Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Tau vs Grey Knights 500pts
Old 07 Sep 2008, 17:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default [BatRep] Tau vs Grey Knights 500pts

OK this was my first proper battle with 5th edition and we weren't too strict about some of the rules but here we go.

we had 2 battles, 1 had a single central objective and the other was all out annihilation.

my list was:
shas'el with t-l plasma rifles, targeting array, blacksun filter
3 monat xv8s all with flamer, fusion blaster and blacksun filter
2x 12 fire warriors inc. shas'ui

his list was:
grand master that had a psycannon
5 grey knights (one was justicar)
callidus assassin (yes I know he only has 1 troops choice)

the first battle was interesting, I sent 1 battlesuit straight for the objective to stop him getting it whilst my other troops tried to take out his people.
when his callidus appeared he slew my shas'el and 1 of my xv8s killed a grey knight with is flamer. at the end of 5 turns we rolled to end the battle and I had; 1 shas'ui fire warrior and 2 XV8s, (1 on the objective) making the game a tie even though he only lost 1 guy

the second battle was better for me as the dice-gods answered my prayer.
in the first turn he moved his grey knights into the building in the centre and each of my fw teams could see 1 through the windows and they subsequently killed those 2.
i killed a third later on with my shas'el and the other two (who killed my shas'el) were gunned down by my xv8 and fws
on turn 4 his callidus arrived and took out quite a few firewarriors who had been falling back but they escaped combat and killed her.

all that was left was his grand master who was at the far end of the map and worth 240pts (more than what I had left).
the XV8s went for him but the closest one was the decider.

At 12" he rolled a 4 to hit and a 6 to wound granting instant death to the grand master with a fusion blaster

he can't say Tau are useless anymore.

Old 07 Sep 2008, 17:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: [BatRep] Tau vs Grey Knights 500pts

Some advice: In low-point games tau should be the dominant army. Two sets of 12 firewarriors are not what you want to bring against anything except a horde army. Bring as many crisis suits as possible. I mean, they're very durable, very mobile, and very powerful for their point values, so if you've got 5 or 6 in a 500 point game, you've pretty much got it in the bag.

Also;

The flamers are really a waste of points against MEQs. There's no point in twin-linking a plasma rifle when you're bs is 5. Hack on a fusion blaster and the three shots from close range will waste MEQs.

(btw, my roommate plays gray knights, and we do 500pt games regularly---fire knife and helios crisis suits always dominate)
Old 07 Sep 2008, 17:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh 1 thing I forgot to mention, one of my crisis suits broke and i used another to stand it up whilst reglueing so instead i used a couple of objective markers to count as them on the table

I killed a grand master with an objective marker, that was an interesting game, really interesting
Old 07 Sep 2008, 20:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Actually it depends for the fire warriors. Crisis suits are not that durable against things like meltaguns. They are not really as durable for the points. They are mobile true and put out firepower. Do not underestimate firewarriors. I usually play around 750-900 and I always use at least 23 firewarriors in devilfish and in 800 or more I also add in 11 kroot. Sigh crisis suits break way to much.
Old 07 Sep 2008, 23:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Wu
Actually it depends for the fire warriors. Crisis suits are not that durable against things like meltaguns. They are not really as durable for the points. They are mobile true and put out firepower. Do not underestimate firewarriors. I usually play around 750-900 and I always use at least 23 firewarriors in devilfish and in 800 or more I also add in 11 kroot. Sigh crisis suits break way to much.
This mobility is another thing that makes them so durable. Shot denial is amazing, and tau are amazing at denying shots---crisis suits and stealth suits especially. Also---if your opponent manages to get within 12" of you to fire his melta guns, you've done something wrong. JSJ and 12" movement + light vehicle firepower is always worth the points imo.

Also, when comparing the durability of fire warriors and crisis suits, keep leadership checks in mind. If you lose 3 out of 12 firewarriors, they have a 1/3 chance of failing the ensuing morale test. If they're next to the edge, they're all gone, and if they don't have a bonding knife they're going to keep running.

Admittedly, against IG, Tyranids, Orks, other tau, Eldar, and Dark Eldar they're worth it, but against Daemonhunters?
Old 08 Sep 2008, 01:06   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

my 500 point list is 2 squads of 12 Fire Warriors, Mounted, with a Crisis Commander ('El w/ CIB, BC, TA, HWMT)

It works quite well against everything I've gone up against so far. And I always have at least 2 squads of Fire Warriors in any army I use, sometimes I even go up to 3 or 4.

Good games from the sound of them though. Good luck, and I hope you have games like the second one repeatedly, for the Greater Good!