Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Best Broadside Set-up
Old 29 Sep 2008, 08:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Best Broadside Set-up

Well I'm thinking of dusting of my tau and pretty much gonna try to play them again. I havn't really played since 3rd due to the new codexes and the editions keep changing. So what may had worked before don't really work now.

Ok I'm gonna list a few set ups and wanna get yalls opinion on which one I should use. My main problem is I use to use multi-tracker a lot and a.s.s. looks very promising. Also I could get away saying a curse word.

1.Ok in this set up I'm running 4 broadsides into teams of 2.

223pts- Team Leader, 2 plasma, 2 hard point a.s.s., TL 1 wired blacksun, TL 1 wire multi, TL 1 wire drone, two shield drones, bonding knife

for a total of 446 pts.

In this set up I have a combination of old and new. Both suits can shoot and move all systems. In 5th my drone controler can die and I can lose 2 shield drones. That's one thing that hurts with this.

But I can lay impressive fire power and be mobile.

2. Same as before but no a.s.s.

208pts- Team Leader, 2 plasma, 2 hard multi, wired blacksun, wire drone, two shield drones, bonding knife

Now with this set up I'm pretty much going back to how I use to set up my broadsides. Use to love seeing deepstrikeing terminaters within 12" of my broadsides. That's 2 str 10 ap1 and 4 str 6 ap 2 love. Against a monsterfex army these guys really help to cut them down to size.

3. Ok this is where I put my eggs into one bucket. At this point you get the ideal from example 1 and 2. So for 4 just insert a.s.s.

298 - 3 broadsides , Team Leader, 3 plasma, 3 hard point multi, wired blacksun, wire target lock, wire drone, two shield drones

with a squad of 3 I added target lock so the team leader can split his fire. I had a lot of success using this set up in the past and kinda like it. The top 2 gives me more versatillity, but this one pretty much wipes away my problems if you know what I mean.

Anyway love to hear the input and see what I want to go with. So far getting a bit frustrated trying to figure how I want to set up my broadsides now. I want to run a hammerhead as well. So I only got 2 slots. If I choose one slot my final slot would be another hammerhead or a sky ray.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 12:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Best Broadside Set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76

1.Ok in this set up I'm running 4 broadsides into teams of 2.

223pts- Team Leader, 2 plasma, 2 hard point a.s.s., wired blacksun, wire multi, wire drone, two shield drones, bonding knife

for a total of 446 pts.

In this set up I have a combination of old and new. Both suits can shoot and move all systems. In 5th my drone controler can die and I can lose 2 shield drones. That's one thing that hurts with this.

But I can lay impressive fire power and be mobile..
Hmmmm I am not sure this set up is totally legal if i understand it correctly, only the team leader can have the Hardwired MT (as he is the only one with access to wargear) The other BS would have his 1 slot taken by the A.S.S. So only one of your two Suits would be able to fire both weapon systems on the move. The other would have to chose between the rail and the SMS.

The 2ND option seems fine (but SMS is only strength 5 not 6) as does the 3rd.

In 4Th edition the A.S.S was amazing, as it gave your BS's the ability to keep moving and firing and stay in LOS of there targets. With the new Terrain rules in 5Th edition its still very good but maybe not as necessary - as if you place well at the start of the game you should be able to see most things anyway.

I haven't really done much with Broadsides in 5Th yet - but in 4Th I used to have a team of 3 with A.S.S, 1 teamleader with HW MT and TL, Drone Controller and 2 Shield Drones. I then used to buy a Crisis Commander, with PR and MP, Iridium armour, TL and HW MT, Plus Drone controller and 2 Shield Drones, and join him to the team - giving 4 suits (2+ save) and 4 Drones (2+ Save). The two target locks let the leader and commander fire at different targets and the whole unit (while expensive) put a whole lot of hurt on anything that came near - firing 3 Rail Guns, 4 sms Missiles, 2 Missile Pods and a plasma rifle at anything that got near it.

That worked for me anyway! And was good against infantry, Tanks and MC's.

hope that helps
Old 29 Sep 2008, 14:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The Team leader has the 1 hard wire. Also plasma is for plasma rifles.

Also I realise in setup 1 that oe can shoot all and one have to choose. The plasma is for when enemies get within 6".

But thanks for the input. I never thought about adding my hq to broadsides. I probably do missles and plasma/melta.
But a really hard unit to kill and more targets to spread fire on.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 14:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

1 problem with option 1 and 2:Wasted points. The bounding knife is useless on a team with anything less the 5 models, since the bonus confered can only be used if you are below 50%...the smallest unit where you can regroup below 50% is a team of 5 since you will have 2 models left.

Personally I would go with team 2 or 3 and take adventage of the terrain to slowly pick away at MEQ and vehicule from afar.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 15:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have 2 shield drones. If my lonely broadside run it will keep running. Now if it was just two I would agree. But 5pts isn't really that much. If I do the O'Shova route than it will be free.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 15:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well it was always my understanding that BK was pointless if 1 model remain since he can't regroup...and since a team of 4 (2 XV88 + 2 drones) that falls below 50% is basically 1 model, that's why I recommand getting rid of them.

But in the case of the 3 xv88 and 2 drones now that's an investment that's more useful since below 50% you still have 2 models left.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 16:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I see what you mean. But for 5pts I can get my 85pt model to stay andhold out the line. With fire warriors or with stealth suit in a case like that I wouldn't mind dealing with a lost like that. But a 75- 95 point model I mind a bit more. That 85pt model still can take out a 250pt model. That's how I'm looking at it. I agree with your train of thougt on cheaper models.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 22:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

While all your set-ups are fine, I find them to be filled with wasted points. The Blacksun is only worth taking if you play in night fights and While ASS is good for moving, it is better IMO to place them in a static position and make them impossible to kill. If moving is a big deal to you, making them all equiped with Plasma Rifles so they can move and rapid fire is a better option I think. Team leaders I find to be a waste since very few armory upgrades are actually worth the points on a Broadsides.

I run a squad of 3, no team leader, all equiped with plasma rifles and a drone controler. Along with 6 shield drones, they are almost imposible to kill and nothing wants to get near them, but 72' range with rail makes that ok. the entire squad comes to 330 points for a squad of 9.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote