Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marker Drones... Usefull?
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Marker Drones... Usefull?

i am trying to make a battlesuit list, but i would like to have some markerlight support. are marker drones worth the points?
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Shaz Ya Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Marker Drones... Usefull?

Generally speaking no. They are very costly and prevent the attached sqaudron from moving...unless they are XV-25 or XV-8.

I would recommand pathfinder, or take 2 stealth team and give them markerlight instead.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Where I prefer to have the Pathfinders - more markers for less, I like the drone too.

Since you are doing a suit list, adding the drones to the team make it to where you can shoot and scoot. The drone will pick up the jetpack attribute from the suits and be able to move and fire off the light.

(Hmm, having I seen this post before?)

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Marker drones on Stealthsuits are particularly good, because they gain stealth, outflank, and inflitrate as well as the jetpack.

If you do decide to go with Pathfinders, make sure they're behind some sort of cover. Even in that cover is a unit of friendlies. Markerlights don't score wounds, so the enemy can't claim cover saves against them because one of your units is in the way.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

i agree they are to expensive... but i love fielding a pair with stealth team with a marker light. thats the only time they are worth takin in my opinion. troops is pointless and crisis... usefull but not as good as stealth team.... considerin that with the stealth field you cant be seen over 36 inches... jump into range jump out CANT be shot in return =P also good in dawn of war, as it can get 3 markerlights close to the enemy due to infiltration. then up to 3 units can fire as if it weren't night fight hehe!

so in summary only take with stealth team. dont bother with anything else. well possible a suit team that requires high bs... for instance a full helios squad with target locks, or something similar...
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2008, 23:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I fielded two in the 'ard boyz tournament and they did ok, but as a rule they're usually not worth the points.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 02:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The best way to get markerlights is from a pathfinder squad or two. After that, I'd go with the skyray, the stealth team leader, then the sniper drone team, although the spotter's markerlight is usually needed by his own drones. Marker drones tie with infantry markerlights for last.

Since the most common use of a marker drone is a BS increase, it's useful to compare it to a targeting array. A marker drone only hits half the time, so it effectively costs 60 points for a BS increase for the unit. On a full 6-man stealth team or a team with lots of drones, that can be worthwhile, but for anything else it's cheaper to give each suit a targeting array. Of course, the 60 points of marker drone can be hardwired onto one suit rather than taking a hardpoint on each, but it's still too expensive in most cases.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2008, 23:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree with what most of you have said so far - Marker Drones are just too expensive. If you want Markerlights, Pathfinders are your best bet. Especially since you can load your Fire Warriors into their Devilfish. Also, the Pathfinder Devilfish has the special rule that allows you to re-roll the scatter dice on deep strike - quite useful in my opinion, since deep striking can be especially helpful for contesting objectives, or getting your heavy firepower behind enemy armor.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2008, 07:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

thanks guys! ;D you've all been quite helpful
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Shaz Ya Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2008, 08:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Guess what folks. Markerlights on drones are now useful!

Anything with a jetpack counts as Relentless, which means heavy weapons may fire as normal. marker drones are back in the game!