Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

flechet and walkers
Old 07 Sep 2008, 03:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default flechet and walkers

anyway as the title sugest what would hapen if a walker assults a fleceted vehicle?
GarethXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 03:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: flechet and walkers

same thing as anything else i believe *grabs codex*
" ANY MODEL attacking the vehicle in close combat will be wounded on a D6 roll of 4+ with Saves allowed before resolving conflicts"
so i would say you roll a D6 if its a 4+ he gets to roll a save and if he fails bye bye walker
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 03:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Though does that mean that things that have wounds are the only thing applicable to this case? because what are the flechets doing, arent they supposed to be sharp projectiles?

and arent walkers always hit from the front now? so str 4 being impossible to destroy a walker?

Though I am open.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 03:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Eldar walkers are AV 10 all around IIRC, and I would say...
it's not applicable because Walkers cannot receive wounds because they do not have any wounds; they only take glancing/penetrating hits.

In other words, Flechettes can wound a MC because it has X in the Wound slot, but a walker lacks the W slot and as such, it can not be given a wound.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 03:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

true i must admit i am probably wrong on this one, and pepsi its not str 4 it simply wounds on a 4+
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 03:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

sorry I forgot there were more armies then marines :P

Havent played a game for a good while now.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 10:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've always played it that Flechettes kills walkers on a +4.

A shrapnel blast would have to be equivalent to a frag grenade in a grenade launcher, because technically that's what a fragmentation grenade does; it fragments.

Flechettes are something completely different, they are a small dart. In this case I would assume that little ball turret at the front of the devilfish chassis is the launcher, and can pan 120 degrees or so. Because it is skimmer the vehicle is probally a good meter and a half above the ground anyhow, putting this small turret in the perfect position to shoot both men and jam walker ankle or knee joins. If we assume that they are high velocity mini raildarts as can be fired by a coilgun (mini version of a railgun that can be completely automatic without the need for a reloading system and preshot charge buildup) that cycles pulses of magnetic field to actually project the projectile, then nothing is stopping those darts from being micromolecular in the same way Eldar stuff is. If that's enough to lacerate metal it's enough to lacerate flesh. Furthermore a wad of those shot into a joint of a walker could be enough to bring it down in mid step.

This assumes two things: Tau understand the principles of coilguns (most probable) they have access to the production of tenths of nanoscale materail production (again most probable).

However it is technically a very convoluted system to put on vehicles just for the purpose of avoiding assaults, and then why isn't it a 'weapon option' in the same way a Warp Spyer can attack, because we are basically talking a very similar system (range on these weapons would be reduced by the fact that nanoscale materials at velocity breakup quickly as they interact with gas molecules in an atmosphere).

I dunno, GW did a bad wording job again and gave us some more stupid things to debate as to what a 'Flechette' is...as by definition this weapon should have different stats going by other weapons of a similar type. It could be a drone controlled weapon only thus not counting to the weapons on the vehicle (kind of supporting the +4 rolls), but it shouldn't have 'infinitive number' on those attacking, unless GW assumes that the vehicle is in motion and is sufficiently high in it's ROF that it does act like a template under the vehicle as it passes enemy troops...

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 20:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Right now they currently do not. I think they will be at least capable of doing glancing hits. Maybe ti should be basically glance on a 4 or 5 and then pen on a 6 that would work out. This kind of makes sense for some things. Also it would not be over powered like automatically kills walker on a 4 . I think this would be fairly balanced and would stop the problem of having walkers die too easily. Killing a 100 plus point dreadnought on a 4 with a cheap vehicle upgrade does not seem balanced.
Old 08 Sep 2008, 04:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree with Trafalgar. Flechettes cause a wound, not a hit. Since a walker is a vehicle and can't be wounded, nothing happens.

The other weird thing about it is since there's no strength calculation, the flechettes could theoretically wound something big and nasty like a carnifex, C'tan, or even a gargantuan creature!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 05:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:

The other weird thing about it is since there's no strength calculation, the flechettes could theoretically wound something big and nasty like a carnifex, C'tan, or even a gargantuan creature!
This leads to some interesting ideas.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote