Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Tier List vs Different races
Closed Thread
Old 08 May 2005, 07:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem
Default Tau Tier List vs Different races

I know in general games can go either way, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any general concensus or opinions on how Tau do against certain races.

I would kinda like to know your opinions on who Tau do good against on average and who they usually get their arses handed to him against. For example (don't mean to be accurate):

Tau do great against:

Necron
Orcs
Tyranids

Tau do average against:

Space Marines Shooty (Ultramarines, Dark Angels)
Imperial Guard
Dark Eldar
Daemon Hunters, Witch Hunters

Tau do BAD against:

Eldar
Space Marines Melee (Blood Angels, Space wolves)

Just curious, thanks.
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 08 May 2005, 07:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: Tau Tier List vs Different races

putting them in order from worst to best :

Hard matchups :
Shooty SMurfs (the 6 man las plas army typically)
Necrons (proper warrior hoarde)
Eldar (Tank Whores)
Tyranids (Big Bug List)

Average Matchups :
Eldar (balanced)
SMurfs
WHunters
Tyranids (balanced)

Easy Matchups :
Guard
Nids (swarm)
Dark Eldar
Daemon Hunters
Orcs

(this is with the 3rd Ed. Nids codex, the 4th Ed. Codex will undoubtedly shake it up)

not a comprehensive list, but just off the top of my head.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 08 May 2005, 14:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

There is no real way to simply put it. The reason why, is that everyone's list and everyones opponent's lists look different and play different. For some people, the Necrons are just the worst army ever. For others, it's easy. This could be simply because the easy guy is only facing elite necron units vs the tougher guy is facing pure warrior armies.

When it comes to every army, there's usually a "both ways" to it. Some armies are no doubt just very disadvantaged against Tau, and others who are just very hard for Tau to crack due to weaponry, range and armor.

Instead of going through each race and listing it, I'll probably do the Extremes instead simply because it's too difficult to lump all the variants of a race into a single category. For example - There are several Tyranid variants and several Ork variants which are very easy for Tau to crack, but there are a few who are not so easy as well. The same holds true for most armies, save a few.

Weakest Enemy to Face Tau:

Grey Knight Daemonhunters (Not Inquisitorial Daemonhunters with Inducted Allies)
  • Small elite forces of Grey Knights are slow and have incredibly small units for the point size of the game. They're just a push-over, even in combat for overwhelming them with Kroot. The Grey Knights simply don't have anything going for them against us. The Shrouding is weak and doesn't stop us from seeing them hardly at all, and we outnumber them 3:1 with ease in our games. Grey Knights lack a lot of the long range fight, and what big guns they can bring to the table are put to rest by a railgun on the first turn. Teleporting Grey Knights may seem scary, but they're so few when they do drop that focused fire from even mild groups of both Tau and Kroot burn them away before an assault phase comes around and due to their cost, we don't have to worry about hordes of Grey Knights, but only a very few. Grey Knights and Tau are just not a good match, for either player in terms of competition.

Hardest Enemy for Tau to Face:

Pure Warrior Teleporting Necrons (Not those elite monolith rich, c'tan rich destroyer/wraith armies that are easy to pick apart)
  • Pure warrior armies that teleport around the board are a pain to take on due to the Resurrection orbs and sheer might of 60+ warriors that simply never go away. The Tau simply do not have enough firepower to make it stop and we don't have weaponry like the battle cannon which can speed these types of games along, so in 6 turns we just cannot do it without them taking us down in the process. Taking vehicles against high warrior count armies tend to just be bad ideas as they teleport around and destroy the tanks easily and massed gauss fire just rips into anything that may have been hiding or getting to close to us. They just have too much for us to phase out and are tough nuts to crack.
Old 08 May 2005, 17:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Orcs are defenitely not one of the easier lists, IF played right. And so far as swarm nids go, there are usually quite a few monstrous creatures backing them up, in 3rd edition there really is no "monstrous creature army" (I play nids). But as was mentioned, after the 4th edition codex comes out there will be (feasibly) 8+ monstrous creatures per nid army (2 tyrants, 6 carnis). That is 24 wounds of 6T and 2+ save; 6+ invul on the tyrants. Not a pretty army for tau to play after that codex comes out . Oh and I forgot to mention FoF'ing genestealers, sick stuff.
Old 08 May 2005, 17:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd add Blood Angels and Drop pod marines to the "hard to take on" list. Blood Angels have the Death Company (take 2 chaplains, each generates 3+d3 DC marines, plus whatever you roll at the start of the game so you could be facing 12 DC marines and two chaplains) THey're fast with jump packs, and will tear through your lines in close combat, and will happily rip up tanks. Skimmer rules do not defend against their obscene number of str5 attacks and litanies of hate. And they are very VERY difficult to destroy. You need everything in your list firing at them for 2-3 turns to kill them, and while you do that the rest of his list will tear you up.

Mechanised Space Marines are fairly OK to take on. Lots of light armour, and relatively few marines.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 08 May 2005, 17:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Agreed, mech marines are VERY easy to take on sometimes; get all the transports and the very small numbers of marines left shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08 May 2005, 17:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Also maybe its just me but I find pure warrior armys while good vs mech tau (although I have never lost to one) suck it hard vs any other army and really arent very hard to beat at all.
Old 08 May 2005, 20:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
I'd add Blood Angels and Drop pod marines to the "hard to take on" list. Blood Angels have the Death Company (take 2 chaplains, each generates 3+d3 DC marines, plus whatever you roll at the start of the game so you could be facing 12 DC marines and two chaplains) THey're fast with jump packs, and will tear through your lines in close combat, and will happily rip up tanks. Skimmer rules do not defend against their obscene number of str5 attacks and litanies of hate. And they are very VERY difficult to destroy. You need everything in your list firing at them for 2-3 turns to kill them, and while you do that the rest of his list will tear you up.

Mechanised Space Marines are fairly OK to take on. Lots of light armour, and relatively few marines.
I dont have in game experience with these armies myself, but they seem really not that hard looking at their rules :P( DC less so but pod marines yes)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 08 May 2005, 22:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Dizzy thats because many armies really dont "work" in low point games. Tau in low points are really good, while many armies cant bring a suitable force in 1000 points.

Ever faced 2 Deepstiking "boo" librarians? It sucks hard for tau and eldar.
Old 09 May 2005, 05:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by VV1LD
Dizzy thats because many armies really dont "work" in low point games. Tau in low points are really good, while many armies cant bring a suitable force in 1000 points.

Ever faced 2 Deepstiking "boo" librarians? It sucks hard for tau and eldar.
sound scary i took out a blood angel army really easy with mech just moved and shoot he could get in to CC when im moving 12" all over the place onces a marine sqaud was alone i hit it with 2 fof and some sealth suits work great but the kid forgot to bring in the death sqaud

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Closed Thread