Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Seven Samurai
Old 30 Sep 2008, 00:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Seven Samurai

I havent used my trusty Crisis Suits in 5th ed anywhere near as much as I did in 4th - and im starting to miss the little blighters So as I have a battle weekend coming up I thought it might be fun to give Farsight and the Seven Samurai a work out, and just have a hugely expensive and shooty unit of Suits storming up the battlefield in an orgy of destruction (theoretically :P) (a bit like Ravager Zero's Aggro Tau) . Never having tried the Seven Samurai before I was wondering if anyone else had given it ago and what sort of result they have had? (nb. I am not expecting it to be amazingly effective, but win - or more likely lose, I think it will be funny!)

The unit I am thinking about is -

Commander Farsight.

Suit 1 - Shield Generator, TL MP, TL and Drone Contoller. 2 x Gun Drone

Suit 2 - Shield Generator, TL MP, TL and Drone Contoller. Failsafe Detonater. 2 x Gundrone

Suit 3 - Shield Generator, AFP, MP, TL, MT and Drone Controller. 1 x Gundrone 1 x SD

Suit 4 - Shield Generator, CIB, MP, TL, MT and Drone Controller. 2 x SD

Suit 5 - Shield Generator, PR, FB, TL, MT and Drone Controller. 2 x SD

Suit 6 - Shield Generator, PR, FB, TL, MT and Drone Controller. 1 x Marker Drone

Suit 7 - Shield Generator, PR, MP, TL, MT and Drone Controller. 1 x Marker Drone

Every Model (including Farsight) has TL - so can split their fire at pretty much anything (apart from the drones which will fire at the targeted unit). There are 5 MP's - so 10 S 7 shots a turn, 4 PR's = 4 S6 ap2 shots (8 within 12 inches), 2 FB's - so 2 S8 AP1 Shots. The AFP, and the Cyclic Ion Blaster - 5 strength 3 shots. Plus 5 Gundrones - so 5 S5 Shots, and 2 Markerlight Dones - 2 markerlight shots with relentless rule. - so 29 shots a turn (33 within 12). The Marker Drones add BS - Strip cover saves etc. The whole unit has Shield Generators so should last well in CC (even against Power Weapons), can pump out an awful lot of fire - mincing Infantry and light vehicles and having a good crack against the Heavy Vehicles. Wound allocation wise they would be a very hard unit to destroy as the majority of the suits have different set ups, if they do run from a combat the FSD should keep them safe and they all get bonding knifes free so can regroup under 50%.

The unit weighs in at 1006 pts :P (we play a 1500 pts game normally_

Would Probably back them up with 2 Squads of FW in Warfish (maybe with a couple of Seeker Missiles) and (as it counts as a 1 + Unit) a couple of Bogstandard Suits with TL Flamers.

It would be a very small army (lets hope for KP's!), But I think it would be funny to try - So if anyone has played the Seven Samurai let me know!

Its Mad but I reckon it has to be fun!
Old 30 Sep 2008, 01:45   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Seven Samurai

Er... this is something that's been puzzling me in 5th ed, but what does TLing flamers do? Flamers are a template weapon, and while in 4th ed, I'm told it let you reroll partials, but what does it do in 5, where there are no partials?
Originally Posted by BRC
The W40k universe is like a hobo with a terminal disease tied to some railroad tracks in the middle of a warzone.
And that's not awesome how?
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 02:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

One dead-on blast template will smash this group hard, and being so large it's gonna be hard to hide them in cover. Best to deepstrike it; the win all lose all gamble is perfect for a high. :-*

I run 7Sam at 3000pts using FOC because I ran out of slots. But my config is basically achieved by combining 3 TA'd Helios (normally my 2nd HQ) with 4 shielded Burning Eyes, with the Farsight + Eyes being a close-quater dedicated MEQ-killer and the Helios for popping termies and tanks.

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 02:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
Er... this is something that's been puzzling me in 5th ed, but what does TLing flamers do? Flamers are a template weapon, and while in 4th ed, I'm told it let you reroll partials, but what does it do in 5, where there are no partials?
Twinlinking flamers allows you to re-roll to wound. Which is super handy!
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 03:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
In 5th edition, as well as in 4th, Flame template weapons hit all models even partially touched. So in 5th like in 4th, a twinlinked flamer lets you re-roll all failed To Wound rolls. Really really useful, but the suit will usually get killed by whatever it doesn't kill in the following turn.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 03:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Quote:
Twinlinking flamers allows you to re-roll to wound. Which is super handy!
That's right... p31 right under the Twin Linked Template Weapons paragraph.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 03:57   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry. I'm a fast reader, but a friend of mine has our rulebook, so I've been struggling to get enough time alone with it.

So... are Farsight and his 'seven samurai' the reason that he has HS, allies, and FA units severly limited? I hadn't really realized how many points could be sunk into crisis suits!

Makes me want to go out and get Farsight...
Originally Posted by BRC
The W40k universe is like a hobo with a terminal disease tied to some railroad tracks in the middle of a warzone.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 04:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It comes at a price, as suits can't carry Railguns, meaning that you have a max of 1 mobile and 3 static. You also don't have Kroot. These limits present a unique challenge, and it isn't meant for everyone.

Quote:
Quote:
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 30 Sep 2008, 04:12   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Are you referring to broadsides? I think it says 0-1 broadsides/hammerheads/piranhas.

If not, I didn't know crisis suits could take railguns to begin with.

Also, I don't have kroot at all, at the moment. I'm not to fond of them model wise, and they don't look all that good in CC.
Originally Posted by BRC
Old 30 Sep 2008, 07:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You can only carry a max of 1 of each type of unit, not only 1 of any FA/HS. So my railgun numbers were 1 railhead and 3 sides.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: