Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drone Hopping: a 5th Edition tactic.
Old 01 Oct 2008, 19:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Drone Hopping: a 5th Edition tactic.

Well guys, I was recently reviewing on of my Tau army lists and wondering whether to include drone squadrons when I hit on this little idea. Since units give cover saves now, one possible application of our jet packs is to hop squadrons over a Fire Warrior team in the movement phase, let the FWs shoot their rifles, and jump back over them in the assault phase to provide a screen on the opponent's turn. See my example below: the Fs are FWs, and the Os are drones

Move Phase start: OOOOOO
FFFFFF

Move Phase end: FFFFFF
OOOOOO

The FWs shoot, then the drones use their jetpack move to return to screening position.

Assault Phase Start: FFFFFF
OOOOOO

Assault Phase End: OOOOOO
FFFFFF

This provides your FWs with a degree of protection from hostile shooting and assault without hurting their firepower in your turn.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 19:47   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Drone Hopping: a 5th Edition tactic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'ui Vior'la R'khenn Gue'la'sha'ik (viorlashasui)
Well guys, I was recently reviewing on of my Tau army lists and wondering whether to include drone squadrons when I hit on this little idea. Since units give cover saves now, one possible application of our jet packs is to hop squadrons over a Fire Warrior team in the movement phase, let the FWs shoot their rifles, and jump back over them in the assault phase to provide a screen on the opponent's turn. See my example below: the Fs are FWs, and the Os are drones

Move Phase start: OOOOOO
FFFFFF

Move Phase end: FFFFFF
OOOOOO

The FWs shoot, then the drones use their jetpack move to return to screening position.

Assault Phase Start: FFFFFF
OOOOOO

Assault Phase End: OOOOOO
FFFFFF

This provides your FWs with a degree of protection from hostile shooting and assault without hurting their firepower in your turn.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
Drones are more expensive than fire warriors, so it makes little sense to buy dedicated drones for it. On the other hand, I use it to 'complete' my fish of fury all the time. Drones disembark out of the way during the movement phase, and assault-jump (and run, if needed) to block all assault on my fire warriors.

Similarly, drones from piranha's can do much the same.

Another option is to use Gue'vesa, and run them ahead of the FW's. This is much better for assault-protection than fire-protection, due to the armor difference, but a cheap squad of 6 Gue'vesa can shield nearly 13 inches of fire warriors.

With all of these, keep in mind you you want to keep a little less than an inch between each model, so they cannot assault both the screening models and your protected squad.
sfogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 20:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

screening the lines, good catch!
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 21:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfogarty
Drones are more expensive than fire warriors, so it makes little sense to buy dedicated drones for it.
True per model, but a squadron is far cheaper than a team is, and this has the extra benefit of allowing a last-second pinning barrage followed by a rapid fire barrage from the FWs. More importantly, FWs are scoring, while drones aren't, so it would make some sense to use for defending objectives.

The Piranhas idea is good, though I don't use them much personally. You could also use stealth teams to the same effect, but again, cost is an issue
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 22:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I came up with something similar in a 5th edition tactica a while back, except I had the drone squads acting like a curtain that you would draw over the field and grant your units a cover save. In the shooting phase you could scoot them out of the way so they don't grant a cover save to your enemies. It would be more useful for screening expensive suits than cheaper fire warriors, but a small squad will still soak up the assault, as mentioned above.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 22:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

I also came up with this but as protection for an Ethereal and Broadsides... Basicly what i came up with was as follows: Ethereal with 2 Shield Drones, 2-3 Broadsides T.Array on all T.Leader with 2 Shield Drones, and 5 Gun Drones as a seperate unit... basicly this is frakking expensive BUT!! you get the benifits of the Ethereal and it takes an UNGODLY amount of fire power to take it out. 4 4+ Inv saves 4-5 2+ saves plus everything has 4+ cover saves... plus if you lose a Shield Drone the Broadsides won't run cos of Fearless. I had this little idea when makin my list for my first 5th Ed game (along with marker drone with Marker Stealths) and it served me well only lost the Ethereal once... Was charged by Choas Termies With Mark Of Khorne I believe... That was ungodly painful experince... but i succesfully rolled all my Leadership Tests thank god
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote