Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

piranha + flechette
Old 16 Sep 2008, 02:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default piranha + flechette

well i recently got this idea brewing in my head, since flechet says you roll for each atacking model, wouldn't a squadron of piranahs get x rolls for x flechet counts >
GarethXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 02:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: pirana + flechet

yes i belive so, but be sure to have something else ready to shoot up the survivors.
chase the hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 02:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethXL
well i recently got this idea brewing in my head, since flechet says you roll for each atacking model, wouldn't a squadron of piranahs get x rolls for x flechet counts >
Neat idea, but I would have to say no. You get to roll flechette for each model attacking that specific model. This would be important if not all the vehicles in the squad have the flechette launchers, assuming that's legal (codex is not handy, and I don't use piranhas). I suppose if an attacker is in base contact with two of the piranhas in the squadron you could argue that he takes 2 rolls for flechette, but in every other case I think each attacking model is only swing at 1 vehicle and only taking 1 flechette roll.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 10:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Knightperson is correct.
You'd treat every vehicle individually for its fletchette discharger.
As you can not lock into combat with a vehicle, you wouldn't be able to engage two at once, so a model only is rolled against if it attacks a vehicle. This is supported by RAW
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 16:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korill
Knightperson is correct.
You'd treat every vehicle individually for its fletchette discharger.
As you can not lock into combat with a vehicle, you wouldn't be able to engage two at once, so a model only is rolled against if it attacks a vehicle. This is supported by RAW
I remember fairly recently that this discussion came up... and I didn't see anything resembling your surity.

The problem comes with how the Flechette Discharger is worded in the codex (potentially wounding any model that attacks the vehicle) and how vehicle squadrons work in assault (assaulting models attack the squadron, not any specific vehicle, even if they happen to be in base-to-base contact with one or the other).

The fact is that if ANY vehicle in a squadron is engaged on melee combat, ALL vehicles in a squadron are engaged in melee combat - even if only a single vehicle is in Base-to-base contact, every single vehicle is quite capable of being glanced or penetrated.

It's vague, so ultimately you have to find the interpretation that makes the most sense to you - no one interpretation of rules is uncontradicted by one rule or another.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 07:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: piranka + flechette

I haven't seen the new rules, but I was just saying what made sense to me from the old rules.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2008, 14:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: piranha + flechette

Each vehicle attacked would fire off the flechette dischargers. So a team of 5 would wound a model 5 times. The reason is that its all 5 vehicles being attacked, so each set would go off.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 14:12   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Look at it along the lines that, as a vehicle squadron, all are eligable to be hit and damaged, therefore all are eligable to fire off their fletchettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2008, 04:04   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well the reason that i think it will work is because of the wording in both BOB and the codex, in bob under asulting squadrons it says that squadrons are atack as a whole and in the codex it stats that flechet trigers for each atacking model QED each flechet trigers for x number of asulting models
GarethXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2008, 04:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Well, IF you play that every piranha's FD goes off if any of the piranhas get attacked AND your opponent agrees to such a rule (instead of a compromise, like, say, once per assault), then rest assured that no Piranha squadron with FD will ever be assaulted - instead, they'll get the crap shot out of 'em. ;D