Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to abuse 5th edition wound allocation rules for your own benefit
Old 23 Sep 2008, 12:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default How to abuse 5th edition wound allocation rules for your own benefit

A crisis suit team can be made more resilient in 5th edition rules with a little sneakiness in the composition of the team. Start with a standard team of 3 deathrains, but we're going to fiddle with the support systems and wargear. One suit gets a flamer or target lock, and one gets a drone controller and two drones. The last one is upgraded to a team leader so he can take a hard-wired multi-tracker, one more weapon, and a hard-wired drone controller with 2 more drones. I like burst cannon or ABFP for the extra weapon, but plasma or fusion could also work. Any combination works as long as no two suits have exactly the same gear. Also, you will want at least one of the drones to be a shield drone or else you reduce the squads overall toughness, and mixing all 3 kinds of drones gets you another type of model for wound assignment purposes. When casualties are assigned in 5th edition, they are assigned to groups of identical models, and they don't "spill over" to other groups. Out of 7 models, we have 6 groups: gun drone, shield drone, marker drone, drone controller suit, flamer suit, and team-leader. Assign Instant Death hits to drones and take cover or invulnerable saves for them. Other hits can be spread out among the rest of the suits, but you won't lose a suit unless you fail two saves on the same suit. Once one of the suits is wounded, you apply more incoming hits to the other ones to keep him alive longer. With a little luck, you can take 7 unsaved wounds before losing any missile pod firepower from the squad, and that doesn't count the occasional overkill on drones! I've used this with two drones in a squad and it works well.

I admit the wound assignment gets complicated, but I think in a competitive game it could be worth it. What do you think?
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 12:49   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: How to abuse 5th edition wound allocation rules for your own benefit

While you are technically correct, this isn't exactly the right kind of way to play. From the title alone - "How to Abuse the rules" its just wrong.

You're right in what you say, this can be done, and will be effective, but frankly, if someone was pulling this in a game, I'd pack up and leave. Just because the rules are badly worded/planned, doesn't mean its right to abuse them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 13:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: How to abuse 5th edition wound allocation rules for your own benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naieth
While you are technically correct, this isn't exactly the right kind of way to play. From the title alone - "How to Abuse the rules" its just wrong.

You're right in what you say, this can be done, and will be effective, but frankly, if someone was pulling this in a game, I'd pack up and leave. Just because the rules are badly worded/planned, doesn't mean its right to abuse them.
It really depends on who you're playing. In a tournament against people you don't know, or against friends that you trust, I'd say it's not really right to do this, BUT; if you're playing against someone who you know to be hmmm...dishonest...then go ahead and screw with him.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 14:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The drawback of this tactic is that it forces you to sometimes take more gear than you should, or take irrelevant gear. This only works on my Broadside team without drawback because since there's only 2 of them and their 2 Shield drones.

Yes it is playing with the rules, but that's how many Marines players I've come up against settle their wounds to save their lascannon guy, so there really isn't anything wrong.

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 15:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Totally viable tactic for battle suits now and should be considered standard practice when points allow.

I'd go so far as to say it's downright foolish NOT to do it at times.

I especially want to make a wickedly hard to kill 22 model farsight unit. Mmmmm so much killy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 15:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i have to say that while stuff like this sucks at times, it is required at times. the marines can do it without trying, so is it ok for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 15:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

But you are then wasting points for a chance to save your guys.
And if someone shoots you with a squad of lasguns, you could lose the drones, then they fire the support squads. You don't really have a choice.
It seems to be a lot of fuss over something which could be avoided by positioning people better.

One more comment though.
Large blast markers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 16:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm already having trouble trying to run an 8-strong Farsight squad with proper list support at 3000pts, a 22 model unit is a bit too hard to fit in there without gimping something else.

Not to mention rather space-eating in a Manta's hold. <.< / >.>

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 16:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I appreciate the effort that went into posting this however I find it much more effective to configure my crisis suit teams in the manner best suited to kill targets rather than a configuration suited to play the rules. I have to say I thought about doing this but I wasn't really able to find many effective mixes of battlesuit configurations that I would wanna field regularly.

It's more effective to kill your opponents outright rather than limit the units effectiveness by mixing them up and hoping you can use wound allocation to spread out the wounds. It doesn't matter anyway if they shoot lascannons or rocket launchers.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2008, 01:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
I appreciate the effort that went into posting this however I find it much more effective to configure my crisis suit teams in the manner best suited to kill targets rather than a configuration suited to play the rules. I have to say I thought about doing this but I wasn't really able to find many effective mixes of battlesuit configurations that I would wanna field regularly.

It's more effective to kill your opponents outright rather than limit the units effectiveness by mixing them up and hoping you can use wound allocation to spread out the wounds. It doesn't matter anyway if they shoot lascannons or rocket launchers.
Granted it would be silly to put support choices on the unit that don't make sense just to spread the wounds out, but you can get quite a few one model 'groups" without making anything too weird. A good example would be a squad of twinlinked burst cannon suits for horde killing. Make the support choices flamer, gun drones, and CIB with hardwired multi-tracker. All the choices for hardpoint # 3 are appropriate for a horde-killing squad, and you have 4 types of model in a squad of 5.

Another possibility would be deathrains, mixed up with target lock, drone controller, and plasma rifle / hardwired multi-tracker.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote