Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Beating the Crons - can it be done?
Old 14 Sep 2008, 02:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Beating the Crons - can it be done?

Well, today was 'Ard Boyz. I'll throw up some Bat-Reps later on, but that's not what this post is about.

A new player at the store, who had maybe played a couple of games before today (with other armies, such as chaos) was loaned a 2500 point Necron army. I played him in the first round, a Seize Ground game with 5 objectives. Through the toil of 4 rounds (mostly explaining rules), my forces were either destroyed or contested, resulting in an end result of 2-to-1 objectives captured.

Even worse, I maybe killed 10 warriors the whole game. I tried focusing fire onto individual squads to knock them all down, but no matter what they kept making unbelievable saves, and of course kept getting back up.

So I have to ask - what is the secret? Can Tau even stop Necrons?
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 02:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Beating the Crons - can it be done?

Put Helios suits on the less powerful ones, and Railgun the Lords as soon as you can. Instant death and power weapons are your friends against 'Crons. With Tau, you're reduced to instant death, so make the most of your heavy hitters. Also, if you wipe out a squad, it won't get WBB unless there's a Lord nearby, so massed fire can work.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 03:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Tau naturally has a disadvantage to the Crons because of the lack of the ability to mass high S attacks from far to comfortably wipe out a Cron unit in a go. We hit them with railguns, and only 1 goes down; or we hit them with pulse and maybe half goes down and many come back up.

You are going to have to close with them. Dump helios and burning eyes, and focus fire. Keep your warriors mobile and running, and focus on objective denial rather than capturing early game. A railplate does work rather well on cron warriors so don't ignore that. Use TLRGs on the Lord if you brought them; massed railguns are your friend against a cron list, and especially against a Lol-nolith, therefore I recommend sides.

Most of all, good luck. I've always had trouble fighting crons, and the few wins I have were never easy. :'(

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 03:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Today my list included 3 Broadsides and a Railhead. Here's some of the primary problems I've encountered with Necrons, which make it difficult to utilize these tips.

One, my opponent tends to keep units of Necrons within 6" of eachother, thus ensuring that if a squad is knocked down, it still rolls to get back up.

Secondly, the Lords often join squads of Warriors or Immortals, and of course they always bring the rez orb. My instant death dealing firepower is effectively neutralized, and my ability to single out and destroy the lord is nullified.

Are there any strategies that one can utilize to try to divide & conquer the crons?
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 04:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

With Necrons, speed is your friend. I dont know what you have, but if you have suits, devilfish, hammerhead, pirahna etc, use them. Kill his fast units, Destroyers, Heavy Destroyers and Wraiths, which because their fast means they will most likely move away from the Res Orb, so railguns will be good for this. Once his fast movers are gone, move around the table with your 12' against his 6' and if done right, you can avoid casualities while inflicting them upon the Necrons. Although, in a Capture and Control this would only work for alittle while, it would be best for Annihilation.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 04:48   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Auroth Send a message via MSN to Auroth

The best strategy would to be just focus all your fire power on a single squad. Slow and steady wins the race, and instead of spreading around fire to only take 1 or 3 models from each unit, it is better to focus fire so that one squad, the one which poses the most threat, is severly weakened.... Allowing you time to focus on other targets.

A static line works best against the necrons, since they're quite slow and you'll have plenty of time to reduce their numbers.

Also, Tip #1: The Kroot are great at killing weakened Necron squads. If you popped a squad of them with fire warriors and some burning eyes, the Kroot can do a great job at cleaning up. If you run a squad of 10 or 20 kroot, that'll be 30 or 60 attacks before the Necrons get a chance to strike back! In other words, Kroot can easily pick off weakened necrons coming at you.

Tip #2: If you're playing Necrons, and your opponent knows you're playing Tau, keep a squad of Heatwave of 2 handy. Essentially, scarabs will utterly destroy you. A full squad of scarabs, or even just half of one, can tie up or even kill a squad of fire warriors. I've lost countless squads to them. Also, their ungodly speed a la turbo boosters, with their swam special rule, give them a 2+ cover save as they move 24 inches closer to you. The Heatwaves can easily nullify this cover save with their flamers.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 06:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

The only success I've ever had against necrons was against a player who really isn't all that great. Although I BARELY won. I managed to make him phase out. If I was to play against Necrons that's what I'd focus on. If he's phased out then he cant take objectives. Just focus on killing 1 unit at a time and avoiding the rest. If you can do that and make him phase out then you've got a shot.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 10:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

When in doubt, fall back on Markerlights. As I recall, you can use these to lower an enemy units leadership. Inflict as many Leadership Tests as you can, use the markerlights to lower their leadership and those large squads can run off the board!

I say work inwards. Focus fore on two squads at a time. Focus on the outermost squads at a time with your fire warriors/Crisis Suits. Try and obliterate it. Chances are there's another squad of the same type within 6", so try to inflict a Morale Test on it and use every available Markerlight to lower its Leadership. With luck and a fair wind, it'll run off the table, meaning that the first squad gets no WBB and the second squad is running away!

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 15:13   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Auroth Send a message via MSN to Auroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Broker
When in doubt, fall back on Markerlights. As I recall, you can use these to lower an enemy units leadership. Inflict as many Leadership Tests as you can, use the markerlights to lower their leadership and those large squads can run off the board!
Actually, Markerlights don't lower leadership tests in general.

Rather, they only lower Ld when a unit is being pinned.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 15:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

on of the few armies i would recomend charging kroot. the best way to perminatly put a squad is shoot it charge it sweeping advance it... they can not WBB from sweeping advance. EVER. so the shooting and assult casulties won't come back. unless theres another squad within 6 inches but then the down necrons HAVE to join the nearest squad if they survive... so you do it all again unless you kroot get gaked ta hell :P in theory doing this you can wipe out 2-10 man squads of warriors. helios are a need. if theres scarbs so is an AFP and hammer head pieplates. rail weapons against monoliths. oh sniper drones useful to.

necrons are the only army i always have a trouble facing. bloody destroyers!!!
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote