Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Seeker Missiles
View Poll Results: Do you use seeker missiles in your Tau army??
Yes -But not on a SkyRay 17 51.52%
No 8 24.24%
Yes -But only on SkyRay 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05 Sep 2008, 18:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Seeker Missiles

I was curious to see to what extent seeker missiles are used in Tau Cadres without Skyrays . I am considering putting a few onto my vehicles for my next tournament. Please give me your thoughts.
Shas0 K0Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 19:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Seeker Missiles

I don't like them. I think their points inefficient (needing a 4+ then a 2+ vs. hunter killer missiles, it's the need for the markerlights that get me).

Now on a Sky Ray...I would champion a change to it's rules. Maybe do a "instead of shooting the Sky Ray may reload 1d6 missiles that turn. The amount of missiles may never exceed the starting number of 6." sort of thing. (Makes it into a somewhat worse Excorcist, but it seems fluffier to me).

Otherwise the points sink to run seekers compared to imperial hunter-killers is ludicrous.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 19:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I try to run a few seekers here and there scattered in my army, depending on the point spread.

At 500 - 2000, probably no seekers. Maybe a Skyray
2000 - 3000, Seekers on varies vechiles, depending on what I am attacking. Maybe a skyray
3000 - 5000, Full seeker loads on the Piranha units and gunships. Definitely a Skyray.
5000 - 6.5K Full seeker loads for all vechiles.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 20:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I always begin first turn by lauching about 5-8 seekers and try to weaken my enemy a bit before armourmed spearheading, in a 1500 point battle I take 6, in larger battles that number usually increases by 1 for every 250 points or so.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 22:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasUiStavo

Seeker Missiles are effective but, like Slave to the Bell, I don't think they're worth the points. I used to use them when I first started Tau but now I use the points on more worth while gear. Plus, I'd rather just unload a slug of super charged metal(railgun) into my unworthy opponent :P

It's more fun....and easier

Extract from the Necronicon.
ShasUiStavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 00:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Wow, this brings back memories. One of my first posts on this topic was about how much I dont like seekers. If I recall the thread was "Seeker missiles are kind of garbage" or something to that effect. In any case.

Basically I was saying that when you think about it they're krak missile launchers that have a 36" range hit on a 4+/2+ and cost 10 points per shot. It's not an attractive weapon at all when you look at it that way.

The reason I say it's got a 36" range regardless of who disagrees with me is because it can only be fired by marker light hits. This limits them to the range of the marker light which is 36". While the missile it's self has unlimited range and needs no line of sight, the unit carrying the marker light that fires it needs range AND line of sight. The fact that you count the shot as hitting the armor facing from the vehicles point of view and not the marker light firers view helps, but this really doesn't balance it. To really take advantage of this you have to depend on your opponent to make a stupid move or you have to use a suicide piranha. Suicide piranhas aren't reliable enough in my opinion, and relying on the stupidity of your opponent is a little offensive hehe....

Anyway, I dont really like seekers at all. They need something that will make them worthwhile but as it is now they're just embarassingly bad. I remember the first time I came up against an excorcist missile launcher and I had a skyray on the table. When I learned what the excorcist missile launchers did as compared to the skyray I felt like my pants fell down to my ankles. There are some cool things the skyray can do but being a dedicated tank destroyer isn't one of those things.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 00:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Wow, this brings back memories. One of my first posts on this topic was about how much I dont like seekers. If I recall the thread was "Seeker missiles are kind of garbage" or something to that effect. In any case.

Basically I was saying that when you think about it they're krak missile launchers that have a 36" range hit on a 4+/2+ and cost 10 points per shot. It's not an attractive weapon at all when you look at it that way.

The reason I say it's got a 36" range regardless of who disagrees with me is because it can only be fired by marker light hits. This limits them to the range of the marker light which is 36". While the missile it's self has unlimited range and needs no line of sight, the unit carrying the marker light that fires it needs range AND line of sight. The fact that you count the shot as hitting the armor facing from the vehicles point of view and not the marker light firers view helps, but this really doesn't balance it. To really take advantage of this you have to depend on your opponent to make a stupid move or you have to use a suicide piranha. Suicide piranhas aren't reliable enough in my opinion, and relying on the stupidity of your opponent is a little offensive hehe....

Anyway, I dont really like seekers at all. They need something that will make them worthwhile but as it is now they're just embarassingly bad. I remember the first time I came up against an excorcist missile launcher and I had a skyray on the table. When I learned what the excorcist missile launchers did as compared to the skyray I felt like my pants fell down to my ankles. There are some cool things the skyray can do but being a dedicated tank destroyer isn't one of those things.
See if it had the Excorcist ability it'd be awesome. Then the Sky Ray would probably be worth while (every weapons destroyed result putting a cumulative -1 penalty on the Firing, like the Monolith).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 05:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You didn't give a choice for "I put seeker missiles on anything"! Personally, I like the skyray; it's only slightly more expensive than an ionhead, but it carries 2 BS 4 markerlights in a well-armored skimming, 12" movable chassis! In anything but apocalypse I don't put very many seekers on the other vehicles, but I quite often have a skyray flying about. I rarely make this work, but I like to use a full squad of pathfinders to light up a problem unit like a devastator squad, then all but empty the skyray in the first turn. One its missiles are gone, I try to convince my opponent that it's no longer much of a threat, although they rarely fall for it.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 06:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I personally loathe Seeker Missiles as they are now. They have a very niche purpose; hunting down (Tau/IG/SM especially) IC's, or AV10 vehicles. Anything else, and you risk losing the missile and ML, or it just can't deal damage consistently(like against Monoliths).

However, if they were to to be diversified into a few different categories(all very niche though, such as anti-light infantry, EMP, anti-T4/2+, anti-cover), and all properly costed, I would probably field them to help my XV8's fill in the gaps within my lines.

But in their current incarnation, we have so much stuff which does their job better.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2008, 07:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I call my Skyray a Sunray. Blacksun filter, BS4 markelights on first turn DoW able to direct hell from my broadside boyz. And when not DoW, I'd empty my racks ASAP. After that, I have a mobile marker boat for the rest of the game. The opponents not in the know ignore it, those who do sometimes try to hard chasing it, and those who remember I still have pathfinders and a stealthed marker team tear their hair out trying to shoot at too many things at once. >

Then comes CC monsters. :-\

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote