Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Tau vs. Necrons - 1850 Seize Ground/Dawn of War
Old 24 Sep 2008, 07:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default [BatRep] Tau vs. Necrons - 1850 Seize Ground/Dawn of War

Well i dunno if it's ok to post battlereports on both forums of the respective armies involved, but I think this battle report is kinda nice (so far) and i'm sure my friend would be interested in fellow Tau opinions on his play decisions and the game overall from Tau perspective. So here it is:

Game played at my house on the floor since I lack a good table (we have a battlemat). Played for fun practice and to better understand our armies, trying new things and old things in new ways.

The army lists were as follows:
TAU EMPIRE
HQ:
1 Commander Shas'el
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

Elite:
4 Stealthsuits
Support Systems; Add Team Leader; Burst Cannon (x4); Targeting Array (x4)
1 Team Leader
Bonding Knife; Burst Cannon; Support Systems; Targeting Array (x1)

(2x)
1 Crisis Battlesuit
Team Leader; Crisis Battlesuit; Bonding Knife; Fusion Blaster; Hard-wired

Multi-tracker; Hard-wired Target Lock; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array
2 Crisis Battlesuit
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

Troops:
10 Kroot Carnivore Squad
Kroot Rifle (x10)

(3x)
9 Fire Warrior
Add Shas'ui; Pulse Rifle (x9)
1 Shas'ui
Markerlight; Bonding Knife; Pulse Rifle

Fast Attack:

5 Pathfinder
Markerlight (x3); Pulse Carbine (x3); Rail Rifle and Target Lock (x2)
1 Devilfish
Burst Cannon; Gun Drones; Landing Gear; Marker Beacon
2 Gun Drones
Twin Linked Pulse Carbines

Heavy Support:
(3x)
1 Hammerhead Gunship
Railgun; Seeker Missle (x2); Two Burst Cannons; Disruption Pod

Total Roster Cost: 1849
Total Models: 63
Seeker Missiles: 6

NECRONS
HQ:
1 Lord
Staff of Light; Destroyer Body; Resurrection Orb

Elite:
(2x)
10 Immortals

Troops:
(3x)
10 Warriors

Fast Attack:
3 Destroyers

Heavy Support:
3 Heavy Destroyers

1 Monolith

Total Roster Cost: 1850
Total Models: 58
Phase Out: 14

After rolling for mission and deployment, we ended up with Seize Ground with D3+2 that came down to 3 objectives and Dawn of War mission deployment. I won first turn and strategically decided to go first to make the most out of the dawn of war night fighting rules as well as the 18" push back. I also wanted to deploy first to claim the objectives early in the game and fight defensively against tau which i've found is more of a defensive army so by taking the defensive position I force them to play out of their element.

DEPLOYMENT
I deployed 2 units of firewarriors by the objective on my left and in the middle which were the furthest ones out to take advantage of my 24" deployment zone and also because i'd be able to shoot directly at anything infront of me since across the board there's only 24" so i'd have a good position to shoot anything he deploys. Since i count on the first turn i planned to run my 3rd squad of warriors to the last objective on my right by the woods and hold it.

He deployed his first firewarrior squad all the way at his board edge to my right behind the woods and his 2nd unit by the short board edge to my right by the woods as well. His HQ was right behind them.

TURN 1 - NECRONS

I attempted to shoot my particle whip from the monolith at the firewarriors unit #1 but nightfighting rules screwed me over I rolled too low, then I attempted to shoot them with my destroyers and got them within range by rolling a 9 (x3 = 27" range). The destroyers killed like 4 or 5 firewarriors, the unit failed their morale check and ran off the board. I used my RUN moves with the immortals to move them towards the middle to where the lord was. The Lord joined up with Warrior Uni #2 and Warrior Unit #3 used RUN to get into the woods infront towards objective #1.

TURN 1 - TAU EMPIRE
During his turn he deployed in the following manner:

close up

He had bad luck with his first turn night fighting rules prevented him from shooting most of his shots. His HQ managed to down a destroyer with missile pod fire it later made his WBB roll and came back in one piece.

And so it came for my Turn 2.

TURN 2 - NECRONS
During my turn I used it to position myself better to make a strong stand against anything and to try and take out those hammerheads that were an ever present threat to my monolith. Thus I moved the monolith 12" forward and a bit to the right. I moved Warrior Unit #1 to the left to guard the objective and be in a better position to fire at the crisis suit unit #2 hiding by the woods. Immortal Unit #1 ran left as well to back up the warriors. Immortal Unit #2 went towards the middle to back up Warrior Unit #2 which would be shooting at the hammerheads in hopes of causing a stun or armament destroyed result. The destroyers remained in place, the heavy destroyers moved up and to the left to target crisis suit unit #2 and back up Immortal Unit#1 and Warrior Unit #1 on that side of the board. Meanwhile the monolith having moved full distance and unable to shoot the gauss flux arc was only left with the choice of firing the particle whip or teleporting necrons. My choice usually leans towards teleporting so I teleported the farthest Warrior Unit #3 to the front and after coming through the monolith portal they proceeded to move 6" up withing rapid fire range of Hammerhead #1.

Shooting Phase
Heavy Destroyers kicked things off shooting at Crisis Suits Unit #2 with no cover saves for them at that angle. I rolled poorly however and only killed 1 suit. Then Warrior Unit #3 rapid fired at Hammerhead #1 and amazingly landed 6 6s to penetrate thus 6 glancing hits and from that I managed to do 5 crew stunned/shaken results and 1 armament destroyed. Which of course I said bye bye to the railgun. (1 down 2 to go). With that taken care of I shoot Warrior Unit #2 at Hammerhead #2 and did nothing. The Destroyers shoot at the HQ and got one wound on him.

After all my shots were done, he took his morale check on the crisis suit unit #2 by the woods and failed it and they took flight off the board. Which was very lucky for me, since I expected quite a fire fight on that side of the board.

No Assaults were made and so it became his turn.

TURN 2 - TAU EMPIRE
He moved crisis suit unit #1 up, and his HQ moved to the right into the woods. His kroot also moved up and to the right into the woods. His devilfish moved infront of Hammerhead #1 to protect it (i didn't know why since I already took it's railgun) but also allowed his pathfinders clear line of sight to shoot. His stealth suits also moved up a bit.

Shooting Phase:
He shot his firewarrior unit #3 at the warrior unit #1 landing a marketlight as well as downing 1 or 2 warriors. The market light was then used to improved the BS of the stealth suits to make them hit on 2+ as they fired as the same unit and knocked another 4 warriors.

He then shot his pathfinders railrifles at the warriors infront and his market lights at the monolith, splitting his fire. and Landing 2 marketlights on the monolith and missing witht the railrifles.

The market lights were used one by each of his hammerheads to improve their BS and hit on 2+ both hit, 1 did nothing and the other penetrated and caused an armament destroyed on the gauss flux arc.

Firewarrior Unit #2 shot up Warrior Unit #3 and took down 3. Then Crisis Suits Unit #1 shot at the Destroyers and did nothing. The HQ shot and took one down. I took my morale checks and passed all and during the assault phase he moved his suits back except for the HQ who remained stationary. The end of Turn 2 looked like this:

Work In Progress...[Editing]
Old 24 Sep 2008, 10:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: [BatRep] Tau vs. Necrons - 1850 Seize Ground/Dawn of War

Cool so far, love the pics

PS. last time i checked the monolith can never move more than 6" a turn unless it deepstrikes of course. ???
Old 24 Sep 2008, 15:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mughi3

PS. last time i checked the monolith can never move more than 6" a turn unless it deepstrikes of course. ???
Mmmm thanks, and i'm new to necrons from reading the ponderous power, isn't that for the old rulebook where if skimmers moved and got shot you'd crash and 'drift' around or what not? So saying that if you move up to 6" which is combat speed and get shot the monolith won't be destroyed or drift? Am I wrong? Is this rule really saying the monolith can only EVER move 6" and has no 'flat out' like every other vehicle in the game?

All vehicles can choose to move flat out as far as I know if they don't shoot (thus why i dont shoot the gauss flux arc when i move flat out but should be still able to use the power matrix).

I mean the whole point of these practice games is to figure out these sort of little errors and mistakes while we play test so it's really useful to have you guys point out any errors like this (i would like some opinions on it tho)
Old 24 Sep 2008, 16:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The objectives postioning is very biased to the necrons, but on the whole- a good report...
Old 24 Sep 2008, 17:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by mughi3

Mmmm thanks, and i'm new to necrons from reading the ponderous power, isn't that for the old rulebook where if skimmers moved and got shot you'd crash and 'drift' around or what not? So saying that if you move up to 6" which is combat speed and get shot the monolith won't be destroyed or drift? Am I wrong? Is this rule really saying the monolith can only EVER move 6" and has no 'flat out' like every other vehicle in the game?

All vehicles can choose to move flat out as far as I know if they don't shoot (thus why i dont shoot the gauss flux arc when i move flat out but should be still able to use the power matrix).

I mean the whole point of these practice games is to figure out these sort of little errors and mistakes while we play test so it's really useful to have you guys point out any errors like this (i would like some opinions on it tho)
As a general rule, when it comes to disparities between a codex and the basic rule book, the codex trumps the basic rule book. There are exceptions to this rule - when a rule refers to old rules that are no longer in existence, the aspects that refer to those rules can generally be ignored.

When it comes to the "Ponderous" special quality of Monoliths, there is nothing necessarily having to do with old rules that no longer apply about a skimmer that can only move up to 6", though one can effectively ignore the rest of the Ponderous entry (those part of the entry do apply to old rules that no longer exist, but the entry basically tells you to treat the Monolith as it should be treated in 5th edition anyway).

It would also be nice if you got your terminology straight, as moving "flat out" is reserved for fast vehicles - there's Combat Speed (up to 6"), Cruising Speed (up to 12"), and Flat Out (up to 18" for ground, up to 24" for skimmers).

You were probably referring to Cruising Speed, in which you cannot fire any weapons unless you're a fast vehicle. The fact is, however, that a codex entry entitled "Ponderous" that explicitly states you can only move 6" pretty much implies to me that, well, Monoliths can only move 6" unless DSing.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 17:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar face
The objectives postioning is very biased to the necrons, but on the whole- a good report...
well understand we follow the rulebook so we each put in the objectives. as a matter of fact he placed 2 of them. I only placed the middle one. It just so happened that I won the 'first turn' roll and choose to deploy first and also I get to choose which side, so obviously i'll take the one where all the objectives are.

If he had won the roll off, he would've picked that side as well as it's the best choice strategically.

@ Unusualsuspect
Still doesnt' make sense with current rules bro, the only part of Ponderous that makes sense with new rules is "The monolith is a skimmer than can move up to 6" seems kind of odd because it's the only thing i've ever seen with a rule preventing it from moving like everything else from it's category. Specially a rule that doesnt apply to anything else for comparison.

"The monolith is a skimmer which can move up to 6" a turn and can if it wishes remain totally stationary. It will not drift if stunned or shaken and if immobilised will not crash like other skimmers, but will sink slowly to the ground and continue to fight from there."

that's what it says (if we aren't allowed to quote the codex i ask that the mod please edit that out)

read the vehicle rules for 5th editon and you'll see that only the first sentence makes sense thus why I took it that the room was obsolete. Ponderous was meant to be a power of the monolith was it not?
Old 24 Sep 2008, 17:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Ponderous has several subrules within it's rules - A) Its a skimmer that can only move up to 6", and B1-3) [doesn't drift, lands without crashing, etc.]

While B1, B2, and B3 certainly doesn't apply anymore (all the stuff they state is already an aspect of the basic rules for skimmers), A doesn't refer to any old rules that no longer apply - they simply make the Monolith an exception to the basic movement rules for vehicles.

Look, special qualities aren't always useful - there's plenty of instances where something listed under "special" really Fs up a model or unit. Ponderous is pretty clear - A monolith is a skimmer that can move up to 6". You can't refer back to the Basic Rule Book and point out the normal movement rules, because Ponderous is an EXCEPTION to the normal movement rules - that's why its a SPECIAL quality.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 19:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusualsuspect
Ponderous has several subrules within it's rules - A) Its a skimmer that can only move up to 6", and B1-3) [doesn't drift, lands without crashing, etc.]

While B1, B2, and B3 certainly doesn't apply anymore (all the stuff they state is already an aspect of the basic rules for skimmers), A doesn't refer to any old rules that no longer apply - they simply make the Monolith an exception to the basic movement rules for vehicles.

Look, special qualities aren't always useful - there's plenty of instances where something listed under "special" really Fs up a model or unit. Ponderous is pretty clear - A monolith is a skimmer that can move up to 6". You can't refer back to the Basic Rule Book and point out the normal movement rules, because Ponderous is an EXCEPTION to the normal movement rules - that's why its a SPECIAL quality.
mmmm i dont think you understand my argument (im not saying that im right at all heck im a beginner with necrons) but ponderous if you look at the rule and mind you i never played 3rd edition, but i did play 4th edition and faced many skimmers, that whole ponderous concept is a power up. A special ability to protect against damage as a whole rule. I dont think it's 'one rule with sub rules' because it doesnt read that way it reads as if saying 'IF the monolith moves this much it gains immunity to the following things'

thats how I saw/see it. Hopefully the new codex fixes this or GW gets wind of this pointless special rule and amends it. They should have done it with the FAQ they released the first time for 5th.

Thanks for helping me tho I appreciate that. And will proceed to only move 6" in future games but i do think it's not making any sense whatsoever if it's not read as a 'power' as it was originally intended in 3rd and 4th edition rulings.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 19:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

TURN 3 - NECRONS
I began my movement phase and started moving all my units forward and gravitating towards the middle of the board except for Warrior Unit #1 that stayed at the far left by the objective.

Shooting Phase
This is where the fun began for me really. After acquiring good positioning in turn 2, I was ready to capitalize on it now and my shots started like this:

The Monolith particle whipped Crisis Suit Unit #1 and hit but i rolled horrible to wound lol getting 2 1s and so I only killed one. The Destroyers shoot up the pathfinders who were a big threat because of all the seeker missiles in my opponent's list and effectively eliminated them all.

Here I had quite some decisions to make. I first attempted to have the heavy destroyers blast hammerhead #1 to hell but unfortunately they did absolutely nothing. Horrible roll there. So then I shot the hammerhead with the Warrior Unit #1 and they managed to cause a shaken result on it which was good enough for me. I shot Immortal Unit #1 at Firewarrior Unit #3 to the left and killed 5. My Lord shot at the stealth suits and killed 3.

Warrior Units #2 and #3 shot up Hammerhead #2 and stunned it. The Immortals shot up the devilfish because I know they can be annoying and they armament destroyed the burst cannon and stunned it.

This turn went really well for me I managed to neutralize all the vehicles which is what I wanted as well as kill a crisis suit some stealth and firewarriors in one fell swoop. He passed all his morale checks and was ready to return fire.

TURN 3 - TAU EMPIRE
His movement phase turned out like this:

Since I pretty much neutralized all his vehicles he was left with little fire power to strike back. He focused his Crisis Suits and HQ into shooting down my destroyers which they managed to wipe off the board.

His firewarrior unit #3 shoot at my Immortals Unit #1 but did nothing. Same for his stealth suits. And so turn 3 came to a speedy close as he didn't have anything to fight back with.

TURN 4 - NECRONS
I moved my lord next to Hammerhead #3 aiming to take it out with CC. I moved up my Immortals Unit #1 and moved back Warrior Unit #1 behind the terrain next to the objective to secure it. My Monolith moved up towards his crisis suits to serve a dual purpose of blocking line of sight and to shoot the gauss flux arc at everything in range. I also teleported Necron Warrior Unit #2 that was on the middle objective to the front to get it within rapid fire range of Hammerhead #2 that was attempting to hide from me behind Hammerhead #1 and the Devilfish. So I cornered it with Warrior Units #2 and #3. The Heavy Destroyers started making their way fast to the right to take out some Crisis Suits.

Shooting Phase
Immortal Unit #1 stunned Hammerhead #1. Immortal Unit #2 stunned the Devilfish. Warrior Units #2 and #3 caused an armament destroyed and immobilised results against Hammerhead #2. The Monolith shot it's flux arc killing a few necrons, doing nothing agains the HQ and wounding one of the crisis suits. The Heavy Destroyers had no clear shot and didn't contribute anything this turn.

My Lord assaulted his Hammerhead #3 and penetrated it with the staff of light rolling a 6 but only got a 1 on the damage chart. So it remained shaken. Which again was good enough for me.

TURN 4 - TAU EMPIRE
All his guys started gravitating towards the large amount of necrons gathered infront of Hammerhead #2 and the Devilfish. His Kroot moved through the woods withing rapid fire range and his crisis suits moved to get a better shooting angle. All his vehicles were nulled except for Hammerhead #2 which was only armament destroyed and immobilised. Hammerhead #3 surprisingly enough didn't move even tho it was only shaken, which would allow me to assault it during my opponent's turn again.

Shooting Phase
He rapid fired the fire warriors unit #2 at Warrior Unit #1 downed a couple, then the hammerhead fired it's burst cannons at them and down a couple more, the crisis suits and hq also fired and downed some more. overall 6 necron warriors were downed from Warrior Unit #1. Surprisingly the Kroot used their run move and moved infront of Firewarrior Unit #2. Apparently my friend was thinking 'defensive' tho I would've thought he'd assault or rapid fire to kill the rest of the unit.

On the other side of the board his Fire Warrior Unit #3 and his Stealth Suits shot at the immortals with some good rolls to make up for last turn's rolls. And managed to down 4 Immortals.

I passed both my morale checks and during the Assault phase my Lord attacked the hammerhead again but didn't cause any damage.

And so turn 4 ended with a lot of downed necrons.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 20:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

What no fletchette launchers on his vehicles?
???

It's almost a mandatory upgrade for tau in 5th edition.

keep em coming!

;D