Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tau in combat
Old 08 Sep 2008, 20:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to shasel sonic
Default tau in combat

iv played a couple of games with my tau now first few turns going fine then turn 3-4 the same thing happans they get to me in combat and then i just die and fast i was wondering if any one could give me some advice on what to do when the enemy gets to me in combat or any units worth recomending to take as backup (my kroot just dont seem to be able to do the job for some reason =( ) thanks for any help given
shasel sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 20:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: tau in combat

Of course kroot don't work, contrary to popular belief they aren't good in CC

The best plan is to use the time the unit is in combat to bring as many guns as reasonably possible into range, ready for when your unit is finished off
Old 08 Sep 2008, 20:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm wondering what your army list is, but I would suggest you buy a few devilfish for your fire warriors to allow them to redeploy quickly, and avoid combat. As for back up Tau don't have any assault units so I would just suggest get the hell out of dodge then gun down the guys after they slaugter through your mushy guys.

Welcome to the forum!
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 21:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Farsight is ok bad in CC.

I also use my Devilfish to shield my fire warriors.

I do find I make most of my kills with my Jump suits with JSJ (jump shoot jump) and I take minimum troop choices. However with 5th Edition that may have to change but not played Tau in 5th yet.
I will use this list

1499 pts

HQ- Farsight - 170pts

HQ- Bodyguard x2 - 184pts
Both have
Fusion Blasters, Plasma Rifles, Shield Generators and Hard Wired Multi-Trackers

Troops 1 - 220pts
11 Fire Warriors
Pulse Rifles, Shas'ui with Marker Light
Devil Fish

Troops 2 - 220pts
11 Fire Warriors
Pulse Rifles, Shas'ui with Marker Light
Devil Fish

Elites 1 - 124pts
2 Crisis Suits
Both Have
Plama Rifles, Fusion Blasters and Multi Tracker

Elites 2 - 124pts
2 Crisis Suits
Both Have
Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods and Multi Tracker

Elites 3 - 132pts
3 Stealth Suits
1 Shas'vre with Fusion Blaster, Drone Controller and Marker Drone
2 with Burst Cannons

Heavy 1 - 80pts
Sniper Drone Team

Heavy 2 - 265pts
3 Broadsides
They have
Railguns, Smart Missile Systems and Multi Trackers
1 is a Shas'ure with Drone controller and 2 Shield Drones.

Total is 1499pts

To Bring the above list to 2000 pts I have added

Heavy 3 - 170pts
Hammerhead
Railgun and Burst Cannons, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers and Disruption pods

HQ Body Guard - 184pts
2 extra suits
Both have
Missile Pods, Plasma Rifles, Shield Generators and Hard Wired Multi-Trackers

1 more Fire Warrior per team - 20pts

Both the Crisis Elite Teams have 3 suits instead of 2 - 124pts

Actual Total 1997

As you can see I love suits and they are the work horse of my armys and with the right terrain are just awesome.

The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you?re a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But, two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
Joey Goldcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 22:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I tend to run sets of two devilfish for this reason

DF G1 G1 DF
DF G2 G2 DF
DF F1 F2 DF
DF F1 F2 DF
DF F1 F2 DF

DF = Devilfish
G1 = Gun drones from fish 1
G2 = Gun drones from fish 2
F1 = Fire Warrior Squad 1
F2 = Fire Warrior Squad 2

I deploy the Fire warriors between the two devil fish and then i either take off one set of drones to put in front or two if i plan on being there for a while and then they either have to be able to take out the devilfish or go through two turns of CC with drones to be able to touch my FWs and then i might occasionally run a set of suits behind a DF if my opponent has alot of weapons that would instant death me before i could take them out

Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 22:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Like the above had said, Devilfish and suits would be your friend.

You want mobility to get away from the combat. I played a game were 10 flash gitz butchered their way through about 1,100pts of my Tau because I had only my static portions in play (this was 4th, so consolidation into combat helped, but still proves a point). I just could not escape their CC killing power fast enough.

When I have my more mobile units like suits and vehicles though, it can be a diffrent story.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 22:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

and it doesnt even have to be mobility to get away from combat just mobility to keep your valuable units OUT of it
Quote:
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Old 08 Sep 2008, 23:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Actually, if you do the math, you might be surprised at how Tau do in cc. The low WS isn't all that bad, you only need a 4+ to hit many units, and the armour is good enough to let you survive for a little while. The main killer is the low I, which let's many enemies get the first hit, but even then you can expect to have survivors if you get assaulted.

Off topic, but what's with the weird Shadowsun pics running around lately?
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 23:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yes tau auctually dont suck that bad at CC, but it ties up them from shooting, WHICH DOES SUCK, so its not so much that they die really easy in CC, which they kinda do, its the simple fact that CC = No Shooting, dont start yelling at me because i dont think they dont suck totaly in CC my commander survived for 4 turns in CC with the emperors champion, until a dread showed up on the last turn...
Quote:
Old 09 Sep 2008, 01:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoruin
yes tau auctually dont suck that bad at CC, but it ties up them from shooting, WHICH DOES SUCK, so its not so much that they die really easy in CC, which they kinda do, its the simple fact that CC = No Shooting, dont start yelling at me because i dont think they dont suck totaly in CC my commander survived for 4 turns in CC with the emperors champion, until a dread showed up on the last turn...
No, I agree. Tau are not total losers in CC. Just the shooting.

Another thing I would recomend for you is no photon grenades. So that if they do get assaulted, they (hopefully) will die and you can get to the shooting.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote