Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau night fight tactics
Old 02 Sep 2008, 16:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90
Default Tau night fight tactics

Well I read reading through the rule book finally, have come to realize how specialized the tau are fighting at night. They are probably the best night fighters in the game when it comes to firing at night. So here are some things that I have noticed that might help some others.

All suits have acute senses: Do not forget this. In the new rules, acute senses allows you to re roll the distance for spotting at night. This could be vital, and could possibly let the tau have a massive first turn shooting, which I will explain how later.

Smart missile system everything!: Smart missile systems could be the pinnacle of small arms fire technology. No line of sight needed, four shots at a time, as strong as a pulse rifle, and best of all, ignores night fight. Give these to your hammer heads and warfish, and see how well they work on first turn.

Black sun filter: These cheap peices of hardware are usually taken as filler, but used correctly they could be a life saver. If you slap these on your crisis suits, your almost guaranteed to see with being able to re roll and also doubling distance. You could actually also give this to your Shas'ui in your fire warrior squad, and give him marker light if needed. Also your Shas'ui in your pathfinder squad could benefit also from this same tactic. Vehicles also can take this, letting that railgun fire out at some heavy tanks, while almost guaranteed to take no shots in return. These things could be a life saver.

Independants joining units: Now this came to me while reading the acute senses special ability, I quote " Characters with this rule confer it onto any unit they join, as long as they are part of the unit." So what does this mean? This means that say you REALLY want your pathfinders to marker light that certain leman russ across the field. You join your Shas'O into the unit, and Voila! They can now re roll their spotting distance! Coupled with the Shas'Ui's Black sun filter, you're almost guaranteed one marker light will have the chance to hit. Also if you have a mon'at team, you could have them join any fire warrior squads, and then they are now able to re roll spotting distances. I think this might come in handy!

Infiltraters!: Don't forget that you're kroot will be able to infiltrate close enough to the point where they will most likely naturally be able to roll good enough to get a few shots off! These close up fighters could come in handy with distracting the very few units in the enemys army that might could shoot, or they could advance unmolested in the cover of night!

Marker Lights: Don't forget about the effects of these guys! Along with uping BS and denying cover, they could also make a unit ignore the effects of night fight. This is quite the special ability if you want to surprise you're foe with a roaring first turn volley.

Well I hope this helps some people out and gives them ideas on how to fight that very unwanted first turn of night. Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoyed the read!

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 21:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Re: Tau night fight tactics

Just some response from the peanut gallery....

Acute Senses: It's a fantastic rule. Not too much more to say here. Battlesuits with twinlinked weapons and BSF will lay down some hurt in turn 1.

SMS: It's one of the best weapons in the game. There cant be any argument there. The only downside to the weapon is that you cant give one to everything! hehe....

Blacksun filters... are best on suits and vehicles. I say this because if you're going to be using your infantry in turn 1 of a dawn of war game then they come on the table as though they moved. Meaning your pathfinders will be unable to markerlight in turn 1. Your fire warriors could be an unreliable alternative. Wth a markerlight your fire warrior shas'ui will be expensive because you'll have to give him all sorts of extra wargear to make it so that his firing of the markerlight wont cripple the shooting of the whole unit. Also, he's only going to hit half the time and there's nothing you can do about that. Also, I dont like to have anything on the table at the beginning of Dawn of War anyway. That's just me though. Some may disagree but I've done it a few times and it's worked out great each time.

I did not notice that bit about independent characters giving this ability to any unit they join. That does make marker drones a little more attractive of an option for turn 1 markerlights when they're with crisis suits. I'm also reconsidering the option of the stealth suit with targetting array and marker light. It seems like a better option than the skyray, but I like having my elite slots filled with crisis suit teams.

Infiltrators: I wouldn't really ever infiltrate kroot that close to an enemy army. They're too fragile. Actually I dont really use kroot anymore. I just dont have a lot of use for them. I usually build heavily mechanized lists and the kroot dont fit in all that well with my play style. I like playing armies where my whole army can move 12" and shoot. It makes it realy easy to catch objectives.

Yeah, there's not many reliable ways to get markers on the table in turn 1. I'm thinking about either trying a skyray or a stealth team with marker light and marker drones. Either option is not ideal for the way I play because I dont like to give up my elite and heavy slots. But it could really pay off if I can pop a few tanks in turn 1.

You should check out my thread entitled "Night fight is for Tau" some people have posted some pretty interesting info there...
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 22:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

yeah, i seen that thread and decided that maybe some night fights tactics would work well. Also I don't think kroot are to fragile, I use them all the time. two units of 14 with a hound and shaper, stick them in the right cover and they could last the game. They have won me games single handedly before, and I never leave without them.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 22:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's cool. I ran my kroot a little differently. I would run minimal squads because I usually focus on keeping my list mechanized completely and that doesn't work that well for kroot... I mean you could put twelve of them in a devilfish but at that point why not just use fire warriors? Anyway, good insight though....

I just hope you didn't think I was saying that your ideas were bad. I just play differently.
Old 02 Sep 2008, 23:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm not sure about the battlesuits. Average rolling distance for Night Fight is 21". Since that most weapons are under 18" it will pose a relatively big problem for the suits.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 03:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Depends on the Battlesuit, of course. Missile Pods definitely need the boost, and it might be worth it for a plasma rifle shot as well.
Old 03 Sep 2008, 04:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
I'm not sure about the battlesuits. Average rolling distance for Night Fight is 21". Since that most weapons are under 18" it will pose a relatively big problem for the suits.
Deathrains with Black Sun Filters is the way to go. The targetting array is kinda superfluous considering the boost doesn't really do too much for you considering the weapon is already twinlinked. It's also cheaper too. I've used this configuration to drop some nasty turn 1 surprises on people.

Also, I take a command squad of fireknives and I give them all hardwired black sun filters. Their plasma is usually out of range but the missile pods add an extra bit of shooting that can make a difference in slowing my opponents down.