Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just thought I'd share my experince in using a Tau army
Old 20 Sep 2008, 17:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Just thought I'd share my experince in using a Tau army

Hey guys,

I'm new to this website but just thought I'd share what i know and hopefully this will help out some of the newer players.

Now I've been using a Tau army for almost a year now and i don't have many pieces, however a friend of mine has been kind enough to let me use his Tau army when i need to, so, the hobby shop i go to has more space marine players than Vegas has hookers. I've been messing around with alot of different combinations to find just the right effect (did i mention my friend has enough tau pieces to build 8 working armies).

As I'm sure most of you already know the flamer is a great weapon to use because your opponent loses their cover save and they're relying on their armour save from there. This works well against tyranids and other tau armies using Kroot. Now speaking of kroot i know most people write them off as a bad troop choice sometimes, hell i did when i first started this army, however kroot are better than i gave them credit for. With the new rules your troops are your scoring points so the kroot are best for this because you can have 16-20 kroot warriors and and option of 0-12 kroot hounds with 0-3 krootox riders which gives you a total of 35 units for scoring points. the other good thing is that you have a chance to hit and penetrate an enemy light armoured vehicle so this really isn't bad for a single troop choice. Getting back to the flamer, as i mentioned before you opponent loses their cover save leaving them open for attack. Using this against tyranids is a great way to get rid of them since they move fast. The best way to do this is have a crisis suit equip twin-linked flamers to ensure a hit. Now if your facing an entire tyranid army make sure at least two crisis suits have twin-linked flamers to handle this.

I have also found that your crisis suits can be some of your best units if you equip them properly. I would strongly suggest leaving all the special issue item in the wargear list for your HQ unit of which I prefer the crisis suit with bodyguard. Not only are they fast but they are the most customizable units you'll have for your army. With the crisis suits i enjoy using the fusion blasters, twin-linked if possible on one unit, for tank hunting and busting up fast attacks quickly. The broadside battlesuits are another great choice if you need to save points in making an army. just keep them equipped with their twin-linked railguns and smart missile systems with a multi tracker so when the enemy gets to close you can open fire with both weapons. Now i know you can exchange the missile system for twin-linked plasma guns but i advise against it because of the gets hot rule, role a one and it explodes giving your model 1 wound and the loss of twin-linked but if you think they'll work better its always your choice.

Now for fast attacks, I'll start with pathfinders. Use your devilfish transport to get as far out as possible make sure you have the allotted limit of three railrifles in the squad and open fire on troops or light vehicles. Now i hate to say it but let them die cause that's all they're good for, sending them out and making a quick one turn massacre trust me its all you'll get out of them if your opponent knows what they're doing and that's if you even get to deploy them. The piranhas are good for more than just speed. Switch their burst cannons for fusion blasters and make them tank hunters for intents and purposes. Gun drones are for the most part worthless, if you do want to use drones i suggest using shield drones and marker drones as options for your troops and suits. The only good drones for attacking are the sniper drones because they have railrifles and a stealth field generator and are a cheap heavy support option.

The last suit you have that is amazing at times is your stealth suits. They have stealth field generators and a good move range so blast radius effects have to roll an extra d6 to determine you position as well as any enemy that fire at a stealth squad.

The last thing is the gunships. The sky ray missile ship is good but not so great only because the missile can scatter as your attacking and since you only get six every shot might have to count depending on the game seriously don't take your chances unless your sure this is what you want otherwise stick with the hammerhead gunships. Hammerheads have the railgun option and that's the best gun in you army even for the pathfinders because of range and strength of the weapon. For the gunships the railgun gets 72 inches which can hit anything on most table tops so take advantage of this any chance you can get.

Now I'm not saying follow this and you'll win no matter what cause these are just my experiences with tau and even if you have the best stuff and you think you cant lose, just remember it all comes down to the dice roll and sometimes luck just hates you.

I do hope this can help some of the new guys and maybe some of veteran players but i could be wrong and this is only what i know since not alot of people play tau at the store i go to.
adamantiumdragon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2008, 22:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Just thought I'd share my experince in using a Tau army

This should be on the Tau board
Old 22 Sep 2008, 14:37   #3 (permalink)
Aun'O

Very nice post +2 karma given.

As Mr X says, this should have been posted in the "Tau" board - no problem though, I've automatically moved it across now.
Tau Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamantiumdragon86
The sky ray missile ship is good but not so great only because the missile can scatter as your attacking and since you only get six every shot might have to count depending on the game seriously don't take your chances unless your sure this is what you want otherwise stick with the hammerhead gunships.
Seeker missiles do not scatter.
cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 17:14   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thx for the post, I would like to disagree with the gun drones a little though. I know they cost +2 pts vs a fire warrior, but I have had good luck with mine so far. They are good at intercepting fast assulters and keeping them away from my firewarriors, and I have even had a unit take out 1/2 unit of space marines (they drew away some black templars away from their post guarding an objective marker and subsequently killed the squad in cc!)

But perhaps if I had more cash to but more fire warriors I would and leave the drones out... but maybe not.

Randy
Randoramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 17:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykosis
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamantiumdragon86
The sky ray missile ship is good but not so great only because the missile can scatter as your attacking and since you only get six every shot might have to count depending on the game seriously don't take your chances unless your sure this is what you want otherwise stick with the hammerhead gunships.
Seeker missiles do not scatter.
If they were small blast template, tau players would have to be morons not to bring a skyray to every battle over 1000 pts....
Old 22 Sep 2008, 17:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I do have to apologize, but I totally disagree with letting pathfinders die.

Not only is it non fluffish, pathfinders have too many uses for me to allow them to just perish. They can remove the cover from a unit entrenched in ruins or trees, bring up the BS of another, more heavily armed unit. The transport can help with Deepstrike, they can lower the difficulty of a pin, they can call in a Seeker missle for a pinpoint attack.

Might I suggest, opposed to just allowing them to perish and knowing that the enemy wants them dead, use them as bait. Don't run them out there with out something that can pounce on their attackers. Even if you do lose the pathfinders, and their lights (I guess I really don't care about the men as much as the lights), you still are able to exact a nice price in vengence.

Most of the time, my pathfinders are in cover, in the middle of my lines, sighting down any enemy that gets close to the army. If they need to fall back, they can be covered by other units.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 22:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

... it was nicely written, but do u have the newest codex? it looks like this

the reason i ask is there are a lot of errors with that, for one plasma dont get hot for tau... and if they do get hot, u just take a wound, you dont loose anything. also as mentioned, seekers just shoot, no blast template, no scatter, thats it. agenst marines try TL plasma suits, they work great, expecally vs. termies and blood angels. also try a group of TL missle pod suits, they work really well agenst everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote