Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Does this ever tick you right off?
Old 06 Sep 2008, 06:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Does this ever tick you right off?

I played a 2000 point game vs nids today. An army I am very used to dealing with. But today was a bit different. I had 9 broadsides as I usually do vs his nidzilla army, plus 6 suits, 5 stealth suits, and tons of troops with markerlights. His army was 2 hive tyrants, 3 carnifexs, 3 biovores, 3 lictors, 9 spore barrage, 60 guants, and 3 zoanthroapes. Sounds like a normal nid army right?

Well between all the rounds :

- 2 of my 16 markerlights hit
- all my units broke everytime I had to take a leadership test, luckly I had bonding knives
- out of my 9 broadsides, 2-3 would hit with railguns causing 5 wounds all game (out of 36 shots) vs his monstrous creatures.
- 16 out of 20 shots he made with his big blast template gun would "hit" and wipe out several guys a turn plus some got pinned.
- with his BS3 units (all across the board), he had about 80% accuracy.
- meanwhile when I would roll to hit with my fire warriors they would get on average (and I'm not making this up people) 4 out of 12 hits in with 2 wounding, and maybe one getting through.
- he had without number, which meant the field was always covered, and he took most of the objectives very quickly.
- he made unreal cover saves.
- on the last round right before I give up he fired that big blast from the carnifex which "hit" all three broadsides, wounded, and I rolled three "1s" to save. I just shook his hand, said there is nothing else I can do....
- and to top it all off he was making fun of me for losing so badly.

Now I'm 27, and I understand that this game is based on luck and whatnot, but what am I supposed to do? I feel like selling my Tau. This was humiliating. This wan't even an enjoyable game.
Has anybody ever dealt with this sort of nonsense before? just so you know, I've been playing this game for 15 years on and off, and I've never seen luck like this, and even this attitude. He was acting like some 12 year old. He was 26.

Anybody want to buy some Tau?

I am Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 06:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Does this ever tick you right off?

Ahw come on now, you probably just had a bad day with the dice = mind you your opponent seems to have made it harder for you. Don't quit tau just because of one unlucky game :-\
Old 06 Sep 2008, 06:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Was this the same friend you got so upset with last time?

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 06:41   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I have played that sort of game on both sides. I can't imagine making fun of someone just because the dice betrayed them, though. That is just juvenile. Sympathy seems a little more appropriate.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 07:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I have played that sort of game on both sides. I can't imagine making fun of someone just because the dice betrayed them, though. That is just juvenile. Sympathy seems a little more appropriate.
I'd say the same.
I usually try and find the humour in everything though, usually at my expense.

And hey, we all have days where the dice gods absolutely hate us, but there's not a lot we can do about it. It's also rather un-fun when you manage to steamroll someone due to them just having bad rolls. :-\

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 08:59   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hey I am Legion,don't quite,

I can imagine this type of guy and i suppose he's some kind of immature... and probably a bad loser when in the other side.
So,have a re-match with him,try your best and give him a taste what truly means to clash with the Greater Good!
Old 06 Sep 2008, 09:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Dude it's a game...

You said it yourself, luck of the dice. If I flip a coin ten times and get heads, is it any more likely I'll get a head the next time? No the way chance came out you got whooped. End of.

Don't get stressed, don't get pissed. Just shrug your shoulders. Remember you can always forfit a game that you don't feel like playing (your opponent might plead to carry on and you can if you feel like it, but make it clear that your not actually going to do anything more with the game and they'll get the message; "You won, play again?"

Age of players has nothing to do with a game. Stupidity and immaturity is a constant.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 09:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

Slaughters are never really that fun. When I realize I am getting slaughtered I start attempting the craziest, most hilarious tactics I can think of to try and keep it fun, but really it's just boring for both sides and can create some bad feelings.

Most ridiculous luck I've had was playing Warmachine. I charged a Heavy Jack with a basic trooper first turn, and one hitted it. I somehow rolled 4 6's on the damage roll, 1 in 1296 chance anyone? Now if you don't know what Warmachine is, imagine a 15pt marine one hitting a 130pt uber dreadnaught and you get the picture.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 10:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If anything, my Broadside Boyz have the strangest of luck; all 3 can get one-shotted by a Shootifex pie plate as one of their lowest points, then in another game win a round of combat against a horde of 'nats then score a Sweeping Advance. It ultimately depends on whether a KEQ (Khorne EQuivalent) is smiling for or against you. :P

Don't sweat it; if someone needs to quit the game, its the other guy who was being a ass-****er.

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 13:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

You may have lost the battle, but not the war.

Don't just give up, devise some tactics, draw him in and then unleash the Greater Good on him! Or change the way you use the army on the table.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote