Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Most effective unit
Old 22 Sep 2008, 16:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Most effective unit

I was wondering what everyone thought their " most effective unit was" and why. I am building my first army and am still learning and just seeing different peoples views on things.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 16:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Most effective unit

It's a trick question: there are no such thing as 'most effective unit' because it depends a lot of what you want to do.

If you go for MEQ:
FW, XV-8, broadside, sniper drones and hammerhead (a mix of high penetration and volume)

For GEQ:
FW, XV-8; stealth, kroot, hammerhead (volume of shots)

For swarm:
FW, XV-8, stealth, Kroot. (even more so here for the volume)

For the XV-8 it depends on the weapon configuration though.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 16:24   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I was thinking more personally, like I feel my most effective unit thuse far is my stealth team, 2 gun drones, one marker drone, 2 burst cannons and a fusion cannon, I feel thats my most effective unit thus far. (but I plan to add more suits and more drones to it.)
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok - I am going to hold my hands up - I'm not ashamed to admit it, despite all the lovely all round shooty goodness a Tau army has to offer - I would have to say that one of the most effective units in my army are KROOT - yes that's right, I said Kroot.

No I'm not mad (well no more mad than any other 40K player :P). They have just never let me down. About this point people are probably scratching there heads and thinking about lack of saves, strength 4 weapons, low leadership etc etc, but hear me out!

Played properly, Kroot can be devastating. A unit of 10 kroot, out on there own, while cheap is probably about as effective as a chocolate teapot in the Sahara desert. However in 5th ed, with outflank, cover saves and the new close combat rules they become a force to be reckoned with. I find the best setup for them is 15 Kroot and 10 Kroot Hounds, that's 30 rapid firing shots or 75 attacks on the charge! With a positional relay you can hold these badboys in reserve and bring them on in turn 2 quite happily (or later depending on the situation) and pretty much mince a flank. Charge in with your kroot - you have 30 attacks from the hounds at high initiative (they probably go first) when your opponent hacks back remove your casualties from the Kroot Hounds and you still have 45 attacks to play with from your trusty Kroot. That many attacks stands a chance of wiping out most units they close with (even monstrous creatures). In my last battle this set up wiped a carnifex, a squad of tyranid warriors and 15 gaunts in CC and rapid fired a squad of Stealers into oblivion - far more than there points worth.

With cover saves they become far more survivable - 4 +, 3+ in woodland and 2+ in woodland if they go to ground (suddenly its not looking quite so likely that whirlwind will blow them off the objective). They are versatile and can adapt to any army - they can infiltrate, outflank etc. Lay down fire (not as effectively as FW's granted but then they also don't die instantly in CC so it evens out). They are good on the assult (flanking etc) or the defensive (protecting your gun line, holding objectives) as long as you play them right, they are cheap and above all - they are scoring units.

Kroot - I don't leave home without them! and normally play two of the above units in a 1500 pt battle.

I will now shut up and prepare to be mocked
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

It all depends in the situation, but my personal favourite unit would be 3 fireknife suits, when you need to kill termies as often as I need to they are ace.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:39   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah the Kroot are usually something that I write off, but after that explanation I might want to try it out.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrown
yeah the kroot are usually something that I write off but after that Xplanation I might want to try it out.
Well there's always the fire magnet approach (a lot of people have an irrational fear of kroot for some inexplicable reason :P)
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Overall my most effective unit ends up to be the crisis team. I say broadly the crisis team as there are 2 kinds I field: Fireknives like Mr X. seem to do the trick every game, but more recently I have been using deathrains (TLMP with TA) for some reliable transport crushing.

Interesting story with the Kroot GoneFishing. I am in the process of fielding 30 odd kroot, I can only hope they fare as effectively as you have said (barring that your experience MIGHT have been a tad lucky). I would love for a relatively cheap troop choice to be my most effective unit!
Old 22 Sep 2008, 19:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

My sniper drones.

Face it there guy are AWE-SOME!!

Granted they don't move squat, but still their stealth shield means that the opponent needs to be in average within 21" from you to have a chance to hit them...so place them far back to take advantage of the full 36" range and voilà!

Furthermore since all 3 squads are independent one of the other, you can spread the joy all across your deployment zone and not just in 1 spot...so you can take better advantage of terrain there too to create a kill-zone.

Networked markerlight and target-lock...need I say more.

Now the rail rifle is one of the coolest gun you have, Very few enemy can withstand it's awesome AP, and it works equaly well against MEQ, GEQ and MC...swarm is your biggest problem, but that's where the fire warriors and kroot comes into play.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 20:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

There are two units that I find most effective.

My Kroot, for all the reasons that were given so eloquently by GoneFishing, and my Deathrains. TL missile pod and a targeting array on an XV8. It almost never misses, and it absolutely destroys light vehicles and transports, cripples Dreadnaughts, takes down Eldar aspect warriors, destroys swarm enemies without me feeling as though it's a waste, and, in a pinch, can put a bit of pressure on marines.