Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight vs Shadowsun
Old 19 Sep 2008, 13:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Farsight vs Shadowsun

Hi folks

I have been playig tau for a short time now, mainly a farsight army as I have a dozen or so crisis suits and no kroots or vespids. I like the fact that a farsight army is more robust (as in self rallying) than a normal empire army, but the heavy limits on them are getting on my nerves.

I have shadowsun just gathering dust and was wondering which army is really better, which commander is overall the best choice. I'm sure there are pro's and con's for each, but given their high cost vs 75pts for a simple HQ XV84 say, why take either?

Cheers!
Old 19 Sep 2008, 14:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu
Default Re: Farsight vs Shadowsun

well farsight is generally the most popular character... the only one that comes close is r'ymr... shadow sun is not offensive like farsight. she's a support character mixing her with an ethereal and your tau will be harder to shift than even marines! of course makin your own means you can tailor it to what you want. creat your own fluff about him. and he can be cheaper(or more expensive LOL!!)
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2008, 15:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Indeed the only really worthwhile Tau special character in all situations with no real drawback I can think of, is Commander O'Rmyr. He is one tooled up XV8 commander, but due to his coming from Forgeworld isn't tournament legal (most of the time).

That leaves us with Farsight and Shadowsun.

Farsight is geared towards CQC, suitspam and mobility, but as you said, his limits can be frustrating. For me, its not so much the loss of Kroot but rather the maximum number of railguns I can bring. Other than that, I love him wholeheartedly; I just prefer the theme he brings to my cadre as to the abundant resources of the mainstream forces.

Shadowsun is orthodox-Tau in combat, and from her stats and load-out is geared towards more static lists. As mentioned, her place is in a Shooty Tau Empire Army From Hell (STEAFH); run her with an Ethereal and your lines will never move! But in 5th ed, even with the new consolidation rules, gunline Tau will have trouble blasting all the fast assaulters every other army seems to have (even Tau, since Farsight & guard has an additional 6" move in Assault!) before they get into base contact. You can use her as an awesome tankhunter, but that would not be maximizing her command drones or her stealthsuit.

That said, I don't run her because I hate her model. If she was like how Gareth modeled, now that would be tempting. :P

So the bottomline is, it really depends on what rocks your boat. Each commander is maximized in different manners, and so will the lists that bring them, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try something unorthodox.

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2008, 05:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Personally I'm not too crazy about Shadowsun. I think Farsight is ok but he limits your heavy supports quite a bit for a Tau Army and having a strong heavy support base is a really solid way to run a Tau army. I do like him though because he's a great way to throw your opponent off balance. Your opponent will usually expect your Tau to sit back and shoot. It really throws them for a loop when you're deep striking all over their battle line and all up in their face. It's even more surprising when you're assaulting them. So Farsight has some nice bonuses.

On the other hand I haven't really used Shadowsun but for her points she doesn't offer enough destructive power for my liking. I mean at least far sight can take a huge crisis suit bodyguard that is capable of levelling a fair amount of destruction even before they swarm into assault.

Anyway, pick whichever one you feel is your style. As far as special characters go I'll take Farsight, but usually I just take my own crisis suit commander.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2008, 08:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I prefer Shadowsun because I like kroot too much to give them up. I don't end up using her very often, though. The combination of 12" range guns and a stealth field is just too hard to use optimally. I can see, more or less, how she's supposed to be used: stand in the middle of the gunline and keep them from running, but charge up and pop the land-raider when it gets too close. Unfortunately, nobody will bring a juicy enough target close enough without sending an assault screen out first. Still, Shadowsun has saved my butt a couple of times in Apocalypse.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2008, 18:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Something that I find funny about both characters is that if you were to actually put them up against one another they both have weapons that cause instant death to the other. So it's like, whoever gets the first shot through the others invulnerable save wins. But it's not often that you'll see 2 Tau players playing against each other and using special characters. I'd like to see that though.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2008, 19:04   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I too have used farsight a farsight more than shadowsun, but I am hoping to broaden my playing style and be able to throw my opponent off balance by taking one or the other is a nice touch. So far a XV84 in my (limited) experience more than makes its points back.

I may try a few lists out using both and track their results....

Cheers
Old 20 Sep 2008, 19:24   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Neither one of them is very good. Remembering Aun'va as well, none of the Tau Special Characters have ever been particularly impressive, and less so in 4th than in 3rd.

Farsight lets you cram in a few more Battlesuits than normal, so he is nice if you are running a suit army. As Jedibean stated, having him opens up a different style of play. Aside from that, there isn't much reason to take him unless you like the background. Same thing with Shadowsun. Aun'va is a painting project.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2008, 22:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Something that I find funny about both characters is that if you were to actually put them up against one another they both have weapons that cause instant death to the other. So it's like, whoever gets the first shot through the others invulnerable save wins. But it's not often that you'll see 2 Tau players playing against each other and using special characters. I'd like to see that though.
I tried it once, but I don't think we ever got a direct "Clash of the Special Characters" going. The Farsight player was actually pretty new to tau and didn't have enough models to do it right. I (Shadowsun side) actually had more crisis suits on the field than he did!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2008, 22:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

I do not like fusion blasters and then needing the command link drone. However I wish the command link drone could be taken as specail issue even if it is limited to shas'o. The problem with both special characters is their cost too. I mean Its not like a cheap fireknife, helios or centurion el so it takes away from the rest of your army. I also tend to stay away from hqs that cost more than 130 points for most armies unless I am taking a devil flyrant.