Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

"Stay Back!!! I've got a gun and thats all I know how to use!!"
Old 19 Sep 2008, 15:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default "Stay Back!!! I've got a gun and thats all I know how to use!!"

So I played my first game with my Tau last night, and my 2nd ever WH40k game. My friend and I just got into the game (he's Black Templar). One thing I noticed, when trying to keep my fire warriors out of range of a potential next round move+ assault by his Templar, I wasn't really able to use my rapid fire ... hardly ever. Also I found that using the same strategy with my suites (XV8) really didn't work either (FB+PC+MT).. I needed to get them much closer to his dreadnaughts to use the FB...

Also 3 more lessons, 1, if you're going to deep strike a stealth squad... they are not to be placed any where near a dreadnaught... because he will cc them, and all they will do is tie the dnaught up from doing anything else during the game... and the suites will get pummeled... badly.. cause the naught will use the markerlight drone to beat down your suites with..

2, Do deep strike the XV8's closer though... so they can shooty the naughts.

3, Don't roll 1's when shooting the rail heads, or seeker missles. Ever!

But he learned a couple good lessons, as well.

1. Don't deep strike your terminator squads near the edge of the table.. Because they may be more interested in the game on the table next door, and decide to land in that battle rather than the one they are supposed to.. (rolled a 1 on mishap table).

2. Dont mess with the tau! (Won annihilation 3pts to 1)!

Woo hoo! ;D

Randoramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 15:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: "Stay Back!!! I've got a gun and thats all I know how to use!!"

Nice to see that you've enjoyed your first game, and welcome to the forums!

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 15:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Personally, I love Space Marine players.

Took my typical list against a Space Wolves player. He strangely brought nothing but a horde of marines. I guess his plan was to pretend to be IG and rush over to my lines.

Out of the 1.5K of marines, not one was left standing by round three. Out of my Tau, I had to replace two shield drones and a Markerlight. Quartermaster laughed at me and said that I didn't need replacements. Very embarrassing.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 15:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

A good idea would've been to draw the cc squads closer with your FireWarriors (& obviously staying out of combat with them), & then as they come out from cover direct as much effective fire at them as possible (with Tau you really learn the use of concentrated fire).

As for your suits & the Dreadnought, it can be worth it just to take the risk & get within 12" of it (even 6" if you can), chances are that you would've either stopped it moving to assault you, destroyed it, or wiped out it's CC weapons.

Now that's over, welcome to the forums!

[size=6pt]Looking at the title, what would a Tau do if they ran out of ammo?[/size]
Old 19 Sep 2008, 15:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That was what a Helios was made for. Though I'd always prefer to crack it with a railgun first, if possible.

Many things, like assault the squad the Tau just ran out of plasma particles shooting. Trust me, it really works.

Quote:
Quote:
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19 Sep 2008, 15:58   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Grim
A good idea would've been to draw the cc squads closer with your FireWarriors (& obviously staying out of combat with them), & then as they come out from cover direct as much effective fire at them as possible (with Tau you really learn the use of concentrated fire).

As for your suits & the Dreadnought, it can be worth it just to take the risk & get within 12" of it (even 6" if you can), chances are that you would've either stopped it moving to assault you, destroyed it, or wiped out it's CC weapons.

Now that's over, welcome to the forums!

[size=6pt]Looking at the title, what would a Tau do if they ran out of ammo?[/size]
Yeah, definitely. Towards round 3-4, his marines emerged from the jungle to run into a unit of 10 FW's, and a DF with 2 SMS which hadn't moved, + a rail head w 2 SMS's. All shots went to the marines, and he lost half his squad that turn. And I did learn, next time I will DS the XV8's closer to the Dreadnaught.

I'm a little worried when he starts getting vehicles, but I think our games (next is on sat) will make games workshop some cash as he buys more and more models in an attempt to overcome the greater good. :

Then I'll have to buy more... that's how they get ya!
Old 19 Sep 2008, 16:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Don't worry about marine vehicles that much; For AV12 armor and below, Missile Pod; for everything else, there's MasterRail.

DISCLAIMER: Disparity in skill not accounted.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 19 Sep 2008, 16:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Black Templars are ugly customers, that whole 'we pass morale test and then advance 6 inches' thing is horrible.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 17:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Umm..... is that a "We move, we run, we pass a morale test and move 6" more", or is that in place of them shooting like the Run?

Suddenly my tactics against Black Templars has taken radical turn toward our awaiting Devilfish.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 18:17   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzin927
Umm..... is that a "We move, we run, we pass a morale test and move 6" more", or is that in place of them shooting like the Run?

Suddenly my tactics against Black Templars has taken radical turn toward our awaiting Devilfish.
From my experience last night it was, (Black Templars) "Hey we just lost Larry Moe and Curly... thats like what (counts fingers) 3 guys! They're still shootin! Lets get em'!" (Rolls D6 = 4) Templars advance 4".
Tau's response...
Run!!!!!