Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2+ armor save for crisis or stealth unit... (day late and a dollar short)
Old 23 Sep 2008, 17:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default 2+ armor save for crisis or stealth unit... (day late and a dollar short)

So I just figured out a neat trick I could have done in 4th edition that would have annoyed the piss out of people.

In 4th edition they didn't have wound allocation, they had. Majority save. So whichever armor save was in the majority is the on you take and if no majority existed you take the better one.
Under those rules I could have taken a unit of battlesuits and as long as one of them was allowed special issue wargear I could have given him irridium armor and 2 shield drones. So that would make 2 models with a 3+ save and 3 models with a 2+ save because the drones take the save of whoever has the controller. With 2+ being the majority that would effectively give the whole unit a 2+ armor save....

WHY DID I ONLY FIGURE THIS OUT NOW! Hehe... Oh well.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 2+ armor save for crisis or stealth unit... (day late and a dollar short)

Bah - your not alone! oh well - time to persuade people to have a nostalgic 4th edition revival game! ;D
Old 23 Sep 2008, 21:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 2+ armor save for crisis or stealth unit... (day late and a dollar short)

This makes me want to cry. It would have been epic.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 00:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

And would've gimped JSJ for this unit. And back in 4E, JSJ was >> armor saves IIRC; didn't play enough before 5th came along... :P

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2008, 01:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

4th edition's Mixed Armour rule would still apply; it isn't straight majority save. For each enemy unit firing, you would assign 3 wounding hits to the 2+ saves, then 2 to the 3+ saves, then start over at the 2+ and wrap around as needed. Also, if you have an even number of differing saves (3 2+ and 3 3+ for example), you would take saves on the worse one first, not the better one.

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2008, 02:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Ah well... it's not perfect for A LOT of reasons although you've definitely got a point about that. In any case, it still could have been usefull to an extent. It's a shame there's no chance of this working at all in 5th edition. But then again I never really liked to do stuff that could be construed as cheez anyway. So I guess it's no big deal. I guess that's why I never thought of it then. I was always more interested in playing the game and not the rules.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote