Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dawn of War spotters?
Old 05 Sep 2008, 04:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer
Default Dawn of War spotters?

I bring this up as I have been putting some thought to this, and wonder who else may have as well.

In 5th, many of us will at least have a single static set of firewarriors to take a close by objective, with which we can use for pulse fire. Sometimes we give them a markerlight. For Dawn of War, depending on the army the initial shooting can be critical, and with night fight in effect this doesn't always work well. This can be somewhat countered by giving one of these early game squatter teams a markerlight and a blacksun filter, making sure sight is made for the light and allowing the critical shot to be made, for example by a team of broadsides.

Now the question is, is the additional 3-9 points to outfit static lights with blacksun filters worth it for a single turn every third game? (Going by statistics and the mission chart, sometimes tournaments do weird things) Is the tactical advantage enough to justify it?
Old 05 Sep 2008, 05:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Dawn of War spotters?

I think in the end, this would seem as no. Though it would honestly depend on whether or not you have those points to spare. If you have everything full up where you want it, and are trying to figure out where to add say 10pts, then sure....it makes ssense. BUT if your problem is taking out something and adding in this upgrade, I wouldn't.

1 in 3 games is iffy...you could have situations where you play nightfight 4 games in a row, or play no nightfight games. This is only going to help you for 1 turn, and to top that off you still have to hit with the markerlight, if you miss....sucks for you, further waste.

My tau codex has been stolen since I last used it so I'm currently unable to peruse the Wargear section, but I'm quite certain there are better upgrades you can give your squads than a BSF and Markerlight...

On the other side of the arguement, you could go for the "all or none" point of view where your aim becomes a devistating shooting turn 1, where you completely negate the Nightfight, and lay waste to as much as you can. But this can be tricky and iffy at best.

hope this helps!

-Knight
“If I were a proper brother-captain, I would know the prayer we are supposed to say. But I think you all know what we have to do. We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember." - Acting Brother-Capitan Alric of the Grey Knights.
GKTerminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 05:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Rule of thumb, don't dedicate it, but have it just in case. I give my Skyray a BSF because of its mobility and its ability to deliver one hit for my Broadsides to destroy AV14 at night. I give my Railhead that for the same reason, though it has to get closer. My fireknives and deathrains have it, but I've yet to test if it was a better choice over a TA or a flamer.

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2008, 18:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If you are up against grey knights then blacksun filters are almost a necessity because they have some sort of holy light thing that means you have to use night fighting rules all the time and I'm quite sure that the blacksun filter would be good use against them
Old 07 Sep 2008, 18:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammerz
If you are up against grey knights then blacksun filters are almost a necessity because they have some sort of holy light thing that means you have to use night fighting rules all the time and I'm quite sure that the blacksun filter would be good use against them
*sigh* The Shrouding, whilst similar in game mechanics to Night Fighting, is NOT Night Fighting, and therefore things which work against Night Fighting offer NO help at all against The Shrouding.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 05:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
*sigh* The Shrouding, whilst similar in game mechanics to Night Fighting, is NOT Night Fighting, and therefore things which work against Night Fighting offer NO help at all against The Shrouding.
I actually recall quite clearly in the FAQ (4th Ed. mind you), that acute senses did work against the shrouding. Space Wolves were used as the example, and it had something about smelling the sacred incense a mile away.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2008, 11:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
I actually recall quite clearly in the FAQ (4th Ed. mind you), that acute senses did work against the shrouding. Space Wolves were used as the example, and it had something about smelling the sacred incense a mile away.
Yep, but that WAS 4th Edition. In the 5th Edition Daemonhunters FAQ, it clearly states that things which interact with Night Fighting (giving Searchlights and Acute Senses as examples) do NOT give any bonus against The Shrouding.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote