Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do we cope with the launchers
Closed Thread
Old 09 May 2005, 14:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default How do we cope with the launchers

We are at a horrible disadvantage, and it has a name, missile launcher. It comes with UltraM, ChaosSM and Orks! For 8-10 pts they get a S8 AP3 weapon that instakills our 100pts commanders everytime!!! We need something like it. But before GW realises it we`ll all be old and grey, so...

What to do, you can hide, shower them in fire until there`s none of them left.

Hiding`s no good, we wanna win
you need 3 turns to kill out all launchers

Hopeless, we need snipers or our own launcher(will be posting it soon)

Or am I wrong? 8)

Knowing how to use power is genius

Call me your highness
Old 09 May 2005, 14:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: How do we cope with the launchers

Yes, frankly you are wrong. No offence but we dont need an equivilant because we have so many other shooty weapons. Tau don't have the S8 AP3 slot filled but the S7 AP4 Missile Pods are still capable of raining hell on small enemy missile carriers, as they are Assault2 and quite rangey. If you need to take out something big with missiles, like a shooty Dred, then Broadsides or Hammerheads make quick work. If you suffer from having your commander IKd, then give him a shield genorator, or give him <i>Gun Drones</i> for gods sake. Shots are alocated to drones before other models, so Inv-saving Shield Drones x2 gives a massive survivability boost. Unless I am mistaken, the Ion Cannon is 60"/S7 or S8/AP3/Heavy3 which can outshoot most missiles.
Old 09 May 2005, 14:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuinMyrrath
Tau don't have the S8 AP3 slot filled but the S7 AP4 Missile Pods are still capable of raining hell on small enemy missile carriers, as they are Assault2 and quite rangey.*

If you need to take out something big with missiles, like a shooty Dred, then Broadsides or Hammerheads make quick work.*

If you suffer from having your commander IKd, then give him a shield genorator, or give him <i>Gun Drones</i> for gods sake.* Shots are alocated to drones before other models, so Inv-saving Shield Drones x2 gives a massive survivability boost.*

Unless I am mistaken, the Ion Cannon is 60"/S7 or S8/AP3/Heavy3 which can outshoot most missiles.
In order:
-Ap4 does not cut it as a 3+ save has 66.666667% chance of succes, and the probabilty of killing a marine like this 15% x 2, and thats just a single one. this is assuming the use of a shas`ui crisis, which is probable
-Max number of railguns is 9, costing at AN ABSOLUTE MINUMUM of 630pts, max nr of Ion cannons is 3 at a cost of about 390pts, while the ion cannon is much less versatile. a small 1 laucnher carrying unit of marines costs 80pts.
-drones die from non-launcher fire, 4+ save is very much fallible, even with S4 Ap 5 weapons, after those one shot usually pops the Hq
-Ion cannon is S7, so no instakills. (useful for Termies and obliterators). Only our HH can carry an Ion cannon, while even the lowliest of marine units can wield a missile launcher

PS, don't forget the missile launcher fires frag as well

Call me your highness
Old 09 May 2005, 15:17   #4 (permalink)
UXO
Shas'La

Seems to me Tau do fine againt marine as they are now. I like how the tau aren't the marines. So Tau doesn't get s8 ap3 missiles (they do have seeker missiles tho) but then marines don't get skimmers, their plamas heat up, they have jump packs not jet packs, their lascannon is s9 not 10. I have had nothing but success with an IonHead. 3 S7 AP3 shots at Bowskill 4, nothing weak about that.
Old 09 May 2005, 16:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuinMyrrath
Yes, frankly you are wrong.* No offence but we dont need an equivilant because we have so many* other shooty weapons. Tau don't have the S8 AP3 slot filled but the S7 AP4 Missile Pods are still capable of raining hell on small enemy missile carriers, as they are Assault2 and quite rangey.* If you need to take out something big with missiles, like a shooty Dred, then Broadsides or Hammerheads make quick work.* If you suffer from having your commander IKd, then give him a shield genorator, or give him <i>Gun Drones</i> for gods sake.* Shots are alocated to drones before other models, so Inv-saving Shield Drones x2 gives a massive survivability boost.* Unless I am mistaken, the Ion Cannon is 60"/S7 or S8/AP3/Heavy3 which can outshoot most missiles.
Well the drone thing was good before they came out with the Tau FAQ since the drones now suffer the majority toughness/majority save if/when in a squad. So a commander('El or 'o) with 2 shield drones the lascannon/missile launcher/any str 8 weap hits the commander first not the drones since the commander is the majority with 3/4 wounds compared to 2 unfortunately.

I agree that we need a strength 8 weapon for help yes we have a bunch of str 7 weapons but that doesn't cut it verses necrons/marines T4 armies.
[color=Green] How Abbadon got his hax.
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I wish my grass was emo... then it would cut itself.
Old 09 May 2005, 16:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

... and for 10 points, we can get a S8 AP3 weapon that hits on a 2+

There are definately ways to beat missile launchers. You just have to be smart about it.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 09 May 2005, 17:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Why not hide your 100 point commander as he is an IC he cant be shot at. :
Old 09 May 2005, 17:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
... and for 10 points, we can get a S8 AP3 weapon that hits on a 2+

There are definately ways to beat missile launchers. You just have to be smart about it.
Lets see Firewarrior+Shas'ui+markerlight+seeker missle+devilfish= 140? or so points but i know what you mean.
[color=Green] How Abbadon got his hax.
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I wish my grass was emo... then it would cut itself.
Old 09 May 2005, 17:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

We don't need a necessarily S8 AP3 weapon, just one similar to the missile launcher. One with S8, or AP3 if we want to keep our identity. The really good weapons Tau has are just not accesible to the main force.

Many other species get such a weapon, but Tau gets left behind. Main problem is the AP3. 8)

Could someone rephrase what was said about the drone majority rules? I don't quite get it now.

Call me your highness
Old 09 May 2005, 18:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The majority rules still confuse me ??? It blows...

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Closed Thread