Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Feel No Pain Fast Assaulters
Old 09 Sep 2008, 05:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Feel No Pain Fast Assaulters

Fast assaulters with feel no pain have got to be the worst thing Tau can face. I have faced two varieties of these units, Ork Nob bikers with Mad Dok, and a version of Assault marines that seem to innately have the ability.

In both cases, its a 14-16 wound unit with 3+ saves, feel no pain, and either Toughness 4 or 5. Anything they assault they destroy. They are capable of making it into my deployment zone on turn 2, and the amount of firepower they can absorb is unreal. The assault marine version managed to survive an entire round of my entire army firing into them, including two 12 strong firewarriors rapid firing with markerlight support to make them BS5.

Not only are these squads incredibly destructive, but they absorb fire that could be directed elsewhere. Usually the armies they show up in have multiple fast assault and flanking elements. The orks for instance field the nob biker mad dok combo with nothing but boyz in trucks and snakerot coming in from the rear. Either I focus fire and the feel no pain unit and the rest of the army destroys me, or I ignore the feel no pain unit a lose on squad/vehicle a turn to it as it systematically wipes my army.

What is a Tau player supposed to do against such montrosities?
Phanixis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2008, 06:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Re: Feel No Pain Fast Assaulters

Units like these are why I field Plasmasides. With the new rules about low-AP weapons ignoring FNP, being able to get 2-3 twin-linked shots per model that all wound on 2-3's AND ignore their secondary saves is a godsend. A unit of three broadsides with TL-plasma, Multi-trackers, a team leader with target lock and bonding, and two shield drones costs a cool 300 points, and can wipe the majority of the aformentioned unit off the board with no assistance needed.

Units of Plasmasides are amazing. A single markerlight nearly quarters the odds of the unit missing, it can switch over between hitting heavy tanks, or popping squadrons/medium transports, and it eats FNP with milk, toast, and a small fruitcup as part of a complete breakfast.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2008, 14:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

my contingency for that kind of thing is to send my unit of 3 FB/PR/Mtrk their way with mklight support - same thing I do for most elite assaulters. Adding railgun fire to the mass would be a good idea too, tho mklight support may be taxed.

plasmas wound on 3 at worst, ignores their feelno pain as well as armor

fusions wound on 2, ignores armor, and feel no pain, instant kills the 2 wounds.

Railguns do the same.

Markerlights reduce their cover.

we, I think, have the best tool among the various armies to deal with this type of threat
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2008, 14:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Death Company (those marines with that innate ability) are assault marines with FNP, Fearless and Furious charge, and rending (but us Tau don't really care about combat tricks like FC, as we are equally screwed in cc anyways). While broadsides are an effective way of taking these guys down, I would be tempted to only fire plasma from your XV8s, the plasma on broadsides also might work, but I don't want to move them CLOSER to the Death Company than I have to, and chances are they are hunting objectives held by you, as in your FW and or Kroot. I few volleys of Tau patented Pulse fire with VX8 support will take out most Death Companies out there (they can get expensive, especially with the jetpacks).
Old 09 Sep 2008, 19:57   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

In the 'ard boyz tourney last year I was having trouble coming up with points out of the stuff I owned. So just to beef the list up to 2500 I put 10 seeker missiles in my army. My first game was against a BA player. Guess where all of those missiles went in the first two turns? Plasma/Fusion is still more points effective, but it was nice to wipe like 6 or 7 of those guys off the board before I even needed to bring the suits to bear.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 02:00   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

"Units of Plasmasides are amazing....it eats Feel No Pain with milk, toast, and a small fruitcup as part of a complete breakfast."

Can I sig this...Please
Old 10 Sep 2008, 04:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I was actually moving away from plasma and just relying on massed fire to down things like terminators, given the 5th edition rule changes and the upcoming terminator stormshields. Massed fire does seem to work well against terminators, usually because terminator squads are smaller and slower.

Looks like I am going to have to put more plasma back in my list. I was avoiding it because of the aforementioned reasons and the cost. Crisis equipped with plasma are among the most expensive suit configurations availible.
Phanixis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2008, 04:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanixis
I was actually moving away from plasma and just relying on massed fire to down things like terminators, given the 5th edition rule changes and the upcoming terminator stormshields. Massed fire does seem to work well against terminators, usually because terminator squads are smaller and slower.

Looks like I am going to have to put more plasma back in my list. I was avoiding it because of the aforementioned reasons and the cost. Crisis equipped with plasma are among the most expensive suit configurations availible.
I just found this post amusing because I use plasma rifles more then any other weapon in the Tau arsenal with the exception of pulse rifles (and even then I sometimes use more plasma rifles then those...).
Old 10 Sep 2008, 14:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

How's the new storm shield going to be different? I did not see this on the lost souls site.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2008, 14:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

The new Storm shields will pretty much be solely found on Assault terminators and ICs for the Space Marien army, and what they're going to do is ad a 3+ invulnerable save to the model against everything. :P

As far as the rest of this post, I have no answer for it... I played against a Blood Angels army and lost miserably to being assaulted by a Death compony and a Chaplain with Jump packs. Of course, this was in 4th Ed when you could make a sweeping advance into another unit... The loss of being able to do that is a BIG advantage ot Tau players now. It gives you the opertunity to adjust and fire on the threatening units and from them eliminating more than one unit a turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote