Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shas'o hard point combinations, trying to find a good balance...
Closed Thread
Old 11 May 2005, 20:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem
Default Shas'o hard point combinations, trying to find a good balance...

I was wondering, for a Shas'o to be used in general (not making a whole bunch of different shas'os) would any of the following combinations be good?

Plasma Rifle + Smart Missle + Multitracker

or

Twin Linked Plasma + Drone Controller

I want something that can pretty much provide all purpose support for my army. Not too sure if I really want bodyguards, I'm not to sure really what will work. I don't feel like ripping off my guys equip on a hard point and adding different ones if a combo kinda sucks.
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 11 May 2005, 21:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Shas'o hard point combinations, trying to find a good balance...

Equipping Commanders

When choosing a Commander you have 2 options, an El or an O. An O, while having an extra wound, costs a reasonable amount more with no significant gain. Some people like Multi O's which I will explain later, a vast majority however, prefer the indespensable El with a FireKnife (PR+MP+MT) combo, but twin linking one of the weapons.

Common and very useful configs for an El are:

Plasma Rifle, Twin linked Missile Pod and Hard wired Multi Tracker - This gives you a useful, cheap El at just under 100 points. He can shoot well and really cause some damage to light armour.

Twin linked Plasma, Missile Pod and Hard wired Multi Tracker - Same as above, but better vs Infantry, especially Marines and their equivalents.

These are the most cost effectice and versatile Commanders. They arent too expensive and they do everythign well, while being Independant Characters. So don't give your Commanders Body Guards, they are expensive Crisis Suits, with no benefit.

Multi O - This obviously involves a Shas'O, but where it differers from the above is its armament. This consists of 3 Weapons and a Hard Wired Multi Tracker. The most versatile being a Fusion Blaster, Missile Pod and a Plasma Rifle or Burst Cannon if you are light on Stealths. This give you the right weapon for every situation, whatever that may be. I personally have never used one, but I prefer the El's listed above as O's can be quite expensive.

Some useful Combo's are:

Fire Knife - Plasma,Missile Pod and Multi Tracker. (Twin Linked one weapon if team leader or a Commander). This is probably the best overall config, dealing with pretty much everything pretty well.

Death Rain - Twin Linked Missile Pod with whatever 'filler' you want. This config is good for a lot of armies, especially Eldar and Dark Eldar, Kult of Speed and some Marine armies, that use lots of light and medium vehicles.

There are other combinations, but on an expensive Crisis Suit these are the only ones I would use.

PS Don't get Body Guards, they are Crisis Suits that are even more overpriced, and they make your Commander lose IC status (Can't stress that enough)

Good Luck, I'd go with the El with Twin Linked Missile or Plasma
Old 11 May 2005, 21:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Robogem:

For me, any weapon combined with the Missile Pods (twin-linked when possible for me) is always a good decision, be it burst cannons, plasmas, fusions, or even flamers. Missile Pods are just an all around important weapon to fill out that medium range, high strength multi-shot niche for busting armor as well as dakka against infantry that the Tau lack. The Tau jump from S5 weaponry stock right up to the big weapons on the tanks, with only the missile pod taking middle ground and having enough range to do it's job (plasma is good, but at 24 inches, it's not really good against transports, and is more for simply breaking infantry and heavily armored models).

So, keeping that in mind, as Epsion put it... choose your Shas'O or Shas'El.

The simple solution generally is, if you use the Shas'el, twin-linking is a great way to have a cheap sure-shot on your hands. The Shas'O on the other hand doesn't need twin-linked weapons and can make more use of multiple weapons (in which case weapons like FireKnife configurations shine a bit more for users).

As for me, my favorite suits are cheap suits that pack real punches. So keeping that in mind, twin-linked missile pods with a single cheap support gun (be it plasma for those power armor boys, or burst cannons for the horde types). Don't underestimate the amount of firepower a Missile Pod and Burst Cannon on a single suit (or group of suits) can produce. However, generally, commanders make better use of our awesome plasma due to their heightened stats.

By the way - if you take twin-linked plasma and take a drone controller, you have to buy drones (you cannot just fill that 3rd hard point with drone controller for no points and use it as a way to skimp on the points, unfortunately).
Old 11 May 2005, 22:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Your Twin Linked El (TLE?) can be used with Missile Pods as its main weapons or with the Plasma. Missiles would give it range and extra shots, letting you take down 2 models a turn, then the Plasma for a 'side'arm'. Better VS armies that don't have a high toughness OR armour save.

Or you could be more aggressive and use the Plasma Twin Linked as your main weapon. Better vs Chaos, Marines and Necrons, appeals to me a lot more than the Missile Pods, but Missile Pods just get the job done and they look great. Both basically cost the same, Its just a choice between Plasma and Missiles.

Does anyone here use 2 Els, one with each?
Old 12 May 2005, 00:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem

Well, I guess I'll go with the plasma + missles but I gotta decide what to twin link i guess. Also, twin linking doesn't take up 2 hard points, I thought it does (I'm a noob I guess) for the Shas'el-or O I make.

But yeah, I'll keep that all in mind when I equip my normal suits and yada yada yada.
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 12 May 2005, 02:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Plasma/Missile/Fusion/Hard-Wired Multitracker combo. All the benefits of fireknife, with the added bonus of a helios fire mode that allows it to do a lot of things that fireknife cannot.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 12 May 2005, 03:24   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robogem
Well, I guess I'll go with the plasma + missles but I gotta decide what to twin link i guess.* Also, twin linking doesn't take up 2 hard points, I thought it does (I'm a noob I guess) for the Shas'el-or O I make.

But yeah, I'll keep that all in mind when I equip my normal suits and yada yada yada.
No, you were right. Twin-linked weapons on a Crisis suit take up two hardpoints. Twinlinked weapons on a Broadside suit only take up one (although it doesn't really matter). The nice thing about twin-linked weapons is that you don't need the multitracker for them.
Old 12 May 2005, 06:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Question: From what I've seen, the efficiency that comes from taking an 'el comes from the points you save twin-linking a gun, instead of opting for the BS 5.

If you wanted to be dead certain to hit with the plasma, would buying an 'o be preferable to dual linking plasma on an El?

Also: I've had a lot better luck than I expected using an O with a plasma rifle, fusion blaster, multi tracker, and a (admittedly extraneous) shield generator. Expensive, but the extra wound seemed to come in handy, considering the fine line he reguarly walks with those ranges. And the BS5 meant I felt a bit of extra security relying on that blaster.

In low point games, that guy is a monster. But I could see it being eclipsed in larger scenarios.
Old 12 May 2005, 06:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robogem
Well, I guess I'll go with the plasma + missles but I gotta decide what to twin link i guess. Also, twin linking doesn't take up 2 hard points, I thought it does (I'm a noob I guess) for the Shas'el-or O I make.

No, you were right. Twin-linked weapons on a Crisis suit take up two hardpoints. Twinlinked weapons on a Broadside suit only take up one (although it doesn't really matter). The nice thing about twin-linked weapons is that you don't need the multitracker for them.

u dont need a MT with them what if u have another weapon then u need one right like MP and TL PR right?

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 12 May 2005, 09:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I ususally use shas'o in this configuration: Shas'o - plasma rifle, missile pod, shield generator, HW multi tracker and HW blacksun filter.
- It is quite expensive but as i play pure mech tau list i tend to have fewer models that can shield my commander so it is sometimes good to have shield generator.

The other version i use is shas'o with missile pod, fusion blaster, shield generator, HW multi tracker and HW blacksun filter.
- It is really uncomon configuration but i usually keep it as deep striking backup for busting tanks and in it's role it is really efficient (as it is possible for me to lose all my railguns as i don't field broadsides.

Also i play quite often in nightfight conditions so it is why i equip Blacksun filters as they are really cheap and can save the day really easily.
Closed Thread