Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2 quick fluff questions (ice+vash'ya)
Old 04 Sep 2008, 11:57   #1 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Default 2 quick fluff questions (ice+vash'ya)

Hey guys, two quick questions. More regarding to the background of the Tau than gaming.

1. Tau seem to mainly colonise arid worlds and T'au is supposed to be fairly arid I believe. Is this some biological need or just a preference? Do they need to be in warmer atmosphere than humans, or operate better in hotter conditions? And have the Tau settled any ice worlds and how would they go about fighting on one, given it would be so much colder than their usual arid worlds.

2. Vash'ya. I've had an obsession with them for ages. The only apparent information is that it means between spheres and they probably take great pride in, and have a strong air caste. Regarding the 'between spheres', what is this likely to mean? Twin suns in the Sept? Or expansion spheres?

Thanks for any help, and please move it if it shouldn't be here. I'm thinking about painting my Tau from Vash'ya in a snow camo, and I'm curious about basic background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 12:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 2 quick fluff questions (ice+vash'ya)

No, in the original Tau Codex, there's an article on the Damocles Gulf Crusade that specifically mentions that the Tau have an Ice World called Viss'el.

For Vash'ya, I would believe that it means that its huge proportion of the Kor go between different spheres on their travels, but it really is open to interpretation
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 18:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Between two spheres. I believe since planets are more or less spherical it refers to a major space based colony, probally in gravitational balance between two larger binary planets in orbit. Since 'y' is often used in reference to large objects that's why I take planets rather than the idea of 'spheres of expansion' however I haven't looked at the timeline to check, so it might very well mean that.

Well let's put the Ice world theory here;

Would we go and live on Mercury if it had an atmosphere?

No of course not! We want an 'Earth like' planet, the Tau want a T'au like planet. (Hmm...just noted that T'au means 'Of Ages&#39 That is they prefer to have a slightly desert like planet whose temperate regions are savanna and polar regions a bit like our Temperate zones of habitation. That is why humans and Tau fight over similar planets because they are co-habitatble.

The reasons for fighting over an ice world can be many, because simply put interstellar empires would need to call on more resources than just a few solar systems. It is likely that their are particular resources that aren't all that common on most planets. We only have to look at Hydrocarbons and Copper here on planet Earth to realise that a civilisation hundreds the size of our own would get though a planets worth of resources in a few years.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 23:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

1. The tau homeworld is described a couple of times as dry and arid, and they had an easier time on Taros / T'ros than the humans did, but both races have advanced enough technology that they can manage in a wide variety of climates. On an ice world, tau would adapt their camouflage and gear appropriately. At most, battlesuits, drones, and vehicles would remove some cooling fins or play with the fuel mixtures a bit. Fire warriors might wear armor one size bigger than usual and put a layer of insulation under it. Kroot would probably kill some polar bears and wear their pelts. Even if you're a real stickler for detail, the kroot parkas would be the only thing you'd have to model differently, besides giving everything an arctic rather than desert paint scheme. I see you've already considered a snow camo, which sounds great. The more tau out there that aren't painted brown and yellow, the happier I will be!

2. "Between the spheres" could mean any number of things. Possibly it was colonized at an odd time, causing debate over which phase of expansion it belonged in, but I really don't like that theory. It could be a binary star system, although they mention that explicitly for one of the other colonies. I think it's going to have something to do with the planet or its moons. There could be two planets around its sun that share an orbit for some reason, or Vash'ya could have two moons. I've saved the best theory for last, though: it has one nice big moon to hold a base of some kind, but the air caste built another one, of similar size and shape, and put it in the same orbit 180 degress off.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 01:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
It could be a binary star system, although they mention that explicitly for one of the other colonies.
That would be Vior'la.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 04:05   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Taros book has a few references to how Tau physiology compares with that of humans. The Imperium at least believes that the Tau are far less susceptible to dehydration. Their temperature tolerances are compareable, as I recall.

So when it comes to terraforming, the Tau may simply not add as much water to the environment as the Imperium or Eldar would. But in terms of the worlds they can colonize without terraforming, I assume it varies.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 07:32   #7 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Ok thanks for that advice. Although I see the Vash'ya issue is ambiguous. Although tell me this. Are Septs systems or planets? Or the main planet of a system? (ie. capital). Because if it's a system, then the moons/space-station theory wouldn't work (though I have thought about it). Although a Space-station 'world' between two planets could be rather interesting...

And regarding snow worlds, would the Tau be likely to colonise these as major civilised worlds or just use them as outposts (military or mining).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 07:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I believe that the septs are systems, and the climate of individual worlds within the sept varies.

The one recorded tundra world, Viss'el, was just a small fishing outpost. Can't see the Tau living in one unless it was the only world in the sector.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 07:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tau_devil Send a message via Yahoo to Tau_devil

Viss'el was a fishing world and the imperails used Melta torpedos to melt the ice around the settlement to destroy it.
Old 05 Sep 2008, 11:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal585
Are Septs systems or planets?
Well I don't think that issue has been clearly stated. In my mind a Sept is a group of satellite systems feeding into a central main one with multiple colonised planets and spacestations.

While non-Sept worlds are just planetside colonised planets perhaps 3 or 4 small colony sites, rather than any cities or planet scale infrastructure.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote