Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Interesting thoughts for a new commander upgrades....
Old 28 Sep 2008, 19:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Interesting thoughts for a new commander upgrades....

So my problem with crisis suit commanders has always been that they're not terribly different than regular crisis suits. They've got better ballistic skill and more wounds but that's about it. There's not much that makes them special. So I was thinking an interesting idea would be to give them some abilities that make them really stand out.

An idea that I came up with was 1 that I got from the intro to Dawn of War Soulstorm when a crisis suit commander Identifies and specifically targets the enemy commander and takes him out. I thought this could be a neat ability. Here's how I was thinking of having it work.

Basically it's a specialized target lock that is taken as a peice of wargear. It allows him to use a markerlight hit to allocate wounds. So basically rather than the player who owns the unit allocating the wounds, the player doing the shooting allocates the wounds. Similarly to the new space marine scout sergeant telios. I thought this would be a cool idea. And it'd be a piece of wargear that ONLY commanders could take. Perhaps even something that only a Shas'O could take. It'd also give Tau players a great reason to take marker drones with their command squad.

What do you guys think? I dont think it would be terribly unbalancing as long as they adjusted the commanders points cost significantly. Also, it's a peice of wargear that he has to pay for. Lastly to even do it he has to use a marker light hit, so if you take out all the tau players marker lights then this ability goes out the window. It's a gamble, which is why I think it would make a very interesting ability.

That's my idea, if you guys have any other ideas let me know.

(P.S. We all know that EVERYONE wants an XV22 commander. So since that goes without saying let's try and come up with some other stuff.)
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2008, 21:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Interesting thoughts for a new commander upgrades....

Well speaking of Dawn of war i think it would be cool for commanders to be able to have more than 2 weps. my commander in DoW had like 4 guns on him
commanderbrightsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2008, 22:40   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

This is not a battlesuit upgrade, but it is for a commander's use, kind of. I think Ethereals should get some kind of command and control drone, like Shadowsun's.

However, the Ethereal would be able to control the drone and move it further away than 2" away, as long as he had LOS to it. Then any Tau within a certain distance of the drone (or with LOS, either would be fine) would be treated as if it could see the Ethereal.

Not sure what would happen if the drone died, though. The Ethereal would probably just have to revert to the normal rules. Although it would also be possible that the Tau units without LOS to the Ethereal would test for price of failure as usual, not knowing if their leader himself had died, or if it was just the drone.

Also, XV-22 commanders would be nice to have.

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination

Hoi, hoi, u embleer hrair
m'saion ule hraka vair
woogmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2008, 23:04   #4 (permalink)
Vau
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
So my problem with crisis suit commanders has always been that they're not terribly different than regular crisis suits. They've got better ballistic skill and more wounds but that's about it. There's not much that makes them special. So I was thinking an interesting idea would be to give them some abilities that make them really stand out.
Agreed completely. Also a good idea there about the specialized target lock. Personally I'd like to see some kind of upgrade or ability that allowed the commanders to actually help command their troops while also performing the job of an improved Crisis suit, rather than just the latter. Something similar to a Space Marine commander's Rites of Battle (except worse) or the Imperial Guard command squad's Master Vox/Vox Caster system.

By the way crothhaar, you can equip any Crisis suit with up to three weapons on it's hardpoints, however you can only use one at a time unless you have a multitracker, which takes up a weapon space. Commanders, Crisis suit team leaders and Command Squad members can buy a hardwired multitracker which allows them to fire two of these weapons in a turn without occupying a hardpoint, which lets you equip any of these with a weapon and a twin linked weapon (which occupies two hardpoints but only counts as one weapon) and fire all of them, which is the closest you can get to a Dawn of War style setup, though I wouldn't recomend it on anythng less than a commander due to it's point cost.

Also XV22 commanders would be awesome. I'm converting one from an XV25 and using Shadowsun's rules, though I'd prefer to have armed it with a fusion blaster and plasma rifle.
Your head is the most important part of you, and so it only makes sense that you give all your soldiers helmets. If you should wear one when you ride a bicycle, you should wear one when you fight a vast, unending intergalactic war 38 millennia into the future.
Vau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2008, 23:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

I always thought Ethereals should have their Inspiring Presence rule to be like this.... The unit he/she is attached to is Fearless, within 18 inches uses the Ethereals Leadership, and within line of sight can rel-roll Moral tests.

Also Tau Commanders should have some sort of defensive CC ability... not some thing that is mega killy but something that help survive.... i really like Aun'shis rule about useing on of his attacks to remove one attach from a model in base contact. Not necasraly like that cos Aun'shi is ment to be an expert with the blade, but you get the general idea... or fletchet dischargers idea used on R'ymrs.... or maybe like in DoW when in close combat the Tau commander fires all his weapons.... you get that many attacks and they are of that stat line... if the weapon has high enough BS then it is classed as a Power Weapon for purpose of stuff like Bionics and WBB. so for example a standard Helios commander would get 3 attacks that ignor armour, and for a fire storm against an SM you'd get 5 attacks with them taking a save but against a standard IG they would get 5 Power Weapon attachs...

And of course... XV22
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 02:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't think the ethereal has the ability to allow units in 18" to use his leadership? If you were suggesting that they give that to them as an ability then I agree.

My suggestion would be to give ethereals wargear options like a jetpack. This way they can accompany a crisis suit unit without slowing them down horrendously. Also giving them the option for a personal shield generator so that they aren't that easy to one shot. And don't have to absolutely depend on shield drones that aren't as reliable as they used to be.

With a few upgrades ethereals could be pretty awesome. I also think they should get some new ethreal only upgrades. Perhaps an infantry disruption pod that allows him and the unit he is in to count as obscured from shooting outside 12". That could be pretty awesome.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 03:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the commander having the ability to designate wounds on a one wound per marlight hit removed would be completely fine since they cost at least 50 points and so does the new space marine scout heroe guy. Also, since the commander can't do this inately, unlike the SM heroe, and need marklight hits on the said target unit, I think it would be a balanced ability. However, I don't think it should be a piece of wargear you need to buy, but come as a hard-wired peice of wargear integrated into the Commander's Crisis suit.

I also, think all the commanders (all two of them) should have the ability to take the same special issue wargear, i.e. both can have a cyclic ion blaster. Maybe this is broken but I am not sure... just an idea.

As far as the ethereals go I think they should have their presence thing reverted back to the third ed. version, where they simply had to be on the field to grant moral re-rolls. Also, I agree that ethereals should have a set of wargear for them to make them more effective combatant, or increase their servivability at the least.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 03:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I appreciate your input but I like my idea better hehe.... I think it should be a commander specific wargear option because I don't think you should be forced to take it if you don't intend to use it.

There should be other upgrades as well and not just this one. I think it would be good to give commanders options to really make them stand out.

I've also said it before and I think it's worth repeating. I think farsight would be better if his army allowed him to take crisis suits as troops. Fire warriors would still be 1+, and they wouldn't be able to have a shas'vre upgrade. I think it would go a long way to make farsight more powerfull in higher points games.

Old 30 Sep 2008, 07:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
I appreciate your input but I like my idea better hehe.... I think it should be a commander specific wargear option because I don't think you should be forced to take it if you don't intend to use it.

There should be other upgrades as well and not just this one. I think it would be good to give commanders options to really make them stand out.

I've also said it before and I think it's worth repeating. I think farsight would be better if his army allowed him to take crisis suits as troops. Fire warriors would still be 1+, and they wouldn't be able to have a shas'vre upgrade. I think it would go a long way to make farsight more powerfull in higher points games.

This would be flat out orgasmic. As much as I love (and on occasion, hate) fire warriors, if I could take crisis suits as troops, I wouldn't field anything but battlesuits and hammerheads.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 18:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What about blasted Ethereal armor?? What Tau in their right mind would face the enemies of the Empire in their BATH ROBE? (Wait.....maybe it's an inspire by pure audacity thing.)

As for on topic, I like the idea of the Flechette on a commander like on R'myr. Even at one shot, I like it. The command drones of Shadowsun would be nice, but that would take away her uniqueness.

Maybe an inspire type of upgrade, where the Commander leads the charge gaining all units with in 12 inches to gain 1d6 for their run.

And a XV22 suit would not be so good. While I do not want my commander to be shot at any more then the next Shas'o, I feel that to have my commander hidden would instill a sense of cowardice in the image that the Fire Warriors have of him. I want my commander to take hits and shrug them off like they didn't mean anything. I want him to be bleeding inside the suit, but boldly rallying his forces to take the high ground.

The again, my commander has never died, but seems incapable of going a full game with out looking bloodied. Maybe it's that Bruce "I didn't get hit, but yet I am scratched up, cut up, and bleeding everywhere" Willis thing.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote