Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Forgeworld questions
Old 08 Sep 2008, 23:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Forgeworld questions

My order of IA3 came in today, and I think I need to clarify a few things. For one, I wish the Manta carriage rules weren't so vague:

1. How many slots does a Crisis suit and Broadside take on a Manta? It seems to vary depending on whether I take vehicles or not.

2. If I carry less than 4 vehicles, can I take more than the 10/5 stipulated suits/sides?

About the Por caste:

3. Does the Positional Relay allow me to call in 1 aircraft from turn 2 onwards on a 2+?

4. Does subsequent use of the PSR, whether to call in more another aircraft or to deepstrike a suit from reserve, prevent the Second Strike run of a previously deployed aircraft? I don't think so since its not mentioned to be coming from reserve, but just checking to be sure.

5. Even in Apocalypse, the most reliable source of railguns are still those on the ground and not in the air? Was considering how many Tigersharks to field beside a Manta.

6. The Barracuda is best used as an anti-MEQ platform?

Cheers everyone. :P

EDIT - Just remembered:

7. Can Farsight count as the XV8 Commander in the Manta Death Blow Cadre formation?

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2008, 02:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Forgeworld questions

Quote:
My order of IA3 came in today, and I think I need to clarify a few things. For one, I wish the Manta carriage rules weren't so vague:

1. How many slots does a Crisis suit and Broadside take on a Manta? It seems to vary depending on whether I take vehicles or not.

2. If I carry less than 4 vehicles, can I take more than the 10/5 stipulated suits/sides?

About the Por caste:

3. Does the Positional Relay allow me to call in 1 aircraft from turn 2 onwards on a 2+?

4. Does subsequent use of the PSR, whether to call in more another aircraft or to deepstrike a suit from reserve, prevent the Second Strike run of a previously deployed aircraft? I don't think so since its not mentioned to be coming from reserve, but just checking to be sure.

5. Even in Apocalypse, the most reliable source of railguns are still those on the ground and not in the air? Was considering how many Tigersharks to field beside a Manta.

6. The Barracuda is best used as an anti-MEQ platform?

Cheers everyone. :P

EDIT - Just remembered:

7. Can Farsight count as the XV8 Commander in the Manta Death Blow Cadre formation?
1. It does vary. The upper deck can't take any suits (aside from XV 15/25). The ideal way to interpret the lower deck capacity is that if you take vehicles, there is only room for the 10 suits (or 5 'sides). If you don't take vehicles in the bay, it is reconfigured to hold 50? suits, the original rack of 10, plus 10 for each vehicle slot sacrificed. IA:A solved this porblem by giving the Manta a lower deck capacity of 140, and having vehicles count as 30 models each (a little unfair when using tetras, but meh).

2. If using IA3 rules, no, If using IA:A rules, yes.

3. Yes. Flyers start in reserve, so the positional relay can be used on them.

4. It doesn't prevent further attack runs, as they always occur on a 2+, regardless of turn.

5. Railcannons/Heavy Railguns are better than railguns, but yes, 'sides/railheads are still are more reliable source of railguns. 2 Tigershark AX-1-0's are more effective than a single manta at any anti-armour/MEQ operation. The Manta is horribly good at anti-geq with all the LB burst cannons.

6. Yes and no. It's more of a jack of all trades, much like an ionhead with a missile pod tbh. Use it as such and it should do well.

7. I don't see why not, as it was clarified in the FAQ that Farsight now does count as a 1+ commander.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2008, 02:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, the Imperial Armor flier rules kind of suck, honestly. Fliers do better in Apocalypse. Anyway...

1. I don't have my IA3 handy, but I think Crisis suits were 2 slots and broadsides were 3.

2. If you don't pack the lower deck with vehicles, then yes you can put suits in it.

3. yes. it's 1 reserve unit, which can be a flier.

4. Only if the flier disengages, I think. Otherwise it can keep making passes.

5. Can't say, as I've never seen a tigershark in action.

6. Buy a target lock for it and treat it like you would an ionhead. Without the target lock (like the Apocalypse version, grrrrrr) it's hard to find a good target for all 3 of its weapons. Daemons, maybe?

7. No idea the official ruling, but I would say yes. As of 5th edition Farsight counts as the mandatory crisis HQ, so why not?
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2008, 10:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So using IAA rules, crisis take 2 slots and Broadsides take 3?

In order to work, the entire cadre has to be deployed from the Manta. Darn; I thought I could to make my entire force Fearless. :P

Once again, cheers guys!

Quote:
Quote:
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09 Sep 2008, 23:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
So using IAA rules, crisis take 2 slots and Broadsides take 3?
Actually, by IA:A, Crisis count as 2 and Broadsides count as 2.
Jump Infantry count as 2, and any infantry on 40mm or larger base also count as 2. 8)

Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Old 12 Sep 2008, 12:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Now that's what I love to hear! ;D Can I fit Sniper drone teams on the top compartment? They are Infantry on a small base after all. And IA3 says Stealths can fit up there, dunno if this is true for IAA.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12 Sep 2008, 12:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Now that's what I love to hear! ;D Can I fit Sniper drone teams on the top compartment? They are Infantry on a small base after all.
Yes.
By either ruling (IA3/IA:A) you can, as SD's are either Fire Warriors (Includes: Drones, PF, Kroot, Stealthsuits) or Infantry on a base smaller than 40mm.

–tvtropes.org
Old 23 Sep 2008, 01:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Pardon the resurrection; it's a Forgeworld question after all.

Do Heavy Gun Drones have a big infantry base, or do they otherwise count as occupying 1 slot? Don't wanna order them then realize that I've run out of space in the cargo bay. :P

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 23 Sep 2008, 02:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:

Do Heavy Gun Drones have a big infantry base, or do they otherwise count as occupying 1 slot? Don't wanna order them then realize that I've run out of space in the cargo bay. :P
looks like a normal flying base here

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2008, 02:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:

HGD's are jump infantry (jet pack).
So thus, they do take up 2 slots in your cargo bay.

–tvtropes.org