Shas'La

Default XV8 weapon set, your thoughts

OK so here is my new XV8 weapons layout:
Shas'vre
TL = Twin Linked
(TL) Flamer
Airbursting Fragmentation Projector
Total = 61

I wanted to know your opinions and if there was a name for such a weapon layout already?

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 03:11   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Auroth Send a message via MSN to Auroth
Default Re: XV8 weapon set, your thoughts

Hmmm...

It seems like a rather interesting, but I don't know your exact tactical aim.

My opinion? Swap out that AFP for a Missile Pod to cover medium range, lightly armored or SEQ (Storm trooper Equivalent) foes
Old 22 Sep 2008, 03:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

The problem is with the flamer being so short ranged. Also this may be dangerous to use the afp then because it may scatter on to you.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 03:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

It makes much more sense to put the ABFP on a model that can really take advantage of it. With short range weapons you're just as likely to hit yourself as the enemy. I'd mix it with either a burst cannon, a plasma rifle, or a CIB. There's nothing that says that you cant put both weapons on a single suit. Both of them are great for taking out low toughness swarms.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 03:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I put the AFP on my Deathrain 'Vre for those times that I REALLY need to get rid of a hoard that's charging down on me. I'm even thinking if I should take flamers on my other two suits for those times that I have to get rid of a hoard that's in my face. It would also cheapen the cost of the other two suits (who right now carry Targeting Arrays) by a few points.

Also combining CIB and AFP on the same suit... if you're going to have a CIB put it on a suit with a Targeting Array as the third point (or a Commander) so you don't waste the shooting from it.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 05:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The idea was to make an XV8 suit that could deal with hoards primarily, but the (TL) Flammer's re-roll wounds ability I think it lends itself to deal with power squads. The AFP is more or less to help give it some more range then just the flamer and target a large area. Currently the suit is paired with two other crisis suites that have (TL) Flamer and Burst Cannons. Three template weapons firing into a single squad with re-rolls on wounds I thoguht would be frightening in use, but getting close enough to use them could be a problem I guess.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 05:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In my opinion, the best complement to the ABFP is either twinlinked burst cannons or twinlinked missile pods. And a hardwired multi-tracker, of course. Since barrage weapons now benefit from ballistic skill, you could make the argument that a single weapon and targeting array would be better, or even making the suit a commander, but I'll stick with twinlinking on my suits.

If you're pairing it with other suits that don't get the hardwired multitracker, you could go burst cannon, missile pod, multi-tracker on the others, or (even better) how about twinlinked weapon and a drone controller. Either 2 gun drones or a gun and a shield. Gun drones have the same range as the burst cannons, so it would work well.

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote