Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fish of Fury Illegal?
Old 12 Sep 2008, 03:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Auroth Send a message via MSN to Auroth
Default Fish of Fury Illegal?

I was playing a game today, and when I tried to shoot through my Devilfish, for it was a skimmer, with my Deathrains, my opponent objected. He stated that with True LOS, Skimmers no longer count as not blocking LOS.

If this is so, then does that mean FOF is dead?

On that note, if anyone can find the page saying where I can shoot through skimmers, please let me know.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 03:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Fish of Fury Illegal?

really i dont know all the guys ive played have let me do it and i havent had a chance to look at a rulebook, they all sell out so fast when we get them, but if it does then im just going to get a long pipe, paint it to look like a tree and say i can see your model from his head what now bitch
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 03:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Technically he's right. TLOS trumps reason as far as GW is concerned.

Depending on your modelling though, the Devilfish can be highenough to see under, or your suits may be able to see over it.

FoF is usually fire warriors though, they should have no trouble seeing under the 'fish.

The XV8's can use the devilfish as mobile cover, he can't see them so he can't shoot them either. Use the JSJ tactics in this case.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 03:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Alright... umm... where've you been since 5th ed. came out? hehe... ;D

Anyway, Fish of Fury is alive and well. It's just changed. In the section that describes line of sight it says that you can see over or under any models. Also, it says in the section that describes skimmers that they MUST be on a flying base. With true line of sight this means that as long as your models can actually see under the skimmer then they're good to go.

If you use the taller(tallest) flying bases then the Fire Warriors (and most other infantry) can see under the Devilfish just fine. This will grant a cover save to any target that you are firing at because firing under the vehicle will obscure the target unit. Conversely any shooting directed back at you will also grant you the same cover save.

Now your situation is a little different. Using true line of sight a Crisis suit is too tall to shoot under a devilfish. So as it turns out your opponent is right. What you have to do in 5th edition is Jump out from behind the devilfish and then jump back behind it in the assault phase. This doesn't keep your opponent from shooting you. They'll still be able to see your legs under the fish. But it does give you a cover save if you need it.

I hope all this helps.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 13:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I just have to ask, as this puzzles me a bit. Why would the unit being shot at count as obscured? If the flying base of the skimmer is so high that the Firewarriors have a unobstructed view of the unit they are targeting, would not the true-los rules indicate that the targeted unit does not get a cover save?
Nanostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 14:05   #6 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Nanostorm, they get a cover save because anytime you shoot through a unit (including under a skimmer) it grants a cover save to the target.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 14:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This is going to be another one of 5th ed problems. Skimmers.

I can already see people cheating getting creative on this one.

People will have different bases for their skimmers. Some real short and some very tall, depending on their needs.

GW should have left skimmers alone, but they didn't. I looked at my fish and FWs and I can only see the legs, I have couple of FW's kneeling and they are a tough call.

Of course I have custom made bases on them.

Look at my link for the Non breaking bases.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 14:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Nanostorm, they get a cover save because anytime you shoot through a unit (including under a skimmer) it grants a cover save to the target.
Aha, ok thanks
But does that mean that if my models that are elevated (for instance on top of a building) and shoots at an enemy unit below, that enemy unit will get a cover save if there is a vehicle (like a rhino) between them. Even if that vehicle does not actually block los in any way?
Nanostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 14:55   #9 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

That has to be taken on a case by case basis. You need to look at it from the models eye view of the shooting unit to the target unit.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2008, 15:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

ew. So now we can customize all of our flight bases to just enough that a fig can see under them. I am not liking this at all. I wanna go cry to get 4th back. I liked the abstract. TLOS is just such a damn waste of time and nitpicky details, esp. when things like skimmers are involved. Oh well.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote