Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Seekers! (How many?)
Closed Thread
Old 11 May 2005, 21:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Seekers! (How many?)

I am wondering, for you people using pathfinders, how many seekers do you have in your army list?
And do you have any additional markerlight support (like Fw leaders?)
Old 11 May 2005, 21:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Seekers! (How many?)

I am of the opinion that, if your using Seekers, you should go for it completely or not at all.

Going for it completely and using an Alpha Strike I would take 12 Seekers, 4 on 3 Vehicles. More of you are using 2 Pathfinder Squads. That gets rid of an entire squad of Marines, most of the time and you still have some left over for turn 2 and 3. By then you have used them all up
Old 11 May 2005, 21:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's hard to use seekers...a bit hit and miss. Not really worth it unless you know for a fact you are facing someone using units that have a 3+ non invulnerable save that cost a lot.
Old 11 May 2005, 21:38   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

like 50% then :P SMarine armies!
Old 11 May 2005, 21:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I prefer a Squad of Stealths to a Squad of Pathfinders.
Old 11 May 2005, 22:00   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

But if you already are using 2 6 man squads
Dond any one have any sugjestions of how many seekers in a 1700p list, with a 8 man pathfinder squad ?
Old 11 May 2005, 22:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Seekers are a flavor. And like many flavors, if one is to taste too much, one may find it not being so good after a while. And when the taste is not enough, it leaves us wanting more. So keeping that in mind, it's a good idea to use seekers in a manner that you will be able to use them quickly, not prolonged through-out the game.

If you have a full 8-man Pathfinder team - 4 seekers is the maximum I would ever take in my own list. Seekers are not a reliable piece of weaponry, and can easily be lost due to squads being destroyed or vehicles carrying seekers being destroyed.

In my experience, too many seeker missiles is like most things in a list that come too many--not a good thing. Also, taking a single one doesn't impact the game enough to warrant the investment of markerlights. So we should keep a balance in mind, of seekers to markerlights.

One could save a few seeker missiles for later in the game as a "surprise" should the Hammerhead or Broadside be put down. In this case, definitely keep them on the low side of about 2 seekers that can be launched from Fire Warrior squads. If Pathfinders are in any list, 4 seeker missiles are always a good choice (unless you're just skimming points).

Now, about 1700 points for a tournament, 4 seekers in my opinion, which is just enough for the pathfinders to use. If you had extra points available, maybe 6 seekers maximum for a surprise hit later on (such as the last seekers needed to put a character to sleep after destroying his retinue after a fresh deepstrike for example).
Old 11 May 2005, 22:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yea, I would agree with mal, as 4 should be enough in 2000pt games and below, because they are not ultimately powerful weapons, they are literally as powerful as a rocket launcher but less dependable, which is why I tend not to take them...

and also, is that a chinchilla in your avatar?

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 11 May 2005, 22:56   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes it is ;D

4 seem like a good number, since that is 1 full turn of seeker dakka, on avarage.

Question:
Would it be viable to have a list containing 2 8 man pathfinder teams, and alot of seekers, and would that work?
Old 11 May 2005, 23:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

You really only need one squad of pathfinders in an army....

Just like with too many seeker missiles, or too many of a flavor, it becomes inefficient. Your overall firepower decreases instead of becoming more efficient, like it would with only one squad of pathfinders.

I would only advise two squads of pathfinders in MASSIVE games, like 2500+. Then your other troops can truly appreciate the efficient upgrade that the markerlights bring to the battle.

And with the 4 seekers, put them on the devilfish that the pathfinders have assigned to them. That way, you can hide the devilfish while it still has missiles, then attack when it has none.