Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Vs Eldar Strategies
Closed Thread
Old 12 May 2005, 05:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau Vs Eldar Strategies

I can't figure it out. It simply boils down to a cat and mouse game. My Eldar friend right now is playing vehicle heavy Eldar. Vyper jetbikes and falcon grav tank. It seems the winner is decided by the first or 2nd turn. Whoever takes out the heavy support first wins it seems. It is worse since he likes to use CTMs. Any ideas how to stick it to his pansy tactics?
Old 12 May 2005, 06:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Tau Vs Eldar Strategies

Well, I don't speak from much experience, but I'll try my best, until more experienced members drop by:

I've found that when dealing with people who have tunnel vision against a target, sometimes making a calculated sacrifice, can be worth it. Either that, or de-centralizing the way you distribute your forces. I'm fairly new, and for a very long time, I didn't have any transports in my army. Because of that, a friend of mine took great joy in deep-striking, attack biking, and assult-trooping the hell out of me. Whatever he threw the hammer down on, died. The times I won, were usually when I accepted/expected the loss, and got the hell out of Dodge and into better positions to take advantage of the fact he usually couldn't deal with my annoying harassment tactics.

What I'm saying kinda comes down to this: would a higher model count help you? Or extra wounds to take the inevitible enfilade if he goes first? Maybe sacrificing first turn shots in favor of claiming better ground? (I.E. not leaving broadsides in an open corridor of fire turn one, stepping out and shooting at a later time, or perhaps using a little guesswork to put them in a position not immediately useful, but to cover your butt later?)

It might sound crazy, comming from a Tau player (but I'm all about crazy), have you ever tried tying his forces up with drone squads, or infiltrated kroot, to give him a big migrane? DevilFish a squad of firewarriors with EMP grenades and show them what-for! I've never tried it, personally, and sounds downright suicidal. But hey, if your opponent is predictable, sometimes the most "efficient" or logical course, isn't how to one-up them.

I know what it's like, to deal with a limited pool of opponents who do the same thing over and over. I plan on asking a question very much like yours, in the near future! Good-luck.
Old 12 May 2005, 11:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Crossfc:

Can you give us a little more information on the vehicles that he's taking? Which weapons are exactly giving you the trouble (ie: are you losing suits or things to starcannons or brightlances?). Which weapons are prevalent in this army you're facing? Etc. The more you can tell us the more we can give back

I can tell you now that generally the heavy support on your end will be less useful against a mechanized Eldar force. This is where Death Rain shines and Gun Drones bring the heat.... which I will go into more detail after we learn more from you This of course, will also depend on what models you have available.
Old 12 May 2005, 19:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Vyper Jetbikes and Falcon Grav Tank. He uses both bright lances and star cannons but mostly starcannons. I'm not having any trouble really. I usually get the first licks in and take him out. :P Right now all I do is hide my vehicle busting troops from his LOS and wait for him to expose himself and take him ou.
Old 12 May 2005, 22:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

CrossFc:

Well in that case you probably are already totally fine Just a final note about them then:

Twin-linked Missile Pods en masse can really do serious damage to Eldar (vehicles and infantry)
Deep Striking Gundrones are very powerful in dropping down on stationary artillery squads and rear armor (or catching a hiding Vyper who are open topped).

Mainly - Just remember, Eldar in Vehicles can be dangerous as they're fast than we are. Deny them their vehicles with our perfect anti-eldar-tank weapons and the game is done. Eldar on the ground are dangerous, but not when we have markerlights and pierce every defense they pretty much have.

It is pretty much Cat & Mouse with mechanized Eldar. They're fast and have dangerous weapons, but they simply don't do much once they lose their precious vehicles and just so happen the perfect weapons for that.
Old 13 May 2005, 13:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Their vehicles have really low AV, on AV10, which they all have on at least one side, you can simply use anything we have! Stunning vehicles is enough, they don`t have to die turn one. Anything you can toss at em works. Because if on turn one they don`t get a good start, they, unlike Tau, are done for. Brakes is the key word here. Rock&roll em out O0

Knowing how to use power is genius

Call me your highness
Closed Thread