might want to try out if the task of your suits is simply killing the marines on foot:

Twin-Linked Plasma Rifle and Drone controller with two gun drones.

Plasma Rifle, Fusion Gun, and Multitracker.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Closed Thread