Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau HQ?
Old 30 Sep 2008, 21:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau HQ?

I never see people using Tau Ethereal for HQ is he that terrible? I know people have to use Tau Crisis Battlesuit Commander as HQ.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tao HQ?

Ethereals in comparison to a crisis suit is one sided. What sucks is, that the suit is required, and an ethereal is added wieght.

But the ethereal has some perks, a bs 4 bodyguard option, reroll morale, unit attached to is fearless. In a good gameplan, he might be better when defending an objective.

but for offensive armies, he doesnt do much, other then watch and wait, and because he is a prime cantidate for assassination most people leave Aun`el at home.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 21:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

yes sadly they are

here are some reasons

if he dies your entire army will have to take and LD test and with tau leadership that's not so good

connecting with the point above he's very easy to kill T of a fire warrior and no armor is not good

now the benefits he gives you have to be in LOS for it which usually also means the enemy will see him too

there are some benefits he gives but he's just way to fragile to use except may be in apoc in a unit of broads with 4 shield drones

and with units like scout sargeant tellion or vindicare assasins you really dont want to use them
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 22:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's a lot of minus points for very few benefits, you get the re roll on morale tests and the unit he is with is fearless. - Great.

However if he dies your army stands a chance of running off the board (especially if you play a static line near the back of the table). Tau leadership is not really high enough to take multiple morale tests on all your units....something is going to run.

His stat line is diabolical, - low toughness, only 2 wounds and NO save (although the new cover saves do help him slightly with that now). The problem is that your enemy is going to expend a lot of resources to kill him, because of the huge negative impact it can have on the rest of your force. Kill the Ethereal and you have a chance of killing the army (or at the very least leaving holes in the gunline).

No target priority now in 5th and the fact that you can pick out independent characters unattached to units for shooting purposes makes him an even easier target for annihilation.

The worse part of 5th for the already fairly useless Ethereal are the new Close Combat rules....When a unit gets charged your IC has to countercharge and get into base to base with the enemy first. Not good, in 4th you at least got to hide him in the unit and hold up the enemy as he made the unit fearless. Now he has to fight and the Enemy will direct as many attacks at him as possible. Hmmmm no save and low toughness/Imitative - You don't have to have physchic powers to predict that result.

Also as Bloodfire says - there are plenty of things things that an target and kill it even if its in a unit. - possibly in the first turn of the battle!

His wargear options are also fairly limited - a normal team leader can pretty much equip themselves with the same gear at a fraction of the cost. The ultimate icing on the cake for me however ...... He doesent even get to have a Gun.....Marvelous.

If you really wanted to take one in 5th the only safe option....well least dangerous option anyway (in my opinion) is to take him with the Honour Guard. The BS 4 is useful, and he cant be singled out in Close Combat because by taking the retinue he becomes an UGRADE character until the unit is destroyed. It gives him slightly more survivability......

But at the end of the day the reason you don't see many Ethereal on the field of battle is because they are fairly terrible. - Hopefully they will change them when a new Tau Codex is released, because fluff wise they are important but in a battlefield role you could pretty much replace them with a pygmy carrying a sharp piece of mango fruit and not notice the difference.
Old 01 Oct 2008, 00:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

Altho in Apocalypse something you can do is have several Ethereals... think about it.... have 3+ Ethereals postitioned around so that as many unit can always see at least 2 of them.... Re roll the failed test that your forced to take from losing one... plus 3+ Honour Guard squads or Fearless Broadsides =P
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 01:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau HQ?

wonder how an all ethereal army would sound >

you know an ethereal data sheet for air caste bombardment would be very dow`ish.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 02:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i got an etheral used him once and never used him again... wast of points. Hopefully a new codex will change some rules.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 05:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've used my ethereal once in a game where he lead my kroot... that went well untill the three units i had engaged died, and my kroot were shot to... well where ever ethereals go once they die.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 05:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate13
I've used my ethereal once in a game where he lead my kroot... that went well untill the three units i had engaged died, and my kroot were shot to... well where ever ethereals go once they die.
I really dont think that's actually legal. Not that ethereals cant join a unit of kroot. The problem is that Ethereals wont give any of their bonuses that they grant to anyoen but Tau. So if they join a unit of kroot, they dont become fearless.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2008, 12:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate13
One of my opponents in 'Ard Boyz did that, but it wasn't very effective. The kroot were leadership 10 but not fearless, and they charged right down the center of the table toward my largest assault squad (which was also kroot).

The ethereal is hard to use, so I usually don't. If you're not facing one of the Inquisition's assassins you can protect one with a bodyguard squad (who are very efficient at doing damage) or attach him to a squad of broadsides, but anywhere you put him he's going to take a lot of fire. One thing I haven't had a chance to try yet is to use Shadowsun as the other HQ choice. That way if the ethereal dies your army gets preferred enemy as usual, but they roll their morale at leadership 10.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote