Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gun Drones on a Hammerhead?
Old 23 Sep 2008, 05:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Gun Drones on a Hammerhead?

So now that I was thoroughly correct on the matter of whether or not Gun Drones mounted on a Devilfish can fire at the same time as the burst cannon I've been considering the ramifications of adding Gun Drones to a hammerhead.

Although the SMS is much more effective and the burst cannon gets MANY more shots there are still some benefits here. Of course the obvious benefit being that as long as you can fire your railgun the gun drones can shoot at targets. So as long as you had a multi-tracker you could still move 12" and fire both weapons. Also, you'd get an extra unit on the table to contest objectives or block assaults if neccessary. This isn't particularly ideal in a kill points mission but in any of the objectives games this could be helpful. I'm going to give this tactic a shot and see how it works out.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the matter? It basically just seems to me that I'm giving up 2 shots and gaining a lot of mobility.

Also, since the Gun Drones aren't actually a weapon system on the Devilfish or the Hammerhead, could they shoot at different targets than the vehicle? This could actually save me 5 points on my hammerhead because I wont need a target lock anymore. This is all very interesting stuff all of a sudden.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 06:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Gun Drones on a Hammerhead?

Problem is that its rather expensive for the 2 shots on a 'Head, and with 18" range, it loses to SMS in range and shots for the same price, and gives an additional KP in Annihilation. However, I'd love it if they could sync with each other and form a giant cloud. :/

That said, I've confirmed with the book, and so at the very least its not a bad idea. But on Fishes, they are not only cheaper, but share the same range as the main gun. Now that's a clear winner.

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 13:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree with khathecleric. It's an extra 10 points above the burst cannons for not very much advantage. You do get the benefit of being able to move 12", fire the railgun, and still have some suppressing fire at a nearby target, but I'd rather move more slowly and annihilate anything close with the burst cannons.

Actually, to contradict myself here, you might be on to something. It's only 5 points more, since I always buy a target lock for my hammerhead, so I'd get those points back. And the problem with burst cannon fire is that any jump infantry that is in range of it on your turn will be assaulting you next turn. Standard units will be able to assault the turn after that if the tank can only move 6 inches without sacrificing firepower. A more mobile hammerhead might be able to stay out of the assault (which is much more dangerous now than it used to be!) for another turn or 2.

Assumptions in the above paragraph, which I'm listing because I still think like a science student. 1) "regular infantry" units that are trying to assault the hammerhead run and roll well for it. 2) Gun drones, since they are basically passengers, can fire at a different target from the vehicle weapons, and the vehicle doesn't need a target lock for this trick.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 17:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The savings on the 5 pts might not mean anything after all; in place of the TL, you then need to take the DL as the tank is now back in 4E 12" action. :P

Quote:
Quote:
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 23 Sep 2008, 17:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I think you still need that target lock though. It says that "they fire ss part of the vehicle" not as passengers. They are only treated as passengers if the vehicle is destroyed. So I think you still need a target lock here.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2008, 01:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So its as if they are "Drone Controlled Twinlinked Pulse Carbines"; if only they fired using the vehicle's BS. :P

That means we have the 4E upgrades, plus the DP. In effect, we were nerfed in BS, range and shots, but buffed in cover saves if we paid for it. It's bad if you look at it this way, but reasonable compared to the Power of the Machine Spirit h4xx I guess. :

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 24 Sep 2008, 05:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

A Hammerhead is damn expensive if all you've got is a fancy Railgun on it. The burst cannons are amazing for their value, and make the Hammerhead one of the most efficient tanks in the game. 10 points for 6 (okay, fine, 4) of what usually costs 10 for one? PLEASE.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2008, 05:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Precisely how do gundrones get to fire in addition to the railgun when moving at 12"? If they are passengers, then they are not allowed to fire at all when the vehicle is moving at cruising speed. If they are weapons, they would count as the vehicle firing multiple main weapons at cruising speed, which isn't allowed. This would be good to know because I could fire the gundrones on a devilfish moving at full speed.
Phanixis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2008, 07:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

According to rules, the drones' special rules state that they fire their guns whenever the tank can fire. So a skimmer with MT can move 12" and fire both 1 weapon, and all drone guns.

Indeed a cheaper tank should be running BCs to save the 10 points. As for the Fish, going drones as I mentioned is a clear winner for cost. Such a MiniFish has:

BC, 2 DC-TLPC, DP, MT, TL.

100 pt skimmer that can fire at a different target even at 12" speed. I eschewed the TA since it doesn't boost the drone guns. I run this config on all my fishes now, and together with the new economy kitting of my vehicles, it has freed up points for me to bring more troops, and better equipped Suits. What do you guys think?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 25 Sep 2008, 20:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
According to rules, the drones' special rules state that they fire their guns whenever the tank can fire. So a skimmer with MT can move 12" and fire both 1 weapon, and all drone guns.

Indeed a cheaper tank should be running BCs to save the 10 points. As for the Fish, going drones as I mentioned is a clear winner for cost. Such a MiniFish has:

BC, 2 DC-TLPC, DP, MT, TL.

100 pt skimmer that can fire at a different target even at 12" speed. I eschewed the TA since it doesn't boost the drone guns. I run this config on all my fishes now, and together with the new economy kitting of my vehicles, it has freed up points for me to bring more troops, and better equipped Suits. What do you guys think?
That's a decent build on the fish, but I'd still go TA over TL. You'll average 2 hits rather than 1.5 with a TA, which is the same bang for you buck as adding a fire warrior. The target lock doesn't seem necessary with that little fire, and if you really want the drones to shoot something else they can just disembark.

I usually put gun drones, MT, dis pod, and TA on a pathfinder devilfish that's set to outflank since it will need the mobility. I usually leave the hammerheads with burst cannons, but since reading this thread I'm considering the gun drone option since it gives you more mobility. It's a tricky decision, though: hammerhead with burst cannons or devilfish with SMS has more firepower at 6" and under, but the drone option for both has more firepower at 12".
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote