Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

am I being too careful?
Old 03 Sep 2008, 17:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default am I being too careful?

there have been plenty of tactica on crisis suits, including Korill's work, which I just read. Although i understand that there are some great advantages to the suggested suit builds i field none of them, that's right, no helios, no burning eye, nothing.

I appreciate that in a Tau army Crisis suits are paramount since they are easily one of the most powerful units in the 40k universe. blah blah you've heard all this before. I field 5 crisis suits including my commander and his bodyguard, so i have just 1, 3 man squad.

however i have discovered that my crisis build is very peculiar, as a rule everyone of my crisis suits down to the lowest shas'ui, are equipped with a shield generator, taking up the 3rd hard point.

now in every tactica i have seen, the shield generator is usually only used for Shas'el or 'O. which too me never made much sense. this may be down to who i play, but i play mostly against marines and IG, usually with a chunk of Melta and plasma. every time I've fielded crisis suits without shield generators i have watched them be mowed down, usually because my opponents target them as a dangerous unit.

my question is, what is wrong with this idea? since no-one ever seems to recommend it.

either, i'm a genius and have found the missing link (highly unlikely)
or i'm doing something really stupid with my suits, would it really increase their ability if i took of a 4+ invulnerable save and replaced it with a target lock? the tacitca tells me yes, but the reality tells me i end up with a burnt crisp of a crisis suit.

so am i being too careful about keeping my suits alive, or am i actually doing the right thing?
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 17:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: am I being too careful?

(YAYC) in other words Your Army Your Choice.
i used to field all shields aswell but i replaced them with other stuff to get my Pihranas in.
Old 03 Sep 2008, 17:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by <<Majonga>>
either, i'm a genius and have found the missing link (highly unlikely)
or i'm doing something really stupid with my suits, would it really increase their ability if i took of a 4+ invulnerable save and replaced it with a target lock? the tacitca tells me yes, but the reality tells me i end up with a burnt crisp of a crisis suit.

so am i being too careful about keeping my suits alive, or am i actually doing the right thing?
Most players I've seen play suits rely on hiding behind cover or obstacles to avoid being shot entirely, then jump-shoot-jump back behind cover.

Not being able to be shot at beats the heck out of shield gens and doesn't cost anything extra.
Old 03 Sep 2008, 17:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

There is nothing necessarily 'wrong' with the idea of fielding a crisis suit team with shield generators, however, you are nearly DOUBLING the suits cost for something that: A. Could fail on anything less than a 4+ still rendering it useless and B. Doesn't effect the storm of fire you're gunna get from non-ap2 weapons.

It's much more efficient to use the mobility of the crisis suit to dodge those ap2 weapons (which usually have shorter range) than to rely on such an expensive piece.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 18:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

NO, YOU AREN'T! I often run my Crisis teams all shielded (though, admittedly, I use Mon'ats mostly), so they have a better chance of surviving their primary role: armor hunting. In game terms, the 4+ Inv. save is the best widely available, and the cheapest to boot. It's great for those tank stalking suits that don't have the advantage of being able to jump from cover to cover, and will help them survive to close to Fusion half-range.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 19:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think it comes down to style of play. Crisis suit configurations are flexible so that they can fill in tactical gaps in any Tau army but this means that they can also make up for weaknesses that we may have as generals (and we all have weaknesses)

Bottom line, if it works for you and your style of play then who are we to say you’re wrong…

Third Sphere
Old 03 Sep 2008, 21:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It could also be the table you play on. Most people, including myself, use the mobility of the crisis suits to keep them behind cover, but that implies that there is enough cover on the table to hide behind. The invulnerable save that a shield generator gives you is only needed if you are in direct LOS of a big weapon like a lascannon. Since those weapons tend to be slow moving, you can usually avoid that. Melta guns, I admit are a different matter. Since they're so short-ranged, you are unlikely to get cover, but most suits can outrange a melta-gun. If you are running a suit like the helios, which relies on short range to be effective, then an invulnerable save starts to make sense. In most cases, though, I prefer a shield drone or two to a shield generator. They're cheaper, and you can fail the save against an Instant Death weapon without losing the suit.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 23:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I dont think that you're being too carefull. If you're running them as Monats then you'll wanna keep them alive as long as possible. I generally run A LOT more battlesuits than you and I just use cover or other units as cover to give them cover saves. It's essentially the same thing as giving them a shield gen. If there's not much cover then I sometimes take 1 unit of suits with shield gens and I line them up so that the unit with shield generators give cover to all the suits without. That way everyone gets a 4+ cover save. It's pretty funny actually.

In any case, I'm pretty much agreeing with everyone else in saying that if it works for you then there's no reason to stop. The only reason you should stop is if t ends up getting you beaten.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 20:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I also do not wear shield generators on the suits, though I was thinking more about it since the new wound allocation came out.

I do, however, run in great numbers, the venerable Shield Drone. Not only an Invul save, but an extra wound to boot. All for five less points then the shield generator.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 09:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

the problem i have with sheild drones is that they are hard to come by.

the only shield drone (i only have one) came with the pathfinder shas'ui, where can i get large numbers of them?

i considered converting them but i've already assembled and painted all my gun drones, so i can convert them now
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote