Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marker drones in 5th edition
View Poll Results: Now that marker drones can JSJ with a battlesuit unit, are you using them, and why?
Yes, I'll pay their price for a mobile networked markerlight 13 30.23%
yes, because my hardpoints are full and I can't add a targetting array 6 13.95%
no, they're still too expensive for what you get 12 27.91%
I still can't decide 12 27.91%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03 Sep 2008, 20:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Marker drones in 5th edition

Just for reference, here are some pros and cons on these little guys.

For marker drone:
You don't need LOS from another unit to get your markerlight hit.
They're more mobile than anything but a skyray.
They can be hardwired.

Against marker drones:
If you want BS increase, targeting arrays are cheaper unless you have 5+ suits.
For other markerlight duties, other sources are cheaper.

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 21:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Re: Marker drones in 5th edition

I'm pro only in the case of Stealth Suits. For any other unit, I'd rather go with Pathfinders, as you can save a ton of money on car insurance points on their DF, and the DF will also help in a supportive sense.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 21:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, I run a 3 man SMT, mainly because I hate pathfinders (the squad size and compulsory DF really annoy me), but my Stealth loadout gives me 4 ML's, which can be split between 2 different targets if I wish. I may look at biting the bullet at somepoint and actually making room for pathfinders later down the track, but quite frankly, the drones do what I need at this stage, and they are invisible to boot
Old 04 Sep 2008, 00:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Marker Drones are too expensive and not reliable enough. They die pretty easily and you can never take enough of them. I would consider taking them with a Stealth Team but usually my Elites are full of crisis suits. Pathfinders are by far the most efficient way to get marker lights onto the table. Especially since I run a fully mobile list anyway. I just give the pathfinder fish to a squad of fire warriors and viola. They become half as expensive as the squad once was in effect.

But if Marker Drones were 20 points then I'd seriously consider taking them more often. As they are they're just too expensive.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 03:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I also use 3 Marker Drones with a squad of Stealth Suits. They are excellent for fast markers.

I have found this tactic very usefull

The 3 Stealth suits with 3 marker drones and each with targetting arrays. Also give the Shas'ui a markerlight.
Then 2 crisis teams 3 suits each. Each with Missle Pod and Burst Cannon.
Target a single large enemy squad, such as a group of 30 ork boys or tyranid gaunts. Chances are you will get 2 marks. But if you get more than that. The result is painful. 9 BS 4 shots from the stealth suits, 9 BS 4 Burst Cannons shots from the Crisis Suits, then 6 Missle Shots from the Suits. Thats 24 powerful shots. This is just one of many reasons I love Marker Drones.
Old 04 Sep 2008, 03:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
But if Marker Drones were 20 points then I'd seriously consider taking them more often. As they are they're just too expensive.
Not that expensive when you consider what you actually get when attaching them to a Stealth squad. For your points you get Markerlight drones that:

Can move and shoot
Jump Shoot Jump
Stealth Shield
Infiltrate

and probably a couple of other things I forgot about while my brain slowly atrophies here at work. I personally thing they are a better and longer lasting option that PF's
Old 04 Sep 2008, 06:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I'm pretty well aware of what they can do. Just because they can do a lot of stuff doesn't make them not overpriced. Considering that all of the stuff that they do depends on the marker drones ballistic skill of 3 then you're only going to be getting any benefit from this half the time. A small number of units that are very expensive and just as likely to fail as they are to succeed in providing any benefit is not worth my points.

And I guess you could argue that pathfinders aren't as surivable. However if you defend them properly then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Also all the shooting wasted on them is shooting that won't get directed towards fire warriors that can really win a game for you.

Pathfinders are almost double the mareker lights for half the points when compared to stealth suits with marked drones.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 08:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I figure that for the price of one Marker Drone, I can get two Shas'Ui markerlight/HW Target Lock packages. This doubles my markerlights and since they are in Firewarrior squads then they are more survivable.
Old 04 Sep 2008, 09:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

And thats a fine and viable option if you are wanting to run a static gunline. I prefer full mobility for my Tau army though, which means the markerlight package for fire warrior squads (and pathfinders) is not an option. Hence my willingness to pay the extra for the mobility of the SMT. Like most things, it generally comes down to a personal style preference.
Old 04 Sep 2008, 14:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCmdrTyler
I also use 3 Marker Drones with a squad of Stealth Suits. They are excellent for fast markers.

I have found this tactic very usefull

The 3 Stealth suits with 3 marker drones and each with targetting arrays. Also give the Shas'ui a markerlight.
Then 2 crisis teams 3 suits each. Each with Missle Pod and Burst Cannon.
Target a single large enemy squad, such as a group of 30 ork boys or tyranid gaunts. Chances are you will get 2 marks. But if you get more than that. The result is painful. 9 BS 4 shots from the stealth suits, 9 BS 4 Burst Cannons shots from the Crisis Suits, then 6 Missle Shots from the Suits. Thats 24 powerful shots. This is just one of many reasons I love Marker Drones.
How is that working, might I ask? Each stealth squad has only 1 hard point available, and only one of the squad can HW the Drone Controller... This means a maximum of 2 ML drones unless one or more of the other stealth suits drops the Targeting Array.