Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau: how to defeat them with use of distractions.
Old 06 Sep 2008, 21:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tau: how to defeat them with use of distractions.

The Tau represent mobility and firepower, the way of annihalating an enemy before he can do the same to you. heres some scenarios in which you can distract the greater good:

f f f f f f f f f f

s s s s s
d d d d d
d d d d d

f= Fire warrior
s= Striking scorpion
d= Dire avenger

The Idea is that the fire warriors will be scared of the fearsome cc unit at 7-12" that they wont notice the DAs at 12-15 they will rapid fire the scorpions killing around 2-3 then the Eldar player wll charge both the ss and then with the DAs they will:
a if in 12" they will move fire and charge
b if at 13+ they will move fleet and (maybe) charge

This works with Space marine scouts and tactical marines (scouts with cc weapons/shotguns) khorne bezerkers and noise marines etc

More later I've got to go soon.

C & C appreciated

are space elfs. Of course their boots never get dirty, their stuff won't get dirty, their weapons won't get dirty, their hair won't get dirty, the aspect warriors won't get dirty, and their women won't get dirty - which is also why they are a dying race. ^-^
Farseer_Del: It was some idiot wandering in and mashing his face into the keyboard by the look of it
()__()
( x x)

dead bunny
shas ek denekai eart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 21:52   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Tau: how to defeat them with use of distractions.

I am not really sure what you mean by "distraction". If you have been able to get a full unit of Striking Scorpions and a full unit of Dire Avengers into a position where only one unit of Fire Warriors can fire on them, distraction isn't something you need to be worrying about.

Dire Avengers being what they are, I wouldn't count on too many players ignoring them to fire at a small unit of Scorpions. Most of us have been on the receiving end of Bladestorm one too many times. With no Target Priority to worry about, they are a softer target and more of a threat to other units nearby. The Scorpions aren't a scoring unit. The Fire Warriors were doomed the moment they were met with up to double their points in Eldar with no support, so their survival is less important than what they can kill first.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 21:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

They are doomed so why not kill a scoring unit. The idea is do not isolate your units. My idea of distraction. Is a juicy unit to charge form a troops units on an objective. I did this on chaos space marines once in a capture and control mission. However my kroot were approaching on the objective from the flank. the chaos moved too far from the objective by charging me then they had to run to get back but my kroot contested the objective.
Old 06 Sep 2008, 22:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i would have had a crisis suit or 2 to help them out... its a good ieat, but you would need to try it out on the table first

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 22:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I feel a large part of the initial groundwork to good strategy is deducing what units that you have available that you think the opposing army should be most afraid of, but also and this is naturally harder, reading your opponent so you know what units they are actually afraid of. These units will always make the best bait because your opponent will be looking to kill them ASAP, allowing you to predict their actions with a greater degree of certainty.

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 08:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It worked on my friend:

he fielded about 3 suits ad 10 FWs on one flank and 10 FWs on the other there was a terrain piece that blocked LoS between his flanks.
I had 5 SS 14 DAs (2 7 man squads) 3 DRs a war walker and a Farseer

f f f f f TTTTTTTTT C C C f f f f f
f f f f f TTTTTTTTT f f f f f

s s s s s F BBBBB WW
BRRRB d d d d d d d
d d d d d d d BBBBB

f= Fire warrior
C= Crisis suit
s= Striking Scorpion
d= Dire Avenger
WW= War walker
F= Farseer
R= Dark reaper
T= terrain
B= Building

They ended up with no support because the crisis suits the dark reapers and the war walkers were bombarding each other and the other FWs were contending with the DAs.

(we played kill the other team not objectives)

That's how it happened by the time my DAs and SS had reached the FW the SS had lost two men and the dire avengers 3 (I fortuned the SS)

So that what happened.

I suppose it needs work but it was how I defeated him twice (we had a rematch ^^)

are space elfs. Of course their boots never get dirty, their stuff won't get dirty, their weapons won't get dirty, their hair won't get dirty, the aspect warriors won't get dirty, and their women won't get dirty - which is also why they are a dying race. ^-^
Farseer_Del: It was some idiot wandering in and mashing his face into the keyboard by the look of it
()__()
( x x)

dead bunny
shas ek denekai eart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 09:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Yeah but your friend either wasn't a very good player judging from that or because the scale of your games are too small.

Eldar/Tau is my most common match up and to be honest, the way you win against Tau is to realize that they're not actually very dakka heavy. What they are good at is denying you victory. A tau army doesn't win by one to two turns of shooting. It wins by a long series of smaller offensive/defensive moves focused on chipping away at your army.

Basically the key is that, as Eldar, you must be prepared to commit to one major offensive that will overwhelm a significant portion of his army. This offensive must be localized, not spread out. It must have sufficient mileage and eliminate most key targets within two turns at most.

To facilitate this, firstly you need to conserve your early game. Don't waste units on a futile long range firefight against Tau unless it's something like Dark Reapers or Rangers. Use terrain to try to stay out of their line of sight and minimize casualties as much as possible.

And then wait for the opportune moment to represent as many threats as possible to the enemy all at once. Do not under any circumstance make a rag tag beeline for the enemy's units. You're trying to present as many targets as possible to as little units as possible (just the ones you're attacking).

And make sure also that you don't put stock in just one unit. It's much better to have three average units than one really good and two weak units.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 13:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well said crazed, I agree, being a tau player myself, that a strong overwhelming push into some of my key units can often win a game for my opponent, though do not under estimate the power of short ranged tau fire power, massed burst cannons will make a mess of almost any unit and pulse riftles are devistating when rapid firing. For this reason do not attack across a extended front, attack so that only certain units can be shot at while others benifit from cover and reduced line of sight.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 13:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

For Eldar, I find an effective attack formation against any static shooty enemy is as follows:

Turboboost jetbike squad as screen.

Followed by Aspect Warriors.

Granted I don't believe certain aspect warriors like Howling Banshees and Fire Dragons have any business being out in the open and being shot at at all, but for newly deepstriking hawks who can't get into combat or warp spiders, the screen of jetbikes will get them a 4+ cover save. Not to mention turboboost jetbikes themselves are hard to budge.

If you ever play against my on Vassal, that's a sure sign to know when my offensive is coming. It'll always be a spearhead towards your biggest guns with a skirmish line of turboboosting jetbikes followed by deepstriking hawks, a flat out moving wave serpent loaded banshees and maybe War Walkers at your flanks.

Actually there's another advice for Eldar players who rely on deepstriking Hawks/Spiders and flanking Walkers/Scorpions. The appropriate time to make your one decisive attack is whenever those things come on the board (hopefully nice and early if you invested in an Autarch). My main attack force is always capable of moving 18". There'll be a window of one turn where the enemy has to deal with jetbikes and wave serpents coming at flat out speed behind terrain, (hopefully) the war walkers coming in from their flanks and the swooping hawks dropping from the skies behind the jetbikes. If I weather that turn of shooting next turn all hell breaks loose.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 20:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

The problem is the tau palyer isolated his units. Which is a problem. The firepower however was not focused. I think it is the tau players deployment that is the problem. If the war walkers were not in charge range of the tau then why did he shoot his crisis suits at them. What weapons did the suits have missiles. You deploy Superior and had Superior cover. A building you could deploy in rather than other things. Also how does he have that few models in any game. Did he spend all of his points on his crisis suits. That is no where near 500 points properly built. I think your list is built a lot better.